99 Honda Odyssey

Old September 27th 04, 03:47 PM
NET

Default 99 Honda Odyssey

For a few months now my Honda security system goes off unpredicatbly.
It doesn't matter if the van is in the garage or parked outside. I
was told that the van needs a new battery, I have never replaced it
since I purchase the vehicle 5 years ago. Could an old battery solve
the problem? I have schedule an appointment for next week with the
dealership, which I know will run me a good $100 (its all labor). I
can't go like this any longer. I am sure my neighbors hate me by now.
Any suggestion or troubleshooting ideas is greatly appreciated. PS
its always at night, never during the day. Thank you all for your
time and suggestions.
Old September 27th 04, 04:46 PM
motsco_ _

NET wrote:
> For a few months now my Honda security system goes off unpredicatbly.
> It doesn't matter if the van is in the garage or parked outside. I
> was told that the van needs a new battery, I have never replaced it
> since I purchase the vehicle 5 years ago. Could an old battery solve
> the problem? I have schedule an appointment for next week with the
> dealership, which I know will run me a good $100 (its all labor). I
> can't go like this any longer. I am sure my neighbors hate me by now.
> Any suggestion or troubleshooting ideas is greatly appreciated. PS
> its always at night, never during the day. Thank you all for your
> time and suggestions.

===================================

It's more likely a door contact setting it off, in particular, one of
the sliding doors. Check how 'tight' your contacts are by watching the
interior light and wiggling the doors. If loose, glue a penny or some
other kind of shim to tighten the gap.

Odyssey will NOT get stolen while inside your garage, probably. Don't
use the alarm inside.......

'Curly'

Old September 27th 04, 11:55 PM
NET

"motsco_ _" <"motsco_ > wrote in message >...
> NET wrote:
> > For a few months now my Honda security system goes off unpredicatbly.
> > It doesn't matter if the van is in the garage or parked outside. I
> > was told that the van needs a new battery, I have never replaced it
> > since I purchase the vehicle 5 years ago. Could an old battery solve
> > the problem? I have schedule an appointment for next week with the
> > dealership, which I know will run me a good $100 (its all labor). I
> > can't go like this any longer. I am sure my neighbors hate me by now.
> > Any suggestion or troubleshooting ideas is greatly appreciated. PS
> > its always at night, never during the day. Thank you all for your
> > time and suggestions.

> ===================================
>
> It's more likely a door contact setting it off, in particular, one of
> the sliding doors. Check how 'tight' your contacts are by watching the
> interior light and wiggling the doors. If loose, glue a penny or some
> other kind of shim to tighten the gap.
>
> Odyssey will NOT get stolen while inside your garage, probably. Don't
> use the alarm inside.......
>
> 'Curly'

Thanks for the hint I will be checking into this. Additionally I was
told you can't disarm the alarm only placed temporarily in the Valet
mode.
Old September 29th 04, 02:15 AM
jojomarkus

If it is the Honda factory alarm, it can be changed from the auto slarm
setting. There are three positions for the switch. It was supposed to be
set on manual at the factory. Anyway, you have to find the main alarm unit
under the dash, and set the arming mode switch to manual. This means the
alarm only arms when you lock the doors with the key fob. At least the
neighbors will appreciate it. You should have received a book on the
security system along with the owners manual if you bought it new.

hybrids: toyota vs. honda Magnulus Driving 38 January 18th 05 08:09 PM
2000 Honda Passport for Sale - $9,000 Jenny 4x4 0 January 4th 05 08:33 PM
1993 honda civic rockinrobin Honda 6 October 3rd 04 06:48 PM
FA: 1995 Honda Accord Coupe - Clean but needs some Paint - Until Sunday. Scott Peteres Honda 1 September 24th 04 06:55 PM