Sticking/Dirty EGR Valve

Old October 24th 04, 02:15 AM
Paul Dougherty

Default Sticking/Dirty EGR Valve

Hi all,
I have read many articles in this group about people needing to clean their
EGR valves. I know all to well about this procedure. Fortunately I have not
had to do it on my 2000 SL1 yet. (knocking on wood) But, I have had to do it
many times on my '91 S10 blazer. A friend of mine recommend to me to use a
can of GM top engine cleaner. This stuff is less than $10.00 at a GM dealer.
I do not know if Saturn has a similar product. I can tell you that this
stuff is awesome. I would have to remove and clean that EGR valve every 3
months before I found out about this stuff. I used this stuff one time
following the directions on the can and it had been 2 years since I got the
dreaded code 32 from my blazer. If you are getting the code from your Saturn
or what ever the Saturn equivalent is. Pick up a can of this use it. The
only thing I will add to the directions on the can is. The last time you
start the car run it on the highway. Take that puppy up to 65MPH and blow
all that carbon out.
I think when you just clean the valve and not the rest of the system. It is
only short amount of time before some carbon breaks free and lodges in the
valve again.

Of course YMMV.

Paul