Passenger side window stuck up (A3 cabrio)

Old August 29th 05, 03:48 PM
Gustavo Arriagada

Default Passenger side window stuck up (A3 cabrio)

Last night, the front passenger window got stuck up. (Fortunately: It was a
rainy night).

When i press the driver or passenger button to get down the window, i can
hear a 'click' from the inside of the door and a noticeable drop of the
instrument cluster lighting.

What can I do?

Gustavo Arriagada.

Old August 29th 05, 03:56 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Gustavo Arriagada wrote:

>Last night, the front passenger window got stuck up. (Fortunately: It was a
>rainy night).
>
>When i press the driver or passenger button to get down the window, i can
>hear a 'click' from the inside of the door and a noticeable drop of the
>instrument cluster lighting.
>
>What can I do?

Try operating the switch "up" then "down".

I would look to the window "regulator" (the mechanical mechanism)
having gone bad and needing replacement.

I don't know what warrantee extensions that might be available to
you.
Old August 29th 05, 04:06 PM
Gustavo Arriagada

> Try operating the switch "up" then "down".

Noting happens... (still hearing the 'clicks'...)

> I would look to the window "regulator" (the mechanical mechanism)
> having gone bad and needing replacement.

I looked at it. In a quick sighting, all the pulleys and cable are OK.

The problem is (according Bentley): To remove the window regulator, i have
to take off the glass first, and i can't get on the clamps in the position
that it got stuck...

> I don't know what warrantee extensions that might be available to
> you.

None.

T.-

Old August 30th 05, 12:34 PM
Mark Randol

In article >, iona
says...

> > Try operating the switch "up" then "down".

> Noting happens... (still hearing the 'clicks'...)

Sounds like the regulator. I don't think this would be it, but check
the wiring harness Just In Case. Would be unfortunate if you ruined the
regulator to get it out and it wasn't bad. Also would be a pain if even
if the regulator was toast but it still didn't work because of the
wiring.

> > I would look to the window "regulator" (the mechanical mechanism)
> > having gone bad and needing replacement.

> I looked at it. In a quick sighting, all the pulleys and cable are OK.

You can't tell from that. One of the failure modes is the cable housing
stop fails and the housing gets into the gears in the regulator and jams
it up. That it failed at one end of it's travel points to this
happening. That's one of the points it's at the most tension.

> The problem is (according Bentley): To remove the window regulator, i have
> to take off the glass first, and i can't get on the clamps in the position
> that it got stuck...

Not really a problem. Cut through the lift end of the cable then the
window will move freely and you can undo the clamps. The window WILL
NOT be held up when you do this, so either have someone hold it or block
it up somehow. Tape it to the windshield, put a wooden rod in to prop
it up inside, just something to keep it from crashing down when you cut
that cable.

Even if it's the motor fried, which is possible but not likely, you're
going to have to cut the cable to get the stuff out to replace it. Once
you get it out, you'll probably be amazed it worked as long as it did.
I was.

Mark
'95 Jetta GLS
Old August 30th 05, 02:29 PM
Gustavo Arriagada

Thanks for share your experience.
I have new doubt now:
The front passenger regulators are standard for 4dr, 2dr, or cabrio?
If i buy a new regulator in www.parts4ws.com, i'm buying the motor too? Or i
have to buy the motor separately?

T.-

Old August 31st 05, 01:50 PM
Mark Randol

In article >, iona
says...
> The front passenger regulators are standard for 4dr, 2dr, or cabrio?
> If i buy a new regulator in
www.parts4ws.com, i'm buying the motor too? Or i
> have to buy the motor separately?

I don't know what's compatible between the different styles. If the
folks you're buying from can't tell you, you're buying from the wrong
folks.

It's easy to tell if it includes the motor. If it's about $100 it's
just the regulator. If it's about $400 it includes the motor.

I'd just go with the regulator first. That's normally all it is,
especially if you see the lights dim or flicker a bit when you push the
switch. Yeah, it's a pain if you do need one, but is ~$300 worth the
relatively unlikely event you need one?

Mark
'95 Jetta GLS
Old August 31st 05, 02:30 PM
Gustavo Arriagada

ok. Thanks.

Old September 2nd 05, 02:01 PM
Gustavo Arriagada

After 7 days with the window stuck up, this morning i pressed the 'down'
button, and surprisingly it get down!

Humidity? Condensation?....

T.-

Old September 2nd 05, 06:53 PM
Robert J Carpenter

For not over the 50th time since I've owned my 2002 Golf I lowered the
right front window half-way. When I commended UP, there was a
snapping sound and now the window will only go down. It's now out of
sight. Appointment for repair Tuesday morning.

Aren't VWs great.....

97 Cabrio power window problem nospamplease VW water cooled 6 August 26th 05 05:48 PM
146 Driver Side Window dean Alfa Romeo 1 December 4th 04 01:35 PM
2001 Ford Mustang - Passenger Window Lewis Ford Mustang 0 November 27th 04 11:41 PM
2000 Cabrio Driver's Window Weatherstripping Question Jose R. Perez VW water cooled 0 October 21st 04 03:32 AM
Passenger side front window bill Audi 4 August 25th 04 07:27 AM