Help identifying an antique car

Old February 22nd 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.cars.classic,alt.autos.antique

Default Help identifying an antique car

Hello,
As part of an art history research project I am trying to definitively
identify the make, model and year of a car that appeared in a 1952
collage by the artist Eduardo Paolozzi. The car, along with the
collage, is pictured he http://johnston.rs.googlepages.com/car

I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who can provide any
information at all regarding this.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ryan

Old February 22nd 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.cars.classic,alt.autos.antique
Heather & Joe Way

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:47:24 +0100, Yippee

wrote:

>>> I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who can provide any
>>> information at all regarding this.

>>That's a 1951 Kaiser.

>Yep, 1951 Kaiser Frazer Continental. Production figure was 8,888. Or
>thereabouts.

Ummm....been a long time since I owned a '51 Kaiser, and I didn't have
it long enough to become knowledgeable, but I'm pretty sure I
remember a couple of things about them.

The Frazer was the sister to the Kaiser, with different sheetmetal.
See http://forums.aaca.org/misc/443561-Frazer1951.JPG for a picture of
one.

So while there were several Kaiser model names, Frazer wasn't one of
them but rather a different car.

I don't think Continental was used as a Kaiser model name until
later...maybe '54 or '55. I could be wrong about that, though--as I
say, I wasn't an expert even when I had one. I do believe the
underpowered industrial 6-cylinder engine used in the Kaiser was a
Continental.

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way
Sierra Specialty Automotive
Old February 23rd 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.cars.classic,alt.autos.antique
the heekster

http://www.kfnut.com/1951models/page4.html
Old February 23rd 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.cars.classic,alt.autos.antique
duke39

Yup that certainly is a Kaiser, There was also a Frazer around that year
too but it looked much different.
oups.com...

Old February 23rd 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.cars.classic,alt.autos.antique

Thats great, thanks everyone for all of your help with this - its very
much appreciated.
Cheers,
Ryan

Old February 24th 07, 08:12 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.cars.classic,alt.autos.antique
Stude

On Feb 22, 8:54 pm, wrote:
> Thats great, thanks everyone for all of your help with this - its very
> much appreciated.
> Cheers,
> Ryan
>
> On Feb 23, 3:26 pm, "duke39" > wrote:
>

> > Yup that certainly is a Kaiser, There was also a Frazer around that year
> > too but it looked much > wrote in message

> roups.com...

> > > Hello,
> > > As part of an art history research project I am trying to definitively
> > > identify the make, model and year of a car that appeared in a 1952
> > > collage by the artist Eduardo Paolozzi. The car, along with the
> > > collage, is pictured hehttp://johnston.rs.googlepages.com/car

> > > I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who can provide any
> > > information at all regarding this.
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > > Regards,
> > > Ryan

The '51 Frazer was built on the 1950 K/F body, with attractive
update / modifuication,making it the best looking of all Frazers.
By 1951 Joe F and Hank K hated each other. Edgard K was running the
company as best as he could despite the bad feelings.
(POI The first Frazers that rolled off the KF assembly link bore the
plate, "A product of Graham- Paige," a company which JF still owned.
HK put a stop to that.
Afet 1955, Kaiser moved to Argentina, building the '55 models for a
while. Kaiser moved the Willys production to Brazil at about the same
time. The Willys Jeep line had stayed in the US, under different
owners.

Studebaker had the motto: "Give more than you promise.". I guess I did
that with this answer.

Old February 25th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.cars.classic,alt.autos.antique
Rabbit

"duke39" > wrote in message
. ..
> Yup that certainly is a Kaiser, There was also a Frazer around that year
> too but it looked much different.
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Hello,
>> As part of an art history research project I am trying to definitively
>> identify the make, model and year of a car that appeared in a 1952
>> collage by the artist Eduardo Paolozzi. The car, along with the
>> collage, is pictured he http://johnston.rs.googlepages.com/car

The giveaway is the windshield. You'll notice it dips down in the middle; it
was dubbed the "Sweetheart Dip". Kaiser had it, Frazer didn't.

Rabbit

Old February 25th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.cars.classic,alt.autos.antique
Dean Dark

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:35:58 -0500, "Rabbit"
> wrote:

>"duke39" > wrote in message
>> Yup that certainly is a Kaiser, There was also a Frazer around that year
>> too but it looked much different.
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> Hello,
>>> As part of an art history research project I am trying to definitively
>>> identify the make, model and year of a car that appeared in a 1952
>>> collage by the artist Eduardo Paolozzi. The car, along with the
>>> collage, is pictured he http://johnston.rs.googlepages.com/car
>>>

>The giveaway is the windshield. You'll notice it dips down in the middle; it
>was dubbed the "Sweetheart Dip". Kaiser had it, Frazer didn't.

Also, 1951 is a split windshield/screen. For 1952 and on Frazers, it
was one piece.
Old February 25th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.cars.classic,alt.autos.antique
Dean Dark

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:41:27 -0500, Dean Dark
> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:35:58 -0500, "Rabbit"
> wrote:
>

>>"duke39" > wrote in message
t...
>>> Yup that certainly is a Kaiser, There was also a Frazer around that year
>>> too but it looked much different.
>>> oups.com...
>>>>

>>The giveaway is the windshield. You'll notice it dips down in the middle; it
>>was dubbed the "Sweetheart Dip". Kaiser had it, Frazer didn't.

>Also, 1951 is a split windshield/screen. For 1952 and on Frazers, it
>was one piece.

Grrrr. I meant Kaiser, not Frazer.