This DeLorean: Is this deal worth it?

Old May 7th 04, 05:53 PM
John

"Don Bruder" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 07 May 2004 10:16:13 -0400, Alex Rodriguez >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >In article >,
> > says...

> > >According to him, you need a professional to do that otherwise you
> > >risk damaging the stainless steel. Completely clueless seller. I
> > >would stay away for that reason alone.
> > >--------------
> > >Alex

> > Strange, quick exposure to water damages stainless steel?
> >
> > I'm confused. :-P

> I think you're supposed to be
>
> --

Perhaps it's 'special' white dust.

J.

Old May 7th 04, 10:32 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Yippee > writes:

> Tony P. > realised it was
> Thu, 06 May 2004 20:34:33 GMT and decided it was time to write:

<snip>

> >Someone figured out how
> >to do this with a type of clear coat that tinted the bright silver to
> >the desired color. It looked very cool at the time.

> The bare, brushed stainless steel looked cool - that's why Delorean
> didn't paint it.

And it saved the cost and aggravation of building a paint shop and
getting good quality out of it. The stainless steel itself was a
response to the poor surface finish from the molding process used:
ERM, or Elastic Reservoir Molding, as I recall.

<snip>

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old May 8th 04, 12:05 AM
Geoff Miller

Yippee > writes:

[ DeLorean "snortscar" ]

> I just can't see paying anything for it.

Oh, I dunno. I wouldn't mind having one to go with
my Bricklin...

Geoff

--
"A squealing tire is a happy tire." -- Bruce MacInnes,
Skip Barber Driving School instructor

Old May 8th 04, 03:51 PM
Howard Rose

On Fri, 07 May 2004 22:35:42 +0200, Yippee
> wrote:

>I just can't see paying anything for it.

Well, if you've got you don't want.. .I'll gladly take one off your
hands :-)

Deloreans are one of the coolest cars ever made. I love 'em.

Old May 8th 04, 05:14 PM
Geoff Mackenzie

"Yippee" > wrote in message
news:rotp9090j6o7a3oj73cf2t4psntm4tr4ie@newsfeed03 .glasvezel.net...
> Howard Rose > realised it was Sat, 08 May
> 2004 15:51:32 +0100 and decided it was time to write:
>
> >Deloreans are one of the coolest cars ever made.

> Cool in the way an Edsel or Excalibur may be cool to some people.
>
> >I love 'em.

> I loathe them. Bad idea - badly executed.
>
> --
> Y.

Agreed. Even Saint Chapman struggled to get it to handle. Give an
egomaniac drug dealer a few million pounds of taxpayers money to set up in
Ireland and that's what you get. If it wasn't for "Back to the Future" this
automotive abortion would have been consigned to the dustbin of history.

Geoff MacK

Old May 8th 04, 06:53 PM
Richard Kilpatrick

In article >, Stephen H.
Westin > wrote:

> And it saved the cost and aggravation of building a paint shop and
> getting good quality out of it. The stainless steel itself was a
> response to the poor surface finish from the molding process used:
> ERM, or Elastic Reservoir Molding, as I recall.

Delorean wanted a car that didn't rust. I wasn't aware of the stainless
being a response, rather, one of the few aspects of the car that wasn't
compromised on.

Richard

--
Supra.
New Beetle.
Old May 8th 04, 09:59 PM
Chris Morriss

In message >, Geoff Mackenzie
> writes
>
>"Yippee" > wrote in message
>news:rotp9090j6o7a3oj73cf2t4psntm4tr4ie@newsfeed0 3.glasvezel.net...
>> Howard Rose > realised it was Sat, 08 May
>> 2004 15:51:32 +0100 and decided it was time to write:
>>
>> >Deloreans are one of the coolest cars ever made.

>> Cool in the way an Edsel or Excalibur may be cool to some people.
>>
>> >I love 'em.

>> I loathe them. Bad idea - badly executed.
>>
>> --
>> Y.

>Agreed. Even Saint Chapman struggled to get it to handle. Give an
>egomaniac drug dealer a few million pounds of taxpayers money to set up in
>Ireland and that's what you get. If it wasn't for "Back to the Future" this
>automotive abortion would have been consigned to the dustbin of history.
>
>Geoff MacK

Why didn't it handle? I used to have an Alpine-Renault GTA with the V6
at the rear and it handled superbly, as did the later Alpine A610.
--
Chris Morriss
Old May 9th 04, 12:36 AM
The Blue Max

"Geoff Mackenzie" > wrote

> Agreed. Even Saint Chapman struggled to get it to handle. Give an
> egomaniac drug dealer a few million pounds of taxpayers money to set up in
> Ireland and that's what you get.

And get Arthur Andersen to audit the company too....come to think of it
maybe they designed the chassis...

Old May 9th 04, 03:55 AM
David Williams

"Chris Morriss" > wrote in message
> In message >, Geoff Mackenzie
> > writes
> >
> >"Yippee" > wrote in message
> >news:rotp9090j6o7a3oj73cf2t4psntm4tr4ie@newsfeed0 3.glasvezel.net...
> >> Howard Rose > realised it was Sat, 08

May
> >> 2004 15:51:32 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

> >> Cool in the way an Edsel or Excalibur may be cool to some people.

There's quite a difference between a mediocre car with
some unusual features (DMC12) and a hideous car with
nothing of interest (Edsel).

> >> I loathe them. Bad idea - badly executed.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Y.

> >Agreed. Even Saint Chapman struggled to get it to handle. Give an
> >egomaniac drug dealer a few million pounds of taxpayers money to set up

in
> >Ireland and that's what you get. If it wasn't for "Back to the Future"

this
> >automotive abortion would have been consigned to the dustbin of history.
> >
> >Geoff MacK
> >

> Why didn't it handle? I used to have an Alpine-Renault GTA with the V6
> at the rear and it handled superbly, as did the later Alpine A610.
> --
> Chris Morriss

Behind the rear axle is no place for an engine, period. I know
the people who don't know Boxsters are better than 911s are
going to flame me now...

Biggest problem with the Delorean was its anemic engine. But
if it hadn't been so underpowered, it would've been dangerous.
Whatever John Z. was, he was NOT a drug dealer until, while
about to lose his biggest dream, the feds tempted him with
$100 million. Entrapment, plain and simple.

I'm not a JZD fan, but he generally fought the evil forces at
GM (and lost). I know what the Brits had in mind, but loaning
him that much money wasn't a very smart move.

David

Am I gettin a decent deal? [email protected] BMW 2 December 1st 04 07:58 PM
Whats it worth? Adrian Plant Alfa Romeo 3 July 28th 04 08:44 AM
Looking to buy a 2001 S4 - Is this a good deal? GMan Audi 2 June 27th 04 09:02 PM
Is this a deal? 2001 S4 GMan Audi 0 June 27th 04 05:09 AM
91 Dodge Stealth good deal? Richard Cesar Dodge 2 June 8th 04 05:24 AM