spark plugs

Old October 31st 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
mabar

Default spark plugs

Ok, I'm confused. Today I ordered 6-Autolite double platinum spark plugs for
my '06 Rubicon. According to the auto parts store, and the Autolite website,
the '06 Rubi takes part #APP5224, and that is what I ordered. They are due
in tomorrow.

Upon searching the web tonight, I found that according to partsamerica.com
and autolite.com the '05 and earlier 6cyl - 4.0L Wranglers take part
#APP985.

#APP985 or # APP5224. Both are Autolite Double Platinum. What is the
difference?

My hood sticker says use NKG ZFR5N, and that is listed as the correct plug
for '06, '05, and earlier 6cyl - 4L Wranglers. Why would the Autolite Double
Platinum Plugs be different for the '06?

Tom

Old October 31st 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Outatime[_1_]

Could just be a catalog# change - carmakers do this all the time; it's
possible they're the same plug, just different numbers.

Why change the plugs on an '06 already? And why expensive double-plats?
I use the $0.69 cent Champion Coppers and they work great. I've also
used these on other cars with ground-to-anode firing designs and they
worked well there too.

I've got this buddy that buys $8.00 specialty plugs for his Honda, and
he swears it adds 20 hp. Balderdash!
Old October 31st 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

It is the sticker in the side window that add 5 hp each...

. ..

Old October 31st 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

I agree. The 4.0 likes nothing better than the Copper Champs or the NGK's.
Fancy plugs are a waste of money.

Carl

. ..

Old October 31st 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
hdd

Why bother? Still have the factory plugs in our '99 JGC......

Old October 31st 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

That is just plain silly... sparkplugs certainly last longer than they did
back-in-the-day but 7-8 years?

Old November 1st 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

http://www.billhughes.com/lubeSchedule.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old November 1st 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
mabar

I cancelled the order for the Autolite Double Platinum and went with the
OEM, NGK-ZFR5N plugs that the engine came with. Service manual calls for
changing the plugs at 30,000 miles. I have about 23000 miles on it now and I
know I am changing them early.

Tom

Old November 1st 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Outatime[_1_]

mabar wrote:

> I cancelled the order for the Autolite Double Platinum and went with the
> OEM, NGK-ZFR5N plugs that the engine came with. Service manual calls for
> changing the plugs at 30,000 miles. I have about 23000 miles on it now and I
> know I am changing them early.

On an '06? That's some serious miles. I've owned my TJ for 2 years and
only have 7,000 on it.

I change them out yearly, need-be or not. I'm pretty anal about
maintainance though. Coolant gets changed out bi-annually; oil and
filter every 60 days, air filter yearly, TB and ACT cleaning as well as
PCM error code checking/O2 sensor voltage variances and LT fuel trim
checked every oil change, and a complete engine cleaning/detailing every
month, that sort of thing. Spending more than a buck for a fancy spark
plug is just a waste of money to me.

Glad to hear that you didn't go all-out and blow a wad on double plats.
I think this is just creative marketing, nothing more. Spend the
bucks you saved taking your woman out to dinner or something nice like
that instead.
Old November 1st 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_1_]

HDD have you ever checked them ? My view is that if you have to pull the
plugs to see if they are ok, you might as well screw new ones back in.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ