Follow up, Replace drive shaft 97 accord.

Old November 1st 05, 09:41 PM
Frank Boettcher

Default Follow up, Replace drive shaft 97 accord.

Replaced the CV drive shaft (passenger side) on '97 accord yesterday.
First time I've done one and it was easier than I had anticipated.

Even though FAQ says removing damper fork not necessary I was nervous
about getting it out and went ahead and removed it. Only took a
couple of minutes to remove it and about five to put it back.

Lower knuckle joint to lower control arm another story. It lived up
to its reputation as described by TEGGER and others. I managed to get
it off with a standard puller but with great difficulty. The puller
is strong enough it is just getting something for the pawls to grip
and stay on.

With that out of the way, rest of the job easy. (after purchasing a
36MM socket, not something the average DIYer has in their tool box)
and borrowing a larger torque wrench (mine good to 100 ft.lbs. need
180 for the hub nut) wrapped it up fairly quickly. Don't know why I
waited so long to try this one.

Now, since these things in my experience generally fail when the boots
crack without alarm and water and grit go in, grease comes out, and by
the time you hear them it is too late, what is the best thing to clean
and dress the boots with to get a longer life.

Frank
Old November 2nd 05, 06:13 AM
SoCalMike

Frank Boettcher wrote:
> Replaced the CV drive shaft (passenger side) on '97 accord yesterday.
> First time I've done one and it was easier than I had anticipated.

was it clicking? how did the joints look? boots?
> Now, since these things in my experience generally fail when the boots
> crack without alarm and water and grit go in, grease comes out, and by
> the time you hear them it is too late, what is the best thing to clean
> and dress the boots with to get a longer life.

advise ranges from doing nothing to spraying em with silicone spray or
armor all at every oil change and tire rotation.

i do nothing. if theyre gonna crack, theyre gonna crack.
Old November 2nd 05, 10:10 PM
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:13:23 -0800, SoCalMike
> wrote:

>Frank Boettcher wrote:
>> Replaced the CV drive shaft (passenger side) on '97 accord yesterday.
>> First time I've done one and it was easier than I had anticipated.

>was it clicking? how did the joints look? boots?

Yes it was clicking and the boot was split open. I did not bother to
inspect the joint since it was clicking loudly. Just replaced the
whole drive shaft.

>> Now, since these things in my experience generally fail when the boots
>> crack without alarm and water and grit go in, grease comes out, and by
>> the time you hear them it is too late, what is the best thing to clean
>> and dress the boots with to get a longer life.

>advise ranges from doing nothing to spraying em with silicone spray or
>armor all at every oil change and tire rotation.

Thanks, I may try that.

Old November 2nd 05, 11:24 PM
'Curly Q. Links'

Frank Boettcher wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:13:23 -0800, SoCalMike
> > wrote:
>
> >Frank Boettcher wrote:
> >> Replaced the CV drive shaft (passenger side) on '97 accord yesterday.
> >> First time I've done one and it was easier than I had anticipated.

> >was it clicking? how did the joints look? boots?

> Yes it was clicking and the boot was split open. I did not bother to
> inspect the joint since it was clicking loudly. Just replaced the
> whole drive shaft.
>
> >> Now, since these things in my experience generally fail when the boots
> >> crack without alarm and water and grit go in, grease comes out, and by
> >> the time you hear them it is too late, what is the best thing to clean
> >> and dress the boots with to get a longer life.

> >advise ranges from doing nothing to spraying em with silicone spray or
> >armor all at every oil change and tire rotation.

DOT 5 brake fluid is pure silicone (I think) so it might be the perfect
treatment to keep the boots NEW. I've used photocopier fuser silicone
for years and it works great. Just slop it on with a paint brush.

'Curly'

Drive shaft questions HomeBrewer Jeep 1 December 30th 04 04:24 PM
A-4 drive shaft replacement Rob Alward Audi 3 November 15th 04 04:18 PM
92 Accord stalling at stop (in drive) after warm eric Honda 2 October 17th 04 11:17 PM
Drive shaft advice needed landvest Audi 1 October 4th 04 07:50 PM
Mobil Drive Clean Oil 5W-20 Accord 04 [email protected] Honda 2 September 24th 04 05:56 AM