Patience is a virtue...so is stubbornness! A GT500 at last. (kinda long)

Old December 29th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John C.

Default Patience is a virtue...so is stubbornness! A GT500 at last. (kinda long)

Whew! As The Greatful Dead so eloquently stated...what a long strange trip it's
been.

My quest for one of these cars has finally come to a close. I began looking as
soon as the '07's started to hit the lots. I was certain the hoopla would die
down and the dealers would be selling at MSRP by the winter of '06. I could
_not_ have been more wrong. Hell, my local dealer is *still* sitting on his '07,
it's been there since before Thanksgiving, of 2006. (He's still looking for over
$15k in blue-sky, although I've been able to talk him down to $2k over)

I've given up analyzing the market dynamic that is keeping the mark-up so
ridiculously high. Production isn't low by any standards, with over 10,000 units
in 2007! I'm just chalking it up to an over-abundance of Automobile
Collectards® with more dollars than sense. <shrug>

Visiting friends in Maine over Christmas I happened across a blue hardtop (with
white stripes) and figured , what the hell, might as well take a look. The Blue
w/ white looked pretty good to me, even though I had my heart set on an all
Black car. Talked a bit, checked out the sticker, asked how much....

I wasn't really prepared for his response... He'd knock $500 off the sticker,
if I could take delivery before the end of the month. Yep, $500. _under_ the
MSRP. Damn, that was refreshing....I wrote the deposit check on the spot,
returned with the balance and a trailer the next day. Tucked it away in the
garage, next to the '03, last night. Wow, it all happened so fast I can scarcely
believe it. Got a couple options I could do without, but I am pretty impressed
with the HID lighting, head and shoulders above the headlights on the '03.

Of course the weather sucks right now, and I've only driven it about 80 feet,
but damn, I'm liking it a whole lot, silly stripes and all.

I can hardly wait 'till spring.... Screw that,... soon as the roads dry up!

One of my first trips will be to my local dealer, so he knows damn well I won't
be looking at his overpriced '07 anymore. Perhaps I'll buy some floor mats.

GO PATS!! and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
--
John C.
'03 Cobra Convt. (improved)

Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins....<shrug> 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Old December 29th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Dec 29, 10:33 am, "John C." > wrote:

Way to go, John! DEFINATELY, take the car to your local dealer and be
sure to tell him how much you paid!!

Oh, and let me add... YOU LUCKY *******!

Green with envy,

Patrick
'93 Cobra (235 HP or as much as yours puts out at idle)

Old December 29th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox-{SS}-[_2_]

wrote:
> On Dec 29, 10:33 am, "John C." > wrote:
>
> Way to go, John! DEFINATELY, take the car to your local dealer and be
> sure to tell him how much you paid!!
>
> Oh, and let me add... YOU LUCKY *******!
>
> Green with envy,

Bout six different shades. But I'll put some of those HID lights in
the 89 and it'll be JUST as good!

> Patrick
> '93 Cobra (235 HP or as much as yours puts out at idle)
>

>> Whew! As The Greatful Dead so eloquently stated...what a long strange trip it's
>> been.
>>
>> My quest for one of these cars has finally come to a close. I began looking as
>> soon as the '07's started to hit the lots. I was certain the hoopla would die
>> down and the dealers would be selling at MSRP by the winter of '06. I could
>> _not_ have been more wrong. Hell, my local dealer is *still* sitting on his '07,
>> it's been there since before Thanksgiving, of 2006. (He's still looking for over
>> $15k in blue-sky, although I've been able to talk him down to $2k over)
>>
>> I've given up analyzing the market dynamic that is keeping the mark-up so
>> ridiculously high. Production isn't low by any standards, with over 10,000 units
>> in 2007! I'm just chalking it up to an over-abundance of Automobile
>> Collectards® with more dollars than sense. <shrug>
>>
>> Visiting friends in Maine over Christmas I happened across a blue hardtop (with
>> white stripes) and figured , what the hell, might as well take a look. The Blue
>> w/ white looked pretty good to me, even though I had my heart set on an all
>> Black car. Talked a bit, checked out the sticker, asked how much....
>>
>> I wasn't really prepared for his response... He'd knock $500 off the sticker,
>> if I could take delivery before the end of the month. Yep, $500. _under_ the
>> MSRP. Damn, that was refreshing....I wrote the deposit check on the spot,
>> returned with the balance and a trailer the next day. Tucked it away in the
>> garage, next to the '03, last night. Wow, it all happened so fast I can scarcely
>> believe it. Got a couple options I could do without, but I am pretty impressed
>> with the HID lighting, head and shoulders above the headlights on the '03.
>>
>> Of course the weather sucks right now, and I've only driven it about 80 feet,
>> but damn, I'm liking it a whole lot, silly stripes and all.
>>
>> I can hardly wait 'till spring.... Screw that,... soon as the roads dry up!
>>
>> One of my first trips will be to my local dealer, so he knows damn well I won't
>> be looking at his overpriced '07 anymore. Perhaps I'll buy some floor mats.
>>
>> GO PATS!! and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
>> --
>> John C.
>> '03 Cobra Convt. (improved)
>> '08 Cobra HT (only 500 hp, but we can fix that)
>>
>> Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins....<shrug> 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

--
"I get the impression that Jamie is a papusa or two short of a
combination plate." - Kent Wills

"So you think AUK is some kind of really tight knit CABAL?
ROTFLMAO! Its a bunch of lazy ******* with too much time
on their hands and few friends.
WELCOME TO USENET.
Drive thru please..." - §ñühw¤£f
Old December 29th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

I'm glad you didn't get gouged on the car. Maybe Ford is starting to
feel some pressure from the new Challenger and upcoming Camaro. They
have needed some competition for the Mustang for quite a while. The
GT500 is a fantastic car but barely worth MSRP, IMO. Ford should be
pleased with themselves for raping as many buyers as they have over the
past couple of years.

Old December 30th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
columbotrek

Maybe just maybe, the dealers 15K over msrp was designed to keep it on
the lot as an attention grabber. No one wants it at +15K but hey, for
2K over invoice, I have this nice GT with your name on it.

Old December 30th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John C.

"Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
> I'm glad you didn't get gouged on the car. Maybe Ford is starting to
> feel some pressure from the new Challenger and upcoming Camaro. They
> have needed some competition for the Mustang for quite a while. The
> GT500 is a fantastic car but barely worth MSRP, IMO. Ford should be
> pleased with themselves for raping as many buyers as they have over the
> past couple of years.

Amen.

If I didn't find one at MSRP, I would not have bought one, period. I've got
nothing against a dealer making a decent profit on their cars, but the
gouging that has been occcuring is ridiculous.

There is more than enough built-in profit at MSRP! My car is outfitted with
the Nav system and Mach 1000, overpriced money-makers, IMO. (the HID
lighting is pricey too, but I actually consider that a worthy upgrade)

Oh well, I'll take the bad with the good. Now I'm looking ahead to the many
"improvements" that will need to made.
--
John C.
'03 Cobra Convt. (improved)

Old December 30th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John C.

On Dec 29, 10:33 am, "John C." > wrote:

Way to go, John! DEFINATELY, take the car to your local dealer and be
sure to tell him how much you paid!!

Oh, you can be sure the price just might slip out.
--
John C.
'03 Cobra Convt. (improved)

Old December 30th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John C.

"columbotrek" > wrote in message
> Maybe just maybe, the dealers 15K over msrp was designed to keep it on
> the lot as an attention grabber. No one wants it at +15K but hey, for
> 2K over invoice, I have this nice GT with your name on it.

Definitely possible.

With 4 failed auctions on Ebay, I'm convinced he really is a greedy SOB,
though.

When he fed me his "It's a rare color" line, my response was "In 20 years
it'll be a rare color, now it's just ugly". The look on his face,
...priceless.
--
John C.
'03 Cobra Convt. (improved)