97 Civic HX Axle

Old October 28th 04, 01:29 AM
Brian

Default 97 Civic HX Axle

Hi -
I am trying to replace the right side axle half-shaft, and can't get the
spindle nut loose. I applied approximately 700 ft-lb torque - can't break
it loose. There are no visible threads - I am hoping it is a right-hand
thread? Any suggestions to get it loose? I am almost lifting the wheel off
the garage floor trying to loosen it.
Thanks -
Brian

Old October 28th 04, 03:30 AM
disallow

Did you bend the 'kink' out of the nut properly? If its
still catching on the flat spont on the end of the spindle,
that could cause some difficulty. I usually use a flat
screwdriver to get it going, then a philips to make it
stretch out of the flat spot.

I also usually leave the tire on, on the ground. Just
remove the hubcap or center insignia on my wheel.

If everything else fails, take it to a shop and get them to
zap it off with impact.

Old October 28th 04, 12:47 PM
Brian

I'm pretty sure the "kink" was far enough out on the nut - I'll check again.
I did have the tire on the ground, and I did try an impact gun. And also a
breaker bar with a 5 foot pipe...
Brian

lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 28th 04, 05:52 PM
disallow

kinda sounds like when I tried to get my crank pulley
bolt off. I would take it to a shop, and get them to use
house air with one of their big bertha 650ft-lb impact
guns. Guaranteed to get it off...

1994 E36 Vibration in rear axle? Lordy BMW 7 February 4th 05 03:35 AM
K2500 Front Axle Help Bob 4x4 4 December 10th 04 05:57 AM
Water in my axle and t-case! HELP! Carl Saiyed 4x4 0 August 10th 04 04:59 AM
ISO: information on fairly narrow, driver's side pumpkin, front axle [email protected] 4x4 0 February 7th 04 08:31 PM