classic cars for weddings??

Old October 20th 03, 01:53 PM
jessica

Default classic cars for weddings??

Hi - hope you don't mind me posting to more than one newsgroup.

I'm looking to hire a late 50's early 60's jag , daimler or bently or
similar for my wedidng in The Cotswolds (UK) in december. All i seem
to find is old style 20's and 30's cars or modern day. can anyone
recommend a suitable contact for me?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
:-)
Old October 20th 03, 06:56 PM
Grumpy au Contraire

jessica wrote:

> Hi - hope you don't mind me posting to more than one newsgroup.
>
> I'm looking to hire a late 50's early 60's jag , daimler or bently or
> similar for my wedidng in The Cotswolds (UK) in december. All i seem
> to find is old style 20's and 30's cars or modern day. can anyone
> recommend a suitable contact for me?
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
> :-)

Maybe becuase the "classic" car period covered from about 1925 to
1947... but mostly pre-war...

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
Old October 20th 03, 07:16 PM
Big Mc

"Grumpy au Contraire" > wrote in message

> jessica wrote:
> >
> > Hi - hope you don't mind me posting to more than one newsgroup.
> >
> > I'm looking to hire a late 50's early 60's jag , daimler or bently or
> > similar for my wedidng in The Cotswolds (UK) in december. All i seem
> > to find is old style 20's and 30's cars or modern day. can anyone
> > recommend a suitable contact for me?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
> > :-)

> Maybe becuase the "classic" car period covered from about 1925 to
> 1947... but mostly pre-war...

Since when was that written in tablets of stone.

I own a 1963 Daimler Majestic Major Limousine it is insured strangely as a
classic car, I sense a certain amount of snobbery in your statement.

Sorry I can't help out with the Wedding though Peterborough is a bit far
from the Cotswolds.

Old October 20th 03, 07:46 PM
SteveH

Grumpy au Contraire > wrote:

> jessica wrote:
> >
> > Hi - hope you don't mind me posting to more than one newsgroup.
> >
> > I'm looking to hire a late 50's early 60's jag , daimler or bently or
> > similar for my wedidng in The Cotswolds (UK) in december. All i seem
> > to find is old style 20's and 30's cars or modern day. can anyone
> > recommend a suitable contact for me?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
> > :-)

> Maybe becuase the "classic" car period covered from about 1925 to
> 1947... but mostly pre-war...

What absolute trash. I thought anything pre-war was considered
'vintage', anything post-war is 'classic'.

And there's no upper limit to qualify a classic. Some cars achieve
classic status the minute they roll off the production line - eg. Lancia
Delta HF4wd / Integrale, BMW E30 M3, etc.

My Golf is insured on a classic policy..... that's a 1981 model.

http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800
VW Golf GL Cabrio (carb broken) - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 33 1.7ie
Old October 20th 03, 07:54 PM
Dave Plowman

In article >,
Grumpy au Contraire > wrote:
> Maybe becuase the "classic" car period covered from about 1925 to
> 1947... but mostly pre-war...

Think this is correctly called 'post vintage thoroughbred' - but I'm not
sure of the exact dates.

'Classic' is a variable feast.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Old October 20th 03, 08:04 PM
Grumpy au Contraire

SteveH wrote:

> Grumpy au Contraire > wrote:
>
> > jessica wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi - hope you don't mind me posting to more than one newsgroup.
> > >
> > > I'm looking to hire a late 50's early 60's jag , daimler or bently or
> > > similar for my wedidng in The Cotswolds (UK) in december. All i seem
> > > to find is old style 20's and 30's cars or modern day. can anyone
> > > recommend a suitable contact for me?
> > >
> > > Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
> > > :-)

> > Maybe becuase the "classic" car period covered from about 1925 to
> > 1947... but mostly pre-war...

> What absolute trash. I thought anything pre-war was considered
> 'vintage', anything post-war is 'classic'.
>
> And there's no upper limit to qualify a classic. Some cars achieve
> classic status the minute they roll off the production line - eg. Lancia
> Delta HF4wd / Integrale, BMW E30 M3, etc.
>
> My Golf is insured on a classic policy..... that's a 1981 model.

Oh??? I suppose that you are still living in the Jurassic period too, eh?

Old October 21st 03, 04:29 PM
R. N. Robinson

"Dave Plowman" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Grumpy au Contraire > wrote:
> > Maybe becuase the "classic" car period covered from about 1925 to
> > 1947... but mostly pre-war...

> Think this is correctly called 'post vintage thoroughbred' - but I'm not
> sure of the exact dates.
>
> 'Classic' is a variable feast.

Post Vintage Thoroughbred as far as the Vintage Sports Car Club is concerned
refers to a list of approved models manufactured after Dec 31st 1930. This
list used to stop at 1939, but I don't know whether it has been extended.
Somebody has a club or part of one for Historic Racers which seem to be any
marque with a track competition history and covers some of the post-war
period.

Ron Robinson

Old October 21st 03, 10:42 PM
Dan Coogan

Grumpy au Contraire wrote:

> Oh??? I suppose that you are still living in the Jurassic period too, eh?
>
> --
> JT
>
> Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4

We finally got a fax machine a few years ago (1997) -- I remember telling
friends at the time "that we were moving boldly into the 1980's."

I also have an ancient G4 duel 450

best,
Dan

--
Dan Coogan
Coogan Photographic / Phoenix, AZ

Web:
http://www.CooganPhoto.com
Web: http://www.DanCoogan.com

Represented by Black Inc.
Web: http://www.blackinc.com

"Photography With A Vision"

Old October 22nd 03, 03:09 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Grumpy au Contraire wrote:

> Maybe becuase the "classic" car period covered from about 1925 to
> 1947... but mostly pre-war...

In the States, any car over 20 years old is a classic. Any car over 30 years
old is an antique.

George Patterson
To a pilot, altitude is like money - it is possible that having too much
could prove embarassing, but having too little is always fatal.
Old October 22nd 03, 11:59 PM
Grumpy au Contraire

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

> Grumpy au Contraire wrote:
> >
> > Maybe becuase the "classic" car period covered from about 1925 to
> > 1947... but mostly pre-war...

> In the States, any car over 20 years old is a classic. Any car over 30 years
> old is an antique.
>
> George Patterson

Really? By WHOSE definition??