A purist's rant

Old September 11th 04, 10:34 PM
Shooting Shark

Default A purist's rant

On Hemmings' website today, I saw someone purporting to sell a
"completely restored" 1938 LaSalle. The site is he

http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fu...ail/id/2121606

First of all, it's silver, which I question was a factory color in
1938. Second, even the most casual observer will notice that the
wheels are contemporary as are the tires. But those aren't the most
egregious crimes: the poster goes on to point out with pride that this
vehicle is now equipped with (and I quote) "custom interior, audio,
a/c, power steering" and "all parts aluminum and polished".

What these bozos have done is nothing short of criminal. They have
taken a piece of automotive history--there are only about 880 LaSalles
of all ages and types in the world--and ruined it by making it a
modified vehicle. The money spent on making it a toy that would be
the delight of some NASCAR country slackjawed yahoo could have been
spent on restoring it properly to the way it was when it rolled off
the assembly line in 1938 (or late 1937)--and it would have been
eminently driveable, and a lot more appealing. If I had the money,
I'd buy it, restore it correctly, and make damn sure the previous
owners had their noses rubbed in every and any little thing they did
wrong as an example to others: don't screw with the true classics.

To all of you NHRA types out the go ahead and modify Fords all you
like; they're a dime a dozen, and nobody much cares about Fords
anyhow. You've seen one, and you've seen 'em all. But modifying a
higher-end vehicle, like a LaSalle or Packard, or a now-gone marque
(I've seen Hupmobiles and Cords modified) is criminal, and those that
commit such crimes commit the unforgiveable.
Old September 12th 04, 02:30 PM
Nate Nagel

Shooting Shark wrote:

> On Hemmings' website today, I saw someone purporting to sell a
> "completely restored" 1938 LaSalle. The site is he
>
> http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fu...ail/id/2121606
>
> First of all, it's silver, which I question was a factory color in
> 1938. Second, even the most casual observer will notice that the
> wheels are contemporary as are the tires. But those aren't the most
> egregious crimes: the poster goes on to point out with pride that this
> vehicle is now equipped with (and I quote) "custom interior, audio,
> a/c, power steering" and "all parts aluminum and polished".
>
> What these bozos have done is nothing short of criminal. They have
> taken a piece of automotive history--there are only about 880 LaSalles
> of all ages and types in the world--and ruined it by making it a
> modified vehicle. The money spent on making it a toy that would be
> the delight of some NASCAR country slackjawed yahoo could have been
> spent on restoring it properly to the way it was when it rolled off
> the assembly line in 1938 (or late 1937)--and it would have been
> eminently driveable, and a lot more appealing. If I had the money,
> I'd buy it, restore it correctly, and make damn sure the previous
> owners had their noses rubbed in every and any little thing they did
> wrong as an example to others: don't screw with the true classics.
>
> To all of you NHRA types out the go ahead and modify Fords all you
> like; they're a dime a dozen, and nobody much cares about Fords
> anyhow. You've seen one, and you've seen 'em all. But modifying a
> higher-end vehicle, like a LaSalle or Packard, or a now-gone marque
> (I've seen Hupmobiles and Cords modified) is criminal, and those that
> commit such crimes commit the unforgiveable.

I've modified my Studebaker, I guess I'm not on your Mr. Happy list
anymore (in my defense, all mods are bolt-on and reversible, at least so
far.)

I do hear you though, on eBay right now is a nice looking '37 Stude
business coupe - with no suspension or drivetrain of course. Can you
say "aborted street rod?" I've always wanted a biz coupe but I refuse
to buy one with the small six... and here shows up a '37 Dictator and
all the important stuff is GONE!

*sigh*

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Old September 12th 04, 02:54 PM
Grumpy au Contraire

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Shooting Shark wrote:
>
> > On Hemmings' website today, I saw someone purporting to sell a
> > "completely restored" 1938 LaSalle. The site is he
> >
> > http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fu...ail/id/2121606
> >
> > First of all, it's silver, which I question was a factory color in
> > 1938. Second, even the most casual observer will notice that the
> > wheels are contemporary as are the tires. But those aren't the most
> > egregious crimes: the poster goes on to point out with pride that this
> > vehicle is now equipped with (and I quote) "custom interior, audio,
> > a/c, power steering" and "all parts aluminum and polished".
> >
> > What these bozos have done is nothing short of criminal. They have
> > taken a piece of automotive history--there are only about 880 LaSalles
> > of all ages and types in the world--and ruined it by making it a
> > modified vehicle. The money spent on making it a toy that would be
> > the delight of some NASCAR country slackjawed yahoo could have been
> > spent on restoring it properly to the way it was when it rolled off
> > the assembly line in 1938 (or late 1937)--and it would have been
> > eminently driveable, and a lot more appealing. If I had the money,
> > I'd buy it, restore it correctly, and make damn sure the previous
> > owners had their noses rubbed in every and any little thing they did
> > wrong as an example to others: don't screw with the true classics.
> >
> > To all of you NHRA types out the go ahead and modify Fords all you
> > like; they're a dime a dozen, and nobody much cares about Fords
> > anyhow. You've seen one, and you've seen 'em all. But modifying a
> > higher-end vehicle, like a LaSalle or Packard, or a now-gone marque
> > (I've seen Hupmobiles and Cords modified) is criminal, and those that
> > commit such crimes commit the unforgiveable.

> I've modified my Studebaker, I guess I'm not on your Mr. Happy list
> anymore (in my defense, all mods are bolt-on and reversible, at least so
> far.)
>
> I do hear you though, on eBay right now is a nice looking '37 Stude
> business coupe - with no suspension or drivetrain of course. Can you
> say "aborted street rod?" I've always wanted a biz coupe but I refuse
> to buy one with the small six... and here shows up a '37 Dictator and
> all the important stuff is GONE!
>
> *sigh*
>
> nate

Well, I know of a Coupe Express engine block that's available...

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
Old September 12th 04, 09:38 PM
Rabbit

> > What these bozos have done is nothing short of criminal. They have
> > taken a piece of automotive history--there are only about 880 LaSalles
> > of all ages and types in the world--and ruined it by making it a
> > modified vehicle. The money spent on making it a toy that would be
> > the delight of some NASCAR country slackjawed yahoo could have been
> > spent on restoring it properly to the way it was when it rolled off
> > the assembly line in 1938 (or late 1937)--and it would have been
> > eminently driveable, and a lot more appealing.

Well, here's something to consider. You don't know the shape the vehicle was
in before it was hot-rodded. While there are people who cut up decent
vehicles (and who am I to tell them what to do with their property?), a huge
number of rods started out as rusty shells that no restorer would touch. For
many of them, an accurate restoration would cost more than the finished
product would be worth.

My 1949 Studebaker is chopped, carries a 350, and has numerous body
modifications. It sat in a farmer's field for some 30 years. When the fellow
who built my truck dragged it out, he offered it for sale to a couple of
restorers who said they didn't want to start with such a tough project. So
my truck faced one of two scenarios: modification into a vehicle that sees
the road regularly, or left in a field to rot even more.

Rabbit

Old September 12th 04, 10:57 PM
v8z

A extremely valid point - I have a buddy who has an aluminum bodied Bentley
2-door coupe( one of less than 50 built), fifties vintage, that has the
exact same story - not a single restorer would touch it....coachwork was all
rotted, aluminum body mangled in places, floors shot, etc., etc. Restoration
would have cost multiples of what it would be worth restored.

Now, thanks to some "sacrilegious" hot rodders, its on the road with a
Viper motor, corvette clips front and rear, and some truly unique custom
aluminum body mods that were done to repair areas of the original that were
shot. Very COOL and distinctive ride!!!

I've even been given grief by some purists about "bastar*izing" my Datsun
Roadster - about 45,000 built - but I saved it from the crusher, and the
somewhat rare stock parts I'm NOT using are finding their way to those who
ARE restoring low-windshield Roadsters.

--
V8Z
Chevy V6 powered '66 Datsun Roadster

Old September 13th 04, 12:49 PM
Rabbit

> Now if we're talking about these kids that are trying to live "2 Fast 2
> Furious", I always laugh at them. To me, there's nothing sillier than a
> subcompact with a coffee can muffler trying to be "bad-assed".

It may be silly, but at least they're playing with cars, and doing exactly
what the "real" hot rodders were doing back in the 1940s -- modifying the
cars they knew into something that interested them.

Don't underestimate these younger modifiers. Sure, there are some pretty bad
tuner cars out there (just like there are some pretty shaky hot rods), but
there are some with incredible work and detail into them.

As long as they're wrenching on cars, it's a good thing.

Rabbit

Old September 13th 04, 03:30 PM
Michael Defi

I'm sorry to be an outsider budding-in.?
Perhaps you'll forgive if you understand i'm getting up
into my middle aged years - and now tend a proclivity
to try to spear the rare and historically naked thought/fact/point etc.

I remember well growing up in the "50's and "60's how
the teens were experimenting with "artistic self expression"
knocking off the hood ornaments..removing grille teeth.,etc.
High rake jobs in the rear - and once in awhile raked all round.
Many variations pipes..ie., cherry bombs,,glass-packs,,cut-outs
and step-side "Laker style" exhausts. Everyone sporting WhiteWalls*.
AND THEN.!!!
It was as though God's ".. Custom Car Angel.."
had been sent down straight from heaven to Us with the two greatest
gifts ever bestove to meer mortal (and penniless ;*) "..Teen Angels* .."
which INSTANTLY became the R A G E !! ! ! --everyone scrambling to get!!
~~~ BABY MOON HUBCAPS.. CHROME REVERSE ..&.. MAG' WHEELS ~~~
.. . .` ' !?.!´. ·°·’’?·´`,'. .. ! ! ! *.?. . ;*)

Cars would never be STOCK .. again*

Cheers
Deefii

Old September 13th 04, 04:11 PM
Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein

On 11 Sep 2004 14:34:05 -0700, (Shooting
Shark) wrote:

>On Hemmings' website today, I saw someone purporting to sell a
>"completely restored" 1938 LaSalle. The site is he

http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fu...ail/id/2121606

>First of all, it's silver, which I question was a factory color in
>1938. Second, even the most casual observer will notice that the
>wheels are contemporary as are the tires. But those aren't the most
>egregious crimes: the poster goes on to point out with pride that this
>vehicle is now equipped with (and I quote) "custom interior, audio,
>a/c, power steering" and "all parts aluminum and polished".
>
>What these bozos have done is nothing short of criminal. They have
>taken a piece of automotive history--there are only about 880 LaSalles
>of all ages and types in the world--and ruined it by making it a
>modified vehicle. The money spent on making it a toy that would be
>the delight of some NASCAR country slackjawed yahoo could have been
>spent on restoring it properly to the way it was when it rolled off
>the assembly line in 1938 (or late 1937)--and it would have been
>eminently driveable, and a lot more appealing. If I had the money,
>I'd buy it, restore it correctly, and make damn sure the previous
>owners had their noses rubbed in every and any little thing they did
>wrong as an example to others: don't screw with the true classics.
>
>To all of you NHRA types out the go ahead and modify Fords all you
>like; they're a dime a dozen, and nobody much cares about Fords
>anyhow. You've seen one, and you've seen 'em all. But modifying a
>higher-end vehicle, like a LaSalle or Packard, or a now-gone marque
>(I've seen Hupmobiles and Cords modified) is criminal, and those that
>commit such crimes commit the unforgiveable.

As the owner of a mildly modified Hupmobile I take exception to the
term "crime". My car was nearly complete when I found it but it was
missing some key components like the starter and distributor. I could
have had new ones machined but the cost outweighed the benefits. Had I
gone the restoration route I would have had an 80 HP car with cable
actuated brakes. The car might have been fine for use in parades and
car shows but would not have been reliable or safe for every day
driving. I removed the 900 lb cast iron straight 6 engine and replaced
it with a 160 hp, 300lb Chevy 250. Power disk brakes have been
installed for improved stopping. When the vehicle ahead stops I can
stop too unlike a stock Hup. I've taken care to retain the original
looks of the car both inside and out. The automatic transmission uses
the original shift handle. The parking brake is original. The
upholstery is mohair duplicating the original patterns. The power
windows are operated by the original window cranks. The Chevy engine
is very close in appearance and size to the Hupp. I can buy and
running gear parts at any parts store in the US. I can buy Hupp parts
nowhere. I now drive my car every day. How many purists can say the
same?
Old September 13th 04, 08:35 PM
Charlie Self

Robin Banks responds:

>I really hate to see a classic... I dunno how to describe it better than
>"urbanized"... goofy neon, thunderous stereo, spinner wheels... that almost
>always makes me ill.

What they do is up to them, but those thundering stereo sets should be, and
will be, illegal in most areas shortly. Now, if we can just get the cops to do
something about enforcing the law once it's made...

>Now if we're talking about these kids that are trying to live "2 Fast 2
>Furious", I always laugh at them. To me, there's nothing sillier than a
>subcompact with a coffee can muffler trying to be "bad-assed".

Do they feel like the vehicle sounds? I've seen/heard several lately that sound
like flatulent gerbils.

> It also seems
>they forget that it was a movie, and driving like in the movie is a recipe
>for
>death and destruction. (Same way they drive on the cafe racer bikes here in
>Detroit... they'll be a pavement stain someday... shame.)
>
>Again though, it's all up to them. <shrug>

But, oh, do their survivors whine about what a shame it was that little
Spit4CurlZSwingz3WayZ or whomever didn't get to live out his life.

Charlie Self
"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and
hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill
Old September 14th 04, 08:49 AM
Charlie Self

Robin Banks responds:

>> What they do is up to them, but those thundering stereo sets should be, and
>> will be, illegal in most areas shortly. Now, if we can just get the cops to

>do
>> something about enforcing the law once it's made...

>They really bug me in about two areas...
>
>When I'm at a cruise, and I'm stuck next to/near a guy that thinks everyone
>within a 1/2 mile wants to hear the junk he's listening to. Many times I
>have
>my wife and daughter in the car, and I really don't want to hear, especially
>at a deafening level, music where "f**k" and whatnot is said in every lyric.
>That's not being a "fogey", that's just common courtesy man.

Lacking these days. A week or so ago, I was driving into Roanoke, and pulled up
next to a yuppie type female in a Suburban...what are those things, $40K? She
had the speakers blaring some scumbait screaming about 'hos' and 'f**k' this
and that. It's surprising who listens to that garbage, and how, these days.
I've lost a lot of my hearing from gunfire, loud tools and motorcycles, but the
next generation coming up is going deaf listening to someone shriek 'f**k.'

>The other place it bugs me is when they come down my street at 2am, 4am, etc,
>with it blaring away, waking people up. Again, it comes down to common
>courtesy. (I always turn down my radio when I enter a residential area at
>night... maybe that's stupid, but I try to be respectful of others.)

I live 10 miles from the nearest town and hardly a night goes by that some
bat-brained twit doesn't do the same. It's not just residential areas: this is
rural and most of these morons can be heard coming for about a half mile.