Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays???

Old December 23rd 05, 11:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

Default Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays???

Following up to mrtravel > :

>Tim C. wrote:
>
>> Following up to "Dave" > :
>>

>>>Even today many Christians are
>>>****ed that the birth of Christ is associated with a pagan holiday at all.

>> Which day would they suggest as an alternative?

>They could pick a day around the CORRECT time of the year

One which doesn't already have any non-christian events associated with it?
--
Tim C.
Old December 23rd 05, 01:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

Following up to Tim C.

>>> Which day would they suggest as an alternative?

>>They could pick a day around the CORRECT time of the year

>One which doesn't already have any non-christian events associated with it?

when is the correct date?
--
Mike Reid
"Christmas is the Disneyfication of Christianity" Don Cupitt (theologian)
Old December 23rd 05, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

>>But if you were a Christian who felt very strongly that the birth of
>>Christ
>>should be solemnly and religiously CELEBRATED, and should have it's own
>>legal holiday date specifically assigned for that celebration . . .

> ...like December 25th?
> --
> Tim C.

Only if you want to **** off a lot of Christians by associating the birth of
Christ with a pagan holiday. -Dave

Old December 23rd 05, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

>>> Which day would they suggest as an alternative?

>>They could pick a day around the CORRECT time of the year

> One which doesn't already have any non-christian events associated with
> it?

Uhhh . . . yeah. Like I wrote before, it would be more appropriate to
celebrate the birth of the Christ child on Easter. All evidence seems to
suggest that the actual birth may indeed have happened ON Easter. But
December 25th is definitely ouside the range of Mid-March to Early April.
WAY outside. -Dave

Old December 23rd 05, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

"The Reid" > wrote in message
> Following up to Tim C.

>>>They could pick a day around the CORRECT time of the year

>>One which doesn't already have any non-christian events associated with
>>it?

> when is the correct date?
> --

Nobody knows. Best educated guess by serious Bible scholars is March 21st,
4BC. The "4BC" part is fact. The actual day of that year is not set in
stone. But it was sometime between March 13th and April 3rd,
nclusive. -Dave

Old December 24th 05, 12:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

Dave wrote:
> Uhhh . . . yeah. Like I wrote before, it would be more appropriate to
> celebrate the birth of the Christ child on Easter. All evidence seems to
> suggest that the actual birth may indeed have happened ON Easter.

Really? Which date?
Is there some evidence indicating he was born on a Sunday?

Old December 24th 05, 05:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

"mrtravel" > wrote in message
news
> Dave wrote:
>> Uhhh . . . yeah. Like I wrote before, it would be more appropriate to
>> celebrate the birth of the Christ child on Easter. All evidence seems to
>> suggest that the actual birth may indeed have happened ON Easter.

> Really? Which date?
> Is there some evidence indicating he was born on a Sunday?

Best evidence seems to point to March 21st, 4BC. I don't know if that was a
Sunday or not, as I threw away my 4BC calendar a couple months ago.
-Dave

Old December 24th 05, 12:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

The Reid wrote:
> when is the correct date?

That Jesus of Nazareth was born? I have two, the commonly accepted of 25
December -4 and 15 September -7. I don't know the source of the second
date but I've been aware of it for a very long time.
Thank God I'm an Atheist.
< http://geocities.com/dancefest/ >-< http://geocities.com/iconoc/ >
ICQ: < http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 > ---> IClast at SFbay Net
Old December 26th 05, 12:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

Icono Clast wrote:

> The Reid wrote:
>
>> when is the correct date?

> That Jesus of Nazareth was born? I have two, the commonly accepted of 25
> December -4

I hope it is commonly accpeted that Jesus was born on Dec 25 when common
evidence points to a spring birth.
Old December 26th 05, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

In article >,
mrtravel > wrote:
>Icono Clast wrote:
>
>> The Reid wrote:
>>
>>> when is the correct date?

>> That Jesus of Nazareth was born? I have two, the commonly accepted of 25
>> December -4

>I hope it is commonly accpeted that Jesus was born on Dec 25 when common
>evidence points to a spring birth.

i.e. The shepherds with thier flocks would not have been out in winter,
but would be out in spring.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays??? Geoff Miller Driving 8 December 27th 05 04:29 PM
Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays??? Mark Anderson Driving 0 December 21st 05 08:39 PM
Happy Holidays to All... \Key Corvette 5 December 4th 05 08:58 PM
Merry Christmas and HEMI Holidays Cherokee-Ltd Jeep 3 November 21st 05 12:41 AM