GM engines

Old November 12th 05, 06:24 AM
Jason

Default GM engines

I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.
Does not realy matter it is a car or smal SUV. What matters is where
the engine was made.
I would like to avoid the one made overseas.
I was told that one of three : 3.1litre, 3.4litre, or 3.5litre is an
overseas product, but the person was not sure which one. Dealers I asked
about did not give me a stright answer.
Anybody here knows?

Also what is the deal about transmission without a dipstick.
I looked at Malibu and there is no dipstick to check automatic
transmission oil level.
On longer trips when refueling I always check tranny oil level. I would
hate to buy a new tranny or be stranded in middle of nowhere with melted
tranny because lack of lubrication.
My plan is to drive the car for possibly next 10 years. Can GM seals be
100% trusted for that long?
Thanks.

Old November 12th 05, 03:40 PM
Snow

> My plan is to drive the car for possibly next 10 years. Can GM seals be
> 100% trusted for that long?

Can anyone's be trusted to last that long????? besides the one s in my 10
year old JeeP

Snow...

Old November 12th 05, 05:37 PM
Dan J.S.

"Jason" > wrote in message
>I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.
> Does not realy matter it is a car or smal SUV. What matters is where
> the engine was made.
> I would like to avoid the one made overseas.
> I was told that one of three : 3.1litre, 3.4litre, or 3.5litre is an
> overseas product, but the person was not sure which one. Dealers I asked
> about did not give me a stright answer.
> Anybody here knows?
>
> Also what is the deal about transmission without a dipstick.
> I looked at Malibu and there is no dipstick to check automatic
> transmission oil level.
> On longer trips when refueling I always check tranny oil level. I would
> hate to buy a new tranny or be stranded in middle of nowhere with melted
> tranny because lack of lubrication.
> My plan is to drive the car for possibly next 10 years. Can GM seals be
> 100% trusted for that long?
> Thanks.

When I was looking at the Yukon, i noticed 50% of the parts were listed as
being made overseas. My Toyota Sienna (which I decided to buy) has 96% of
parts made in the US. Amazing! I guess you are better off buying a Toyota if
you care about supporting the U.S. workers.

Old November 13th 05, 01:17 AM
Pooh Bear

Jason wrote:

> I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.
> Does not realy matter it is a car or smal SUV. What matters is where
> the engine was made.
> I would like to avoid the one made overseas.

Why ?

> I was told that one of three : 3.1litre, 3.4litre, or 3.5litre is an
> overseas product, but the person was not sure which one. Dealers I asked
> about did not give me a stright answer.
> Anybody here knows?

I know a little.

It's unlikely you're talking about this one....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_54-Degree_V6_engine

Quite possibly the vehicle you're looking at ( you didn't say ) may have the
recent GM global V6 which is made in Canada and Australia.

" GM, the world’s largest automaker, introduced the global V-6 engine in
2004 model year vehicles. It builds the engine family at its St. Catharines,
Canada, and Holden Port Melbourne, Australia, engine plants. "

This may also be helpful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_engines

< snip >

> Can GM seals be
> 100% trusted for that long?

Can anything ? I've had 2 UK Vauxhalls that lived for plenty longer than 10
yrs and neither lost oil through a seal. The engines were made in the
Australian Holden plant I think though.

GM currently seems to be rationalising its entire engine range. Sadly that
also means the ultimate demise of the excellent Saab H series 4 cyl engine.

Graham

Old November 13th 05, 01:19 AM
Pooh Bear

Jason wrote:

> I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.
> Does not realy matter it is a car or smal SUV. What matters is where
> the engine was made.
> I would like to avoid the one made overseas.
> I was told that one of three : 3.1litre, 3.4litre, or 3.5litre is an
> overseas product, but the person was not sure which one. Dealers I asked
> about did not give me a stright answer.
> Anybody here knows?

Here's another link about the 'global v6' also called the HFV6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine

Graham

Old November 13th 05, 08:21 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Jason wrote:

> I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.

OK. rec.fetish.masochism might be a more appropriate group to post your
question in, but we can try to help you here.

> Does not realy matter it is a car or smal SUV. What matters is where
> the engine was made.

That is an interesting and strange way to pick a vehicle.

> I would like to avoid the one made overseas.

The Chevrolet Equinox is powered by a Chinese-built version of the 3.4.

The 3.1 and 3.4 have a long and sorry reputation as inferior, mediocre,
problem-prone designs.

> Also what is the deal about transmission without a dipstick. I looked at
> Malibu and there is no dipstick to check automatic transmission oil
> level.

Right, that's GM's recent transmission philosophy: The fluid is a lifetime
item. That is, when the transmission dies, the fluid's lifetime is
obviously over.

> My plan is to drive the car for possibly next 10 years. Can GM seals be
> 100% trusted for that long?

Oh, some of the seals might last that long. Go read the newspapers,
though: Can GM be trusted to last that long?

Old November 13th 05, 11:20 PM
N8N

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Jason wrote:
>
> > I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.

> OK. rec.fetish.masochism might be a more appropriate group to post your
> question in, but we can try to help you here.
>
> > Does not realy matter it is a car or smal SUV. What matters is where
> > the engine was made.

> That is an interesting and strange way to pick a vehicle.
>
> > I would like to avoid the one made overseas.

> The Chevrolet Equinox is powered by a Chinese-built version of the 3.4.
>
> The 3.1 and 3.4 have a long and sorry reputation as inferior, mediocre,
> problem-prone designs.

In GM's defense the 3.4 in my Impala is still working fine with nary a
hitch after 10K miles.

OTOH, my 18 year old Porsche 4-cylinder is smoother AND QUIETER. go
figure.

> > Also what is the deal about transmission without a dipstick. I looked at
> > Malibu and there is no dipstick to check automatic transmission oil
> > level.

> Right, that's GM's recent transmission philosophy: The fluid is a lifetime
> item. That is, when the transmission dies, the fluid's lifetime is
> obviously over.
>
> > My plan is to drive the car for possibly next 10 years. Can GM seals be
> > 100% trusted for that long?

> Oh, some of the seals might last that long. Go read the newspapers,
> though: Can GM be trusted to last that long?

I have my doubts about any modern transaxle lasting 10 years without
regular fluid changes and adjustments, no matter what the dealership
says.

nate

Old November 14th 05, 03:19 AM
Pooh Bear

N8N wrote:

> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Jason wrote:
> >
> > > I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.

> > OK. rec.fetish.masochism might be a more appropriate group to post your
> > question in, but we can try to help you here.
> >
> > > Does not realy matter it is a car or smal SUV. What matters is where
> > > the engine was made.

> > That is an interesting and strange way to pick a vehicle.
> >
> > > I would like to avoid the one made overseas.

> > The Chevrolet Equinox is powered by a Chinese-built version of the 3.4.
> >
> > The 3.1 and 3.4 have a long and sorry reputation as inferior, mediocre,
> > problem-prone designs.

> In GM's defense the 3.4 in my Impala is still working fine with nary a
> hitch after 10K miles.
>
> OTOH, my 18 year old Porsche 4-cylinder is smoother AND QUIETER. go
> figure.
>

> > > Also what is the deal about transmission without a dipstick. I looked at
> > > Malibu and there is no dipstick to check automatic transmission oil
> > > level.

> > Right, that's GM's recent transmission philosophy: The fluid is a lifetime
> > item. That is, when the transmission dies, the fluid's lifetime is
> > obviously over.
> >
> > > My plan is to drive the car for possibly next 10 years. Can GM seals be
> > > 100% trusted for that long?

> > Oh, some of the seals might last that long. Go read the newspapers,
> > though: Can GM be trusted to last that long?

> I have my doubts about any modern transaxle lasting 10 years without
> regular fluid changes and adjustments, no matter what the dealership
> says.

Oh - it'll probably *last*.

It may run better with extra maintence though.

Think especially about regular oil changes ( more then manufacturers recommended
interval ) or use synthetic oil.

Few things need *adjustments* now though. In fact it's often best to avoid
fiddling when things are working fine.

Graham

Old November 14th 05, 11:05 AM
Jason

> I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.
OK. rec.fetish.masochism might be a more appropriate group to post your
question in, but we can try to help you here.
Hmmm? My memory is short I guess :-). Thinking about my experience with
Chevette and later with Citation, I guess you might be right.

> Does not really matter it is a car or small SUV. What matters is where the

engine was made.
That is an interesting and strange way to pick a vehicle.
Not as long as deciding factor is combination of: rather boring not fancy
and/or head turning (thievs), take me from A to B driver, price, size, fuel
economy, reliability. Malibu, Maxx, or Equinox would fit "the bill".

> I would like to avoid the one made overseas.

The Chevrolet Equinox is powered by a Chinese-built version of the 3.4.

THANKS!
This is the one I want to avoid at any cost - a result of my experience with
stuff made there.

The 3.1 and 3.4 have a long and sorry reputation as inferior, mediocre,
problem-prone designs.
From power point of view, 180-200 hp is all (and more) I need . I was told
(by a dealer) that 3.1 piston slapping problem was solved a "while" ago.
All I know about 3.4 is very good mileage and at least a decent power.

> Also what is the deal about transmission without a dipstick. I looked at

Malibu and there is no dipstick to check automatic transmission oil level.

Right, that's GM's recent transmission philosophy: The fluid is a lifetime
item. That is, when the transmission dies, the fluid's lifetime is obviously
over.
Are you saying that "lifetime" according to GM might be a way shorter than
"lifetime" according to a car buyer like myself? Hmmm! What if you are right?
Trannies are pretty expensive.
If I remember right, an average life span of a car in N. A. is 12 years. I
think an average mileage is 18k km/11k miles per year.
Is there a lubricating fluid that will last that long? How about transmissions
that work hard (mountains, pulling trailer, extreme temps, etc.), or are
simply abused. How long will they last ?
I think I take a closer look at something elese. Dodge 300?

Your reply helped me a lot.
You kick started my thinking again.
Thanks.

Old November 14th 05, 01:49 PM
Pooh Bear

Jason wrote:

> > I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.

> OK. rec.fetish.masochism might be a more appropriate group to post your
> question in, but we can try to help you here.
> Hmmm? My memory is short I guess :-). Thinking about my experience with
> Chevette and later with Citation, I guess you might be right.
>
> > Does not really matter it is a car or small SUV. What matters is where the

> engine was made.
> That is an interesting and strange way to pick a vehicle.
> Not as long as deciding factor is combination of: rather boring not fancy
> and/or head turning (thievs), take me from A to B driver, price, size, fuel
> economy, reliability. Malibu, Maxx, or Equinox would fit "the bill".
>
> > I would like to avoid the one made overseas.

> The Chevrolet Equinox is powered by a Chinese-built version of the 3.4.
>
> THANKS!
> This is the one I want to avoid at any cost - a result of my experience with
> stuff made there.

This is a lie.

GM does not use any Chinese engines.

The previous poster was a troll.

Graham

Chrysler engines Technology 20 July 26th 05 01:07 AM
Ford's Mod Motors Are "Top-10 Engines"? [email protected] Ford Mustang 14 March 19th 05 05:53 PM
T1 fuel injected engines vs T1 carbureted engines Jens VW air cooled 6 March 3rd 05 03:22 AM
Stupid question (was Changing the oil filter only) Bill F Technology 20 January 18th 05 10:57 PM