bad turn signal

Old September 30th 05, 04:37 PM

Default bad turn signal

I have a 1991 Geo Prizm. When I hit my left turn signal, I hear a loud
screech that does not stop until I either turn the turn signal off or
hold it down hard. When all I hear is the screeching noise, neither
the front nor the rear turn signal lights blink at all. However, when
I hold the left turn signal down hard, the front and rear turn signal
lights work just fine. There is no problem at all with the right turn
signal. Any ideas? Thanks, Bill.

Old October 3rd 05, 03:54 PM
sdlomi2

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 1991 Geo Prizm. When I hit my left turn signal, I hear a loud
> screech that does not stop until I either turn the turn signal off or
> hold it down hard. When all I hear is the screeching noise, neither
> the front nor the rear turn signal lights blink at all. However, when
> I hold the left turn signal down hard, the front and rear turn signal
> lights work just fine. There is no problem at all with the right turn
> signal. Any ideas? Thanks, Bill.

Bad switch yielding partial contact. If you look closely--may involve
removing mast-jacket cover to see enough of the switch--you may see an
opening that binds slightly against the ts-stem as it moves toward the
left-position. This opening can often be filed bigger to give relief and
allow switch to go the extra distance required to engage the electrical
contacts more firmly. HTH & good luck, s