Grand Cherokee Owners - Fight back!!

Old July 1st 04, 06:36 PM
Kuzie

I have had 4 Cherokees (85, 87, 88 & 91) and 1 Grand Cherokee (95) all well
over
100K miles and never had a diff bearing problem. The 91 Cherokee has 180K
miles
and still runs great. These all had Dana 30 &35 axles though. Have changed
the diff
gear lube every 30K miles too.
Greg

"Jerry McG" > wrote in message
> I hate to ask stupid questions, but what was that vehicle used for, any
> towing, heavy loads? Also, how often was the final drive oil checked and
> changed on that axle? At 90k miles it should have been changed at least
> three times.
>
> Unfortunately what I see with a trained eye is the result of oil
> contamination and breakdown.
> "Grumpy" > wrote in message
> gy.com...
> > Are you the owner of a Jeep Grand Cherokee that did not live up to
> > expectations?
> >

> > More directly, did your Jeep Grand Cherokee suffer a premature rear axle
> > bearing failure? Did you find your contacts with Chrysler Corporation

> be
> > unproductive in getting assistance to pay for the repair?
> >

> > I invite you to email your story, photos and receipts to
> >

> > http://grandcherokeedefects.blogspot.com
> >

> > All information will be turned over to a lawyer for possible class

action

Old July 2nd 04, 10:10 AM
Rob Munach

Jerry McG wrote:

> I hate to ask stupid questions, but what was that vehicle used for, any
> towing, heavy loads? Also, how often was the final drive oil checked and
> changed on that axle? At 90k miles it should have been changed at least
> three times.
>
> Unfortunately what I see with a trained eye is the result of oil
> contamination and breakdown.
> "Grumpy" > wrote in message
> gy.com...

My brother-in-laws's was never used for towing or has ever been
off-road. I doubt the oil was ever changed in the rear, but *most*
people never change the diff. oil and still don't experience rear end
bearing problems.
Old July 2nd 04, 08:36 PM
Kuzie

"Rob Munach" > wrote in message
> Jerry McG wrote:
>
> > I hate to ask stupid questions, but what was that vehicle used for, any
> > towing, heavy loads? Also, how often was the final drive oil checked and
> > changed on that axle? At 90k miles it should have been changed at least
> > three times.
> >
> > Unfortunately what I see with a trained eye is the result of oil
> > contamination and breakdown.
> > "Grumpy" > wrote in message
> > gy.com...
> >

> My brother-in-laws's was never used for towing or has ever been
> off-road. I doubt the oil was ever changed in the rear, but *most*
> people never change the diff. oil and still don't experience rear end
> bearing problems.

So if I never change my engine oil or xmsn fluid or coolant I should not
experience

engine or xmsn problems either. Most conscientious owners change the
lubricants

per the maintenance schedule or close to it. If you don't...don't blame the

manufacturer for poor quality. I have had 5 Jeeps all well over 100K
without

a single differential problem.

Old July 2nd 04, 09:39 PM
Jerry McG

"Kuzie" > wrote in message
> "Rob Munach" > wrote in message
> > Jerry McG wrote:
> >
> > > I hate to ask stupid questions, but what was that vehicle used for,

any
> > > towing, heavy loads? Also, how often was the final drive oil checked

and
> > > changed on that axle? At 90k miles it should have been changed at

least
> > > three times.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately what I see with a trained eye is the result of oil
> > > contamination and breakdown.
> > > "Grumpy" > wrote in message
> > > gy.com...
> > >

> > My brother-in-laws's was never used for towing or has ever been
> > off-road. I doubt the oil was ever changed in the rear, but *most*
> > people never change the diff. oil and still don't experience rear end
> > bearing problems.

> So if I never change my engine oil or xmsn fluid or coolant I should not
> experience
>
> engine or xmsn problems either. Most conscientious owners change the
> lubricants
>
> per the maintenance schedule or close to it. If you don't...don't blame

the

> manufacturer for poor quality. I have had 5 Jeeps all well over 100K
> without
>
> a single differential problem.

That was definitly caused by lubricant breakdown & reusltant metal
contamination. My hunch is it the vehicle was overloaded or got overstressed
towing something beyong its capacity. The giveaway is the scoring on the
outer axle bearings & the axle shafts.

FWIW, the Grand Cherokee factory maintenance schedule calls for 12k mile
differential fluid changes if it's used for towing & heavy loads (i.e.,
severe duty). It also calls for an 80w-140 lubricant in the rear axle in
those cases.

That thing had to be growlng like a pack of mad dogs for a long time, too.
Would have paid to look into it earlier.

Old July 3rd 04, 12:48 AM
mic canic

a whine noise in the rear axle does not MEAN a axle failure
wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whiner go home

Old July 3rd 04, 12:53 AM
mic canic

actually jeep made all the rear axle techs go to a special 2 day class for the
gear set up and anyone that has had it. does it no problem
end the flat rate pay system and everyone will have fixed cars first time

Old July 3rd 04, 04:12 AM
JP

I didn't notice a reference here to whining noises.

But if a whining noise from the rear axle should be ignored by the driver,
what kind of noise should he pay attention to ?

Old July 3rd 04, 05:42 AM
Dave

If you hear a whine noise from your rear axel you BETTER get it fixed. Or
you might just find yourself sitting along the road one day. Any noise from
the rear axel is a major problem. You MUST be another one of those dumb
trolls.

Old July 3rd 04, 07:41 AM
JohanB

mic canic wrote:

> end the flat rate pay system and everyone will have fixed cars first time

Do you like to xplain your logic ????

How about fix it right the first time or you will be doing it for free
the second time.....

Thats better then sit on your lazy ass, F*ck up again, and get your 8
hours anyway

Johan
Old July 3rd 04, 03:21 PM
Mike Romain

Spoken like a true dealer tech!

LOL!

Man you 'sure' make mechanics look bad and make the point of the
stereotype sleaze ball rip off dealer mechanic with about every post you
make.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

E30 whining noise (back end) Pedro BMW 3 November 20th 04 07:54 AM
Water in E39 back footwells Deep BMW 7 October 13th 04 11:35 PM
Problem: 146 Ti holds back..!? Stephan Alfa Romeo 3 July 22nd 04 08:38 PM