suddenly steering is hard

Old April 20th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
pablorCJ7

Default suddenly steering is hard

Hi there,

It's been a looong time since I posted here. I'm having a problem with
my power steering. I just reinforced the frame on my 1981 CJ-7, by
welding 1/8" plates on the outer side of the frame (both sides).

The problem I have now is that my steering is suddenly hard sometimes
and it doesn't want to return by itself... Any ideas what would be
causing this? I checked the fluid level and it's ok. I also checked
the terminals and all seem fine. There is nothing on the way of the
steering shaft that may be causing binding either...

- Pablo

Old April 20th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

When mine recently blew a ball joint it acted like you describe.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 20th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On 19 Apr 2007 18:31:37 -0700, pablorCJ7 >
wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>It's been a looong time since I posted here. I'm having a problem with
>my power steering. I just reinforced the frame on my 1981 CJ-7, by
>welding 1/8" plates on the outer side of the frame (both sides).
>
>The problem I have now is that my steering is suddenly hard sometimes
>and it doesn't want to return by itself... Any ideas what would be
>causing this? I checked the fluid level and it's ok. I also checked
>the terminals and all seem fine. There is nothing on the way of the
>steering shaft that may be causing binding either...
>
>- Pablo

The fact that you had to reinforce the frame tell me that steering box
is under a lot of stress that it was never design to handle. Given its
age if it is the original box it is likely due replacement but for
some reason some seem to think that they never wear out nor that lifts
and big tires have no effect on their life span. .
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old April 20th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
pablorCJ7

On Apr 20, 9:05 am, SnoMan > wrote:

> The fact that you had to reinforce the frame tell me that steering box
> is under a lot of stress that it was never design to handle. Given its
> age if it is the original box it is likely due replacement but for
> some reason some seem to think that they never wear out nor that lifts
> and big tires have no effect on their life span. .
> -----------------
> TheSnoMan.com

I replaced my steering box with an AGR SuperBox2 about 7 years ago...
I reinforced the frame for "peace of mind" because over the years I
have had to weld many small cracks. Our road infrastrcuture here in
South America is terrible, and the roads are full of holes.

Old April 20th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

pablorCJ7 wrote:
> On Apr 20, 9:05 am, SnoMan > wrote:
>> The fact that you had to reinforce the frame tell me that steering box
>> is under a lot of stress that it was never design to handle. Given its
>> age if it is the original box it is likely due replacement but for
>> some reason some seem to think that they never wear out nor that lifts
>> and big tires have no effect on their life span. .
>> -----------------
>> TheSnoMan.com

> I replaced my steering box with an AGR SuperBox2 about 7 years ago...
> I reinforced the frame for "peace of mind" because over the years I
> have had to weld many small cracks. Our road infrastrcuture here in
> South America is terrible, and the roads are full of holes.

I spotted my problem because one wheel had a slight lean to it compared
to the other and when I examined the ball joints, the grease boot had
torn out on one. If it has enough play to wreck a grease boot, it is
cooked.

When I put my new frame into my CJ7, it is also getting plated for extra
strength and that peace of mind, especially if I have to go used on the
frame.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old April 20th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On 20 Apr 2007 07:36:44 -0700, pablorCJ7 >
wrote:

>I replaced my steering box with an AGR SuperBox2 about 7 years ago...
>I reinforced the frame for "peace of mind" because over the years I
>have had to weld many small cracks. Our road infrastrcuture here in
>South America is terrible, and the roads are full of holes.

I understand that but even then 7 years is a long time for a steering
box in those conditions. Jeep used to come with GM steering boxes that
were pretty sturdy. My 79 J20 still has factroy GM box and pump and it
plowed snow for many year. It is time for a new box in it thought it
still works it is just low/erratic on boost at times and a bit loose.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old April 20th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
pablorCJ7

On 20 abr, 11:40, SnoMan > wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2007 07:36:44 -0700, pablorCJ7 >
> wrote:
>
> >I replaced my steering box with an AGR SuperBox2 about 7 years ago...
> >I reinforced the frame for "peace of mind" because over the years I
> >have had to weld many small cracks. Our road infrastrcuture here in
> >South America is terrible, and the roads are full of holes.

> I understand that but even then 7 years is a long time for a steering
> box in those conditions. Jeep used to come with GM steering boxes that
> were pretty sturdy. My 79 J20 still has factroy GM box and pump and it
> plowed snow for many year. It is time for a new box in it thought it
> still works it is just low/erratic on boost at times and a bit loose.
> -----------------
> TheSnoMan.com

Well, thankfully I just fixed the problem. I read an old post from
year 2000 on this same group where a guy had this problem and had come
up with this solution: I poured some lightweight oil all over the
steering shaft and box from the firewall down to the box...
Everything is back to normal now. :-)

Thanks for all your help. I was about to tear down the pump and box....

Old April 20th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Apr 20, 3:31 pm, pablorCJ7 > wrote:
> On 20 abr, 11:40, SnoMan > wrote:
>
> > On 20 Apr 2007 07:36:44 -0700, pablorCJ7 >
> > wrote:

> > >I replaced my steering box with an AGR SuperBox2 about 7 years ago...
> > >I reinforced the frame for "peace of mind" because over the years I
> > >have had to weld many small cracks. Our road infrastrcuture here in
> > >South America is terrible, and the roads are full of holes.

> > I understand that but even then 7 years is a long time for a steering
> > box in those conditions. Jeep used to come with GM steering boxes that
> > were pretty sturdy. My 79 J20 still has factroy GM box and pump and it
> > plowed snow for many year. It is time for a new box in it thought it
> > still works it is just low/erratic on boost at times and a bit loose.
> > -----------------
> > TheSnoMan.com

> Well, thankfully I just fixed the problem. I read an old post from
> year 2000 on this same group where a guy had this problem and had come
> up with this solution: I poured some lightweight oil all over the
> steering shaft and box from the firewall down to the box...
> Everything is back to normal now. :-)
>
> Thanks for all your help. I was about to tear down the pump and box....

You may want to change the steering shaft at some time since it sounds
like it is worn out.

Old April 20th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

pablorCJ7 wrote:

> Well, thankfully I just fixed the problem. I read an old post from
> year 2000 on this same group where a guy had this problem and had come
> up with this solution: I poured some lightweight oil all over the
> steering shaft and box from the firewall down to the box...
> Everything is back to normal now. :-)
>
> Thanks for all your help. I was about to tear down the pump and box....

Interesting. The u-joint was seizing up eh. Usually they get loose and
sloppy. I oil mine regularly like you will likely do but it is still
getting sloppy. There is a company local to me that will rebuild them
with a greasable joint. I want to go that route some day.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old April 21st 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
pablorCJ7

On Apr 20, 4:21 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
> Interesting. The u-joint was seizing up eh. Usually they get loose and
> sloppy. I oil mine regularly like you will likely do but it is still
> getting sloppy. There is a company local to me that will rebuild them
> with a greasable joint. I want to go that route some day.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

I will certainly oil it from now on ;-)