Logitech Driving Force Pro -What WERE they thinking?

Old August 24th 05, 05:10 PM
Larry

Not enough space

I did that trick with my old Flight Yoke from years ago (CW). In fact, it
had an almost identical clamping system as the Driving Pro now that I think
about it.

Different desk, too thick now.

-Larry

Old August 24th 05, 05:17 PM
Larry

I have the second, non-leather momo.

It's ok. I do find the wheel angle very uncomfortable though.

-Larry

Old August 24th 05, 05:18 PM
Larry

Are the Speed 7 FF's going to actually be available soon?

Is there a price yet?

I've been looking at that set

-Larry

Old August 24th 05, 05:19 PM
Larry

I'll spend the $500 US. Where do I pay

-Larry

Old August 24th 05, 05:22 PM
Larry

Hehe. I just bought new furniture

I decided to return it.

No total loss. The $150 went well towards the 23" Samsung Flat-Panel TV I
bought while there. They matched Costco (which suprised me) so I said why
not

-Larry

Old August 24th 05, 05:36 PM
Tim Epstein

"FooAtari" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "Jan Verschueren" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Larry" wrote...
>>> What WERE they thinking? Their top of the line wheel doesn't have
>>> a proper clamping system?

>> Quite aside from it appearing and feeling like a piece of cheap,
>> plastic tat you mean?
>>
>> Having owned a succession of underengineered mass market wheel pedal
>> combo's, starting from a TM1 to the 4-times patched up MOMO Force I
>> use now (original pedals, sorry Jore), I've now basically had it with
>> the mass market solutions. Come September I'll be ordering a BRD
>> Speed7 with matching pedals and finally own simracing gear which won't
>> self-destruct through nomal use.

> How much will that cost?
>
> Just found it, retailing at £399! I think most people will have to stick
> with the mass market wheel

I think you found an old ad (2001) for the non FF wheel and pedal combo. The
new Speed 7 wheel (much delayed) with FF will be £750 for the standard
version and £1000 for the LCD version. Pedals are extra.

Tim

Old August 24th 05, 06:12 PM
FooAtari

"Tim Epstein" > wrote in
. uk:

> "FooAtari" > wrote in message
> . 1.4...
>> "Jan Verschueren" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> "Larry" wrote...
>>>
>>> Quite aside from it appearing and feeling like a piece of cheap,
>>> plastic tat you mean?
>>>
>>> Having owned a succession of underengineered mass market wheel pedal
>>> combo's, starting from a TM1 to the 4-times patched up MOMO Force I
>>> use now (original pedals, sorry Jore), I've now basically had it
>>> with the mass market solutions. Come September I'll be ordering a
>>> BRD Speed7 with matching pedals and finally own simracing gear which
>>> won't self-destruct through nomal use.

>> How much will that cost?
>>
>> Just found it, retailing at £399! I think most people will have to
>> stick with the mass market wheel

> I think you found an old ad (2001) for the non FF wheel and pedal
> combo. The new Speed 7 wheel (much delayed) with FF will be £750 for
> the standard version and £1000 for the LCD version. Pedals are extra.
>
> Tim

Sweet jesus...

Old August 25th 05, 02:39 AM
Jan Verschueren

"FooAtari" wrote...
>> <snip>

> How much will that cost?
>
> Just found it, retailing at £399! I think most people will have
> to stick with the mass market wheel

It's actually more like <cough>750 quid</cough>, with the pedals coming in
at an extra 150.

Serious money, for sure, but let me put that into perspective: having raced
sims since 1994 I've already binned 250 Pounds worth of wheel/pedal combos
(TM1+TM2+LWFF).
The MOMO Force cost and additional 180 pounds to buy and, in total, I guess
I must calculate well over a 1000 pounds in man-hours repairing/modding my
wheels over the years just to keep them going and/or improving their feel.

As with any worthwhile hobby one takes seriously and intends to pursue (just
with GPL, NR2003, GTR and LFS I can't see myself ever growing tired of
"driving"), the tools of the trade don't come cheap. E.g. I also like to
design, build and repair a variety of electronic circuits. To this end I own
an entry level rework station (soldering/desoldering) at a cool 1500 pounds,
a CAE (computer aided engineering) design suite (Proteus) at 175 pounds and
a digital storage oscilloscope worth 2200 pounds.

All of which pales in comparison to actually competing in any competitive
real life racing series, where you'd be lucky to spend less than 7500 pounds
a year and still be ahead of the also rans.

The problem with racing sims (and the hardware used to *play* them) has been
the fact they've been viewed as part of a toy/entertainment market, which
has led to a lowest bidder mentality and, consequently, dropping quality
accross the board. If any good is to come from the failure of the various
"true sims" to compete with yer Counter Strikes and Everquests it's through
its limited customers willing to pay a valid price for a valid product.

Jan.
=---

Old August 25th 05, 07:44 AM
FooAtari

> Serious money, for sure, but let me put that into perspective: having
> raced sims since 1994 I've already binned 250 Pounds worth of
> wheel/pedal combos (TM1+TM2+LWFF).
> The MOMO Force cost and additional 180 pounds to buy and, in total, I
> guess I must calculate well over a 1000 pounds in man-hours
> repairing/modding my wheels over the years just to keep them going
> and/or improving their feel.

I have had many wheels, but only one FFB wheel, the MS Sidewinder. It
may not be the best wheel in the market, but I found it to be pretty
sturdy and with a good feels and has last a good 4 or 5 years now.

> The problem with racing sims (and the hardware used to *play* them)
> has been the fact they've been viewed as part of a toy/entertainment
> market, which has led to a lowest bidder mentality and, consequently,
> dropping quality accross the board. If any good is to come from the
> failure of the various "true sims" to compete with yer Counter Strikes
> and Everquests it's through its limited customers willing to pay a
> valid price for a valid product.

Sim racing is a niche market. And will never compete with games like CS
and everquest. You have to invest alot of time just to get good at
racing sims, and really need a lot of real life car knowledge to get the
best of them. Most people are not willing to put that time in, CS is
realtivly easy to play, its just a mulit-player FPS.

If you can afford a quality product to go along with your hobby then go
ahead, but even for poeople that enjoy the hobby, the better end of a
grand is hard to justify for one product consisting of only a wheel and
pedals which you can pick fairly decent FFB wheels for £50. Then again
if I could afford to spend that much on a wheel my opinion might be
different :-)

Old August 25th 05, 03:08 PM
Larry

Um, Holy ****.