Civic Oil pressure light question

Old September 24th 04, 02:48 PM
Juan

Default Civic Oil pressure light question

Hello,
I have 94 honda civic. The Oil pressure indicator light would
sporadically blink at times. I changed the oil to the recommended
weight 5w-30.
The light didn't show for a day or so and then it was blinking on and
off again.
I checked the level and it was normal. I drained a bit and added
"restore Engine Restorer & Lubricant".
Now the Oil pressure light is always on. Did I make a mistake in
adding that? When the car is idling it sounds fine . A bit more RPM
and there is a slight rattle. Is that bad bearing(s). I am afraid to
drive it now. Any thoughts as to what the problem is?
Thank you. John
Old September 24th 04, 05:46 PM
Chris

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:48:01 -0600, Juan > wrote:

>Hello,
>I have 94 honda civic. The Oil pressure indicator light would
>sporadically blink at times. I changed the oil to the recommended
>weight 5w-30.
>The light didn't show for a day or so and then it was blinking on and
>off again.
>I checked the level and it was normal. I drained a bit and added
>"restore Engine Restorer & Lubricant".
>Now the Oil pressure light is always on. Did I make a mistake in
>adding that? When the car is idling it sounds fine . A bit more RPM
>and there is a slight rattle. Is that bad bearing(s). I am afraid to
>drive it now. Any thoughts as to what the problem is?
>Thank you. John

>When the car is idling it sounds fine

Is is an electrical bad contact.
Chris
Old September 27th 04, 06:26 AM
Juan

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:46:58 -0400, Chris > wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:48:01 -0600, Juan > wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>I have 94 honda civic. The Oil pressure indicator light would
>>sporadically blink at times. I changed the oil to the recommended
>>weight 5w-30.
>>The light didn't show for a day or so and then it was blinking on and
>>off again.
>>I checked the level and it was normal. I drained a bit and added
>>"restore Engine Restorer & Lubricant".
>>Now the Oil pressure light is always on. Did I make a mistake in
>>adding that? When the car is idling it sounds fine . A bit more RPM
>>and there is a slight rattle. Is that bad bearing(s). I am afraid to
>>drive it now. Any thoughts as to what the problem is?
>>Thank you. John

>>When the car is idling it sounds fine

>Is is an electrical bad contact.
>Chris

Thanks for the support!
I took the oil pan off(hard to do , had to remove the stupid exhaust)
and removed the Oil Pump screen. I soaked the screen in gasoline and
got a small tooth brush inside to get the oil residue and other gunk
off the screen.
Put it all back together, put a thicker oil in and after 6.5 Lonnnngg
hours, IT WORKED! The light went out and all is back to normal.

Old September 28th 04, 01:28 PM
Ricky Spartacus

>Juan > wrote in message
> Chris > wrote:
> >Juan > wrote:

> >>I have 94 honda civic. The Oil pressure indicator light would
> >>sporadically blink at times. I changed the oil to the recommended
> >>weight 5w-30.The light didn't show for a day or so and then it was

>> blinking on and off again.I checked the level and it was normal. I
>> drained a bit and added "restore Engine Restorer & Lubricant".
> >>Now the Oil pressure light is always on. Did I make a mistake in
> >>adding that? When the car is idling it sounds fine . A bit more RPM
> >>and there is a slight rattle. Is that bad bearing(s). I am afraid to
> >>drive it now. Any thoughts as to what the problem is?
> >>Thank you. John
> >>When the car is idling it sounds fine

> >Is it an electrical bad contact.

> Thanks for the support!
> I took the oil pan off(hard to do , had to remove the stupid exhaust)
> and removed the Oil Pump screen. I soaked the screen in gasoline and
> got a small tooth brush inside to get the oil residue and other gunk
> off the screen.
> Put it all back together, put a thicker oil in and after 6.5 Lonnnngg
> hours, IT WORKED! The light went out and all is back to normal.

Congratulations, but don't celebrate just yet. When the bearings fail, a
knocking noise can be heard depending on the rpm, load, gear
selection, etc. Cleaning the screen only solves an immediate problem.
But what lurks ahead may be an expensive new motor and a probability
of being stranded. Hondas are sensitive with a lack of oil. Adding
Engine Restorer & Lubricant to the unburned hydrocarbons, water,
sludge, gummy and acidic that have made its way into the oil pan
obviously made it worse. The proper way to go is increase your oil
change intervals and increase your driving time. Avoid short trips or
low rpm driving, and check for a clogged PCV.

Remember:
Yellow = drive about 10-20 miles under 50mph.
Oil light flashing = drive to a stop then shut off motor.
Oil light stays on = SHUT OFF IMMEDIATELY.

Rick
Old September 29th 04, 02:03 AM
Juan

On 28 Sep 2004 05:28:57 -0700, (Ricky
Spartacus) wrote:

>>Juan > wrote in message
>> Chris > wrote:

>>> blinking on and off again.I checked the level and it was normal. I
>>> drained a bit and added "restore Engine Restorer & Lubricant".

>> >Is it an electrical bad contact.

>> Thanks for the support!
>> I took the oil pan off(hard to do , had to remove the stupid exhaust)
>> and removed the Oil Pump screen. I soaked the screen in gasoline and
>> got a small tooth brush inside to get the oil residue and other gunk
>> off the screen.
>> Put it all back together, put a thicker oil in and after 6.5 Lonnnngg
>> hours, IT WORKED! The light went out and all is back to normal.

>Congratulations, but don't celebrate just yet. When the bearings fail, a
>knocking noise can be heard depending on the rpm, load, gear
>selection, etc. Cleaning the screen only solves an immediate problem.
>But what lurks ahead may be an expensive new motor and a probability
>of being stranded. Hondas are sensitive with a lack of oil. Adding
>Engine Restorer & Lubricant to the unburned hydrocarbons, water,
>sludge, gummy and acidic that have made its way into the oil pan
>obviously made it worse. The proper way to go is increase your oil
>change intervals and increase your driving time. Avoid short trips or
>low rpm driving, and check for a clogged PCV.
>
>Remember:
>Yellow = drive about 10-20 miles under 50mph.
>Oil light flashing = drive to a stop then shut off motor.
>Oil light stays on = SHUT OFF IMMEDIATELY.
>
>Rick

Thanks. I'll do just that.

John