winter driving

Old August 26th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Moore

Default winter driving

Hi, I plan on driving my miata in ohio winter this year. Any good advice
on all season winter tires?

thx

Old August 27th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dana Rohleder

You will be a lot happier in winter with snow tires than all-season tires.
I've had great luck with Nokian Hakkapellitta(sp?) snows on other vehicles.
--
Boreal
2001 LS 6 speed Silver/tan, Sport Suspension w/hard rear sway bar

Old August 27th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Brian Minto

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We get very little snow compared to
Ohio. We get an inch or two at a time and it comes and goes, leaving quite a
bit of ice. The residential streets here are not cleared at all, because the
snow often melts the next day. You get huge snow - heck, your snowstorms
make CNN. Buy snow tires. I use studded Hankook 404's on stock alloy wheels.
The traction is amazing, very similar to dry pavement, but a bit noisy due
to the studs. I suggest that you find whether your car has torsen
differential.

Old August 27th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Don Moore wrote:

> Hi, I plan on driving my miata in ohio winter this year. Any good
> advice
> on all season winter tires?
>
> thx

Forget all seasons and get yourself 4 good snow tires. I drove my
1990 year-round here in Eastern PA for 12 years with Blizzaks on all
four corners. Only ever got stuck once - and that was because I had
to come to a full stop on an unplowed alleyway.

And that reminds me, I need to get some snow tires and steel wheels
for the '04 now.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old August 27th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Streeter[_1_]

"Iva" > writes:

> Don Moore wrote:
>
> > Hi, I plan on driving my miata in ohio winter this year. Any good
> > advice
> > on all season winter tires?
> >
> > thx

> Forget all seasons and get yourself 4 good snow tires. I drove my
> 1990 year-round here in Eastern PA for 12 years with Blizzaks on all
> four corners. Only ever got stuck once - and that was because I had
> to come to a full stop on an unplowed alleyway.
>
> And that reminds me, I need to get some snow tires and steel wheels
> for the '04 now.
>
> Iva & Vixen
> 2004 Classic Red
> No more winkin' Miata

Completely agree. I drive my car all year in MA. Get some good snows
and you'll be ok.

Old August 27th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-08-27, pws > wrote:
> Iva wrote:
>
>> And that reminds me, I need to get some snow tires and steel wheels
>> for the '04 now.
>>
>> Iva & Vixen
>> 2004 Classic Red
>> No more winkin' Miata

> A free set of 14 inch steelies from a '99 model just went up on miata.net.
> They are in Georgia, but the ad says will ship at cost. Nice person,
> shipping wheels is a PITA.
>
> With the surge in shipping costs, however, it would probably be less
> expensive to buy a set for sale locally than to have 78 pounds of metal
> shipped to you.

tirerack.com usually has pretty good package deals on
snow-tires with steel wheels. They'll arrive mounted and
balanced and ready to wear.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I want to mail a
at bronzed artichoke to
Old August 27th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Moore

"Scott Streeter" > wrote in message
> "Iva" > writes:
>
> > Don Moore wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, I plan on driving my miata in ohio winter this year. Any good
> > > advice
> > > on all season winter tires?
> > >
> > > thx

> > Forget all seasons and get yourself 4 good snow tires. I drove my
> > 1990 year-round here in Eastern PA for 12 years with Blizzaks on all
> > four corners. Only ever got stuck once - and that was because I had
> > to come to a full stop on an unplowed alleyway.
> >
> > And that reminds me, I need to get some snow tires and steel wheels
> > for the '04 now.
> >
> > Iva & Vixen
> > 2004 Classic Red
> > No more winkin' Miata
> >

> Completely agree. I drive my car all year in MA. Get some good snows
> and you'll be ok.
>
> --

Thanks for all your advise guys. I think the dealer here in Cuyahoga Falls
recommended Blizzacs with steel wheels so maybe I'll go that route.

Old August 29th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

CAREFUL, I believe the 99's were the last (only) NB that you can run the
14's on. IIRC they went to a bigger brake set up in 00. I definitely could
be wrong but I know the 14" steelies barely clear my calipers.

Chris
99BBB

Old August 29th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> CAREFUL, I believe the 99's were the last (only) NB that you can run

the
> 14's on. IIRC they went to a bigger brake set up in 00. I definitely

could
> be wrong but I know the 14" steelies barely clear my calipers.

My '04 definitely has the bigger brakes so I know 14's are out. I'm
not sure if I can even put 15's on. Guess I'll have to look into that
further. Yeah, I know, check miata.net! <g>

Iva & Vixen
2040 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old August 29th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-08-29, Iva > wrote:
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>> CAREFUL, I believe the 99's were the last (only) NB that you
>> can run the 14's on. IIRC they went to a bigger brake set up
>> in 00. I definitely could be wrong but I know the 14" steelies
>> barely clear my calipers.

> My '04 definitely has the bigger brakes so I know 14's are
> out. I'm not sure if I can even put 15's on. Guess I'll have
> to look into that further. Yeah, I know, check miata.net! <g>

All the info I could find (as well as my own rough
measurements) indicated that the 14" steel wheels I had for my
96M wouldn't fit on my 03 Shinsen. My research indicated I
needed at least 15" wheels on the 03 and they seem to fit fine.

Which reminds me, it's probably time for new snow tires this
fall. I really liked my Nokian WR (especial dry road handling)
compared with previous sets of Blizzaks and Alpin Artic, but
perhaps Nokians competitors have caught up a bit in the past
couple years?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! WHOA!! Ken and Barbie
at are having TOO MUCH FUN!!

winter driving jerrylc VW water cooled 6 April 22nd 07 04:07 AM
Winter Driving Square Wheels Auto Photos 0 December 15th 06 09:21 PM
Winter Driving cody_e Driving 0 February 2nd 06 04:57 AM
Winter Driving [email protected] Driving 8 January 25th 06 01:49 AM
Winter driving tips Steve Driving 16 January 13th 05 07:45 PM