Please help w/ error codes 21 and 32

Old November 8th 04, 10:41 PM
Pepito

On 2004-11-08 17:11:30 -0500, (Mike R) said:

>>> Thanks a bunch BM that really helps, I will take a look today and let
>>> you know later on what happened.

>> --
>> 88' Mustang LX Convertible 2.3L
>>
>> I decided to buy both sensors but before replacing I ran the test again
>> after the computer codes were cleared, there was only one code showing,
>> code 32 so I decided to replace the EGR Valve Position Sensor (EVP) and
>> leave the ECT alone for now. Ran the car a few miles and got the codes
>> again, code 32 still there and the crappy idle too. I haven't noticed
>> any improvement at all.
>> Does this car has a Pressure Feedback EGR sensor? If so where is
>> located in the engine and who sells it? Error 32 also points to this
>> sensor and I haven't seen it for sell at the local autoparts for an
>> 88'...

> PFE is a different type of feedback used on EGR systems. Yours uses EVP
> feedback.
> Are you getting a solid check engine light or random illumination???
>
> --
> Mike
> 93 Cobra

No light at all, I found out because I ran the test, I think the check
engine light works because I can read the codes from there also.

Old November 9th 04, 01:00 AM
Mike R

In article <2004110817415216807%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindspring com>, Pepito
> wrote:

> On 2004-11-08 17:11:30 -0500, (Mike R) said:

> >> --
> >> 88' Mustang LX Convertible 2.3L
> >>
> >> I decided to buy both sensors but before replacing I ran the test again
> >> after the computer codes were cleared, there was only one code showing,
> >> code 32 so I decided to replace the EGR Valve Position Sensor (EVP) and
> >> leave the ECT alone for now. Ran the car a few miles and got the codes
> >> again, code 32 still there and the crappy idle too. I haven't noticed
> >> any improvement at all.
> >> Does this car has a Pressure Feedback EGR sensor? If so where is
> >> located in the engine and who sells it? Error 32 also points to this
> >> sensor and I haven't seen it for sell at the local autoparts for an
> >> 88'...

> > PFE is a different type of feedback used on EGR systems. Yours uses EVP
> > feedback.
> > Are you getting a solid check engine light or random illumination???
> >
> > --
> > Mike
> > 93 Cobra

> No light at all, I found out because I ran the test, I think the check
> engine light works because I can read the codes from there also.

You might want to check the 5 volt reference by removing the connector
from the EVP sensor and measuring between VREF (O/W wire) and RTN (BK/W
wire) using KOEO. Result should be close to 5 volts. Hopefully those color
codes are correct. I would also wiggle the harness and verify no
intermittent loss of VREF. If you don't have or know how to use a
voltmeter, then disregard....

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old November 9th 04, 01:01 AM
Mike R

In article <2004110816550216807%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindspring com>, Pepito
> wrote:

> >> Thanks a bunch BM that really helps, I will take a look today and let
> >> you know later on what happened.

> More updates, I ran the test this time "key on engine running" and it
> shows the same codes as before, 21 and 32. Does any one know the
> "surgery" steps to replace the ETC sensor? Looks kinda hard to get
> there.

Have you verified the correct thermostat temp rating and operation??? Is
the coolant system properly bled and topped off??? This is helpfull to
know before shotgunning an ECT sensor, especially if accessibility is
difficult....

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old November 9th 04, 01:39 AM
Pepito

(Mike R) said:

>>> In article <2004110816180250073%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindspring com>, Pepito

>>> PFE is a different type of feedback used on EGR systems. Yours uses EVP
>>> feedback. Are you getting a solid check engine light or random illumination???
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike
>>> 93 Cobra

>> No light at all, I found out because I ran the test, I think the check
>> engine light works because I can read the codes from there also.

> You might want to check the 5 volt reference by removing the connector
> from the EVP sensor and measuring between VREF (O/W wire) and RTN (BK/W
> wire) using KOEO. Result should be close to 5 volts. Hopefully those color
> codes are correct. I would also wiggle the harness and verify no
> intermittent loss of VREF. If you don't have or know how to use a
> voltmeter, then disregard....

I will check that way first before replacing the sensor, all wires look
healthy by a visual I got today but you never know. It would be nice if
I could read the codes in the check engine like I used to in my dodge
daytona, rather than having to connect the code reader every time.

Old November 13th 04, 11:32 PM
Pepito

On 2004-11-08 20:39:02 -0500, Pepito > said:

> I will check that way first before replacing the sensor, all wires look
> healthy by a visual I got today but you never know. It would be nice if
> I could read the codes in the check engine like I used to in my dodge
> daytona, rather than having to connect the code reader every time.

I replaced both sensors and so far the car has ran better than before
with no error codes, the only thing is that the idle gets rough from
time to time, it is not a 24/7 thing, does anybody have an idea what it
could be?

Thanks a bunch for your help!