rFactor vs. GTR2

Old September 17th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Chang Liu

Default rFactor vs. GTR2

Played a bit of GTR2 yesterday.. Compared to that $40 I've spent on
rFactor.. Seeing how GTR2 is less than $30.. Not to mention TONS better.
I can't help but to feel ripped off.

Some things that bug me in rFactor.. The FF cars on almost every turn
the wheels smoke.. I don't know why and the AI players don't have this
happening when we're all taking the same lines. Also to get money the
"regular" way by earning it takes way too long. Car that used to take
$23k to buy resells for less than $2000... The upgrades themselves don't
list a resell value so always a risk when upgrading and selling
certain things. The game came with only 4 cars?? Seems kind of
pathetic.. Even though there are a lot of fan based release of cars and
tracks.. Perhaps I should at least give the ring a go before I make more
comments about user tracks.. Tsukuba was made very poorly.. The bump
strips at Sugo caught my wheels and threw me off track..

Also... I have the same feeling as I have now about the wheel or just
car physics.. Whats going on with the massive understeer even after a
lot of braking? Or.. for FR cars the tail slides out and even with
proper countersteering and e brake or whatever other method for spin
recovery it still spins out..? Seems like the only thing they got okay
is AWD.. Even still the torque distribution on the AWD cannot be
adjusted, etc etc.. Nor is there fine tuning of the LSD.. The numbers
for tuning roll by 5s or 10s or 15s.. Uh.. How come not like 1s and
0.X's? Even with "full" race package not all the settings can be
adjusted. Not to mention there are only 4 cars...

If anyone wants rFactor I'll sell you my copy.

GTR2 was amazing. Just a overall fun game and very educational. Its been
a while since a game actually teaches how to drive.. RBR did okay but
not good enough. GT's tutorials are amazing (GT on PS2). Forza had
NOTHING! Then again what can you expect out of console games?

Which reminds me... I also played TOCA 3 yesterday... Yeahh.... Did you
know you can plunge into a tight hairpin at 100mph and exit at 70mph
without losing ANY traction what so ever? This is with the so called
"simulation" settings on realistic. Its pretty sad that there is
embedded traction control and stability control and the cars turn on a
dime without any modifications and even with modifications... The tuning
in the game goes on its own scale not like tire pressure in PSI or kPa
but more like from -2 to 2 (something like that). Ride height from 0 to
whatever... 0 being your actually on the ground? So the numbers don't
make much sense... It was fun, however, to get those suspension damage
going over the bump strips a lot, haha.. Refreshing that damage is in
this game when everything else is just like Burnout (no joke).

GTR2 feels better than all the games here though.. The ability to
actually recover from a spin.. Cars can actually turn in and the wheels
don't freaking smoke on all turns.. I wonder why I even bothered trying
rFactor.. Is it really THAT great compared to GTR2?

Lastly Live for Speed is alright as well.. But again, $45 for just a
handful of cars? Additionally its still BETA? Give me a break...
Hopefully someone will just crack version U so I can go see why that
Sauber is so cool.

GTR2 - <$30 USD
LFS - $45 USD
rFactor - $40

RBR - FREE!!! HAHAHAHA (oh wait, oops...)

I salute those who actually bought RBR.

Unlike last time where I only critized rFactor this time I got GTR2 as a
comparison. Don't all the rFactor fanboys flame me all at once.

GTR is KING!!! KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 17th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

Chang Liu wrote:

> I wonder why I even bothered trying
> rFactor.. Is it really THAT great compared to GTR2?

The quality of rFactor depends pretty much entirely on user-made
content. GTR2 ships with content that has been more heavily researched
and developed than anything you're going to get for RF. RF itself is
not really a bad product, the problem is the dependency on fan-made
content which is hit-or-miss (and also a big selling point for a lot of
people for some reason).. I wouldn't give up on it yet, as it's more
than likely the best cars and tracks are still in development.

Old September 17th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryP

There are over 50 Car Mods and over 100 add on tracks, even if 10% of
those are excellent it's plenty for me. Online code is excellent also.
My guess is that will increase weekly as it has since the beginning
with the latest version being released a couple weeks ago.

GP

Old September 17th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Braddo

Where did you find GTR2 in the US?

Old September 17th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

The big unknown in GTR2 is the netcode. So far silence reigns on this
subject in the forum. Probably too early. Until then, rFactor remains
the gold standard for multi. The demo physics were cut to shreds by
disappointed posters. But there were some defenders, as well.
GTR2, unlike rFactor, and like N2k3, will profit from a narrower focus.
RFactor spreads itself very thin- by design- and aspires to accomodate
tintops, open wheelers and stock cars within the same package. This may
or may not be to everyone's taste. CTDP's F1 is the amazing and
polsihed of all the mods to date, IMO- unequalled in polish and quality
and research. But there are other popular series like the Meganes. For
me, it was well worth the forty bucks. I'll hold on to my Visa card for
another week or two.

Old September 18th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes[_1_]

Simple question - what is GTR2 like for online racing?

full fields (say 32 cars) problem free?

Old September 18th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Darryl

Chang Liu wrote:
> Played a bit of GTR2 yesterday.. Compared to that $40 I've spent on
> rFactor.. Seeing how GTR2 is less than $30.. Not to mention TONS better.
> I can't help but to feel ripped off.
>
> Some things that bug me in rFactor.. The FF cars on almost every turn
> the wheels smoke.. I don't know why and the AI players don't have this
> happening when we're all taking the same lines.

It is obvious to me that you are braking too hard. Or your
controller isn't calibrated properly. Or it's just a cheap POS that
isn't doing you any favours.

> Also to get money the
> "regular" way by earning it takes way too long. Car that used to take
> $23k to buy resells for less than $2000... The upgrades themselves don't
> list a resell value so always a risk when upgrading and selling
> certain things.

There are at least two -- well-known -- work-arounds to get more
money. OK, you do have to check some on-line sites to find them, but
I'll bet not everything in GTR2 is in the user manual either.

> The game came with only 4 cars?? Seems kind of
> pathetic..

See above. As well as more money, you can give yourself more
"experience" so that all the other cars become available.

> Even though there are a lot of fan based release of cars and
> tracks.. Perhaps I should at least give the ring a go before I make more
> comments about user tracks..

Maybe you should give a number of tracks a "go" before making more
comments.

> Tsukuba was made very poorly..

Some tracks are poorly done. So, don't use them. There are LOTS of
others.

> The bump
> strips at Sugo caught my wheels and threw me off track..

Gee, ever tried that in real life? Some rumble strips *do* drag
your tires and pull you to the side. On a lot of tracks, drivers stay
well away from the rumble strips for that very reason. On other tracks,
and I guess Monza is the most famous, cars regularly ride the curbs
because they *don't* grab your tires and pull you off-course.

> Also... I have the same feeling as I have now about the wheel or just
> car physics.. Whats going on with the massive understeer even after a
> lot of braking?

Setup?

> Or.. for FR cars the tail slides out and even with
> proper countersteering and e brake or whatever other method for spin
> recovery it still spins out..? Seems like the only thing they got okay
> is AWD.. Even still the torque distribution on the AWD cannot be
> adjusted, etc etc.. Nor is there fine tuning of the LSD.. The numbers
> for tuning roll by 5s or 10s or 15s.. Uh.. How come not like 1s and
> 0.X's? Even with "full" race package not all the settings can be
> adjusted.

It's just not a perfect world, is it?

> Not to mention there are only 4 cars...

Yeah, right! And it would be four MODS, not four cars. If what you
say even was correct. (OK, I'm being a prick and nit-picking.)

> If anyone wants rFactor I'll sell you my copy.

The game would be well served by having you quit playing it anyway,
so I hope someone buys it soon.

--
Darryl

Old September 18th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher

Very silly post.

--
David G Fisher

Old September 18th 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Chang Liu

Its out today. $27 I believe.. I played the cracked version.
Old September 18th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Chang Liu

Darryl wrote:
> [...]

> Setup?
>
>> Or.. for FR cars the tail slides out and even with
>> proper countersteering and e brake or whatever other method for spin
>> recovery it still spins out..? Seems like the only thing they got okay
>> is AWD.. Even still the torque distribution on the AWD cannot be
>> adjusted, etc etc.. Nor is there fine tuning of the LSD.. The numbers
>> for tuning roll by 5s or 10s or 15s.. Uh.. How come not like 1s and
>> 0.X's? Even with "full" race package not all the settings can be
>> adjusted.

> It's just not a perfect world, is it?
>
>> Not to mention there are only 4 cars...

> Yeah, right! And it would be four MODS, not four cars. If what you
> say even was correct. (OK, I'm being a prick and nit-picking.)
>
>> If anyone wants rFactor I'll sell you my copy.

> The game would be well served by having you quit playing it anyway,

Your funny. Go out of your way to do all this. My sincere gratitude
for your efforts.

GTR / GTR2 demands for graphics processor [email protected] Simulators 6 September 2nd 06 09:34 AM
Will GTR2 be multithreaded? Cris Eichler Simulators 4 August 24th 06 04:25 AM
GTR2 Rank Jeff Reid Simulators 0 August 16th 06 10:40 PM
GTR2 Rank COREY Simulators 22 August 14th 06 05:47 PM
New 360 degree views of GTR2 Tony Rickard Simulators 5 June 7th 06 01:16 AM