Car quiz for group question.

Old February 17th 07, 03:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
doby

Default Car quiz for group question.

Very good Verner but it is a bit backward.

Here is their history

The answer to the Car quiz re American Motors.

The American Motor Car Company of Indianapolis was the
maker of the 'underslung setup in 1907 placing the frame
rails UNDER the front and rear axles moving the engine
and transmission mass closer to the ground and thus lowering
the center of gravity. They then used massive wheels to
keep the necessary ground clearance. They had several models
but this one was called the "American Underslung".

In early 1911 they re-organized as the American Motors
company and dropped all modles except the underslungs
in 1913. New models were introduced for 1914 but the company
went into receivership in November 1913.

This is in no way connected to the American Motors most of
you were probably thinking about. Remember I said.
"This is tricky"

Notice the CAR in the orginal company name and missing in the
re-organization.

Doby

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:07:36 GMT, Verner Johnsen

Old February 17th 07, 04:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
MagisterMax

Hi Doby, According to one source Nash-Kelvinator Corporation bought the
Hudson Motor Car Company on January 14, 1954. Another says that the new
company emerged in May of 1954 as the American Motors Corporation. Between
1966 and 1968 the old Rambler name was dropped from various models to be
supplanted by the AMC name. Are you making a distinction between American
Motors Company and American Motors Corporation? If so, I don't know when
the word Company appeared in the name. I thought they were always the
American Motors Corporation.

Max

Old February 17th 07, 04:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
doby

Tch, Tch, Max, re; TRICKY search some more.

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 03:18:13 GMT, "MagisterMax"
> wrote:

>Hi Doby, According to one source Nash-Kelvinator Corporation bought the
>Hudson Motor Car Company on January 14, 1954. Another says that the new
>company emerged in May of 1954 as the American Motors Corporation. Between
>1966 and 1968 the old Rambler name was dropped from various models to be
>supplanted by the AMC name. Are you making a distinction between American
>Motors Company and American Motors Corporation? If so, I don't know when
>the word Company appeared in the name. I thought they were always the
>American Motors Corporation.
>
>Max

.. .

Old February 17th 07, 01:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

Today, Doby made these interesting comments ...

> Very good Verner but it is a bit backward.
>
> Here is their history
>
> The answer to the Car quiz re American Motors.
>
> The American Motor Car Company of Indianapolis was the
> maker of the 'underslung setup in 1907 placing the frame
> rails UNDER the front and rear axles moving the engine
> and transmission mass closer to the ground and thus lowering
> the center of gravity. They then used massive wheels to
> keep the necessary ground clearance. They had several models
> but this one was called the "American Underslung".

I've heard of the American Underslung but didn't know that the
name of the company was American Motors.

--
HP, aka Jerry
Old February 18th 07, 08:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
guest

"MagisterMax" >

> According to one source Nash-Kelvinator Corporation bought
> the Hudson Motor Car Company on January 14, 1954. Another says that
> the new company emerged in May of 1954 as the American Motors
> Corporation. Between 1966 and 1968 the old Rambler name was dropped
> from various models to be supplanted by the AMC name.

So effectively Nash, which produced smaller cars and must have had higher
volume, bought Hudson and kept the two brandnames for a couple of years
(which is why we saw a Hudson that looked like a Nash in 1955 and 1956)
before going with the Rambler brandname.

Ron