What Is the Best Fuel Pump for Ethanol Gas?

Old January 18th 11, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Henderson

Default What Is the Best Fuel Pump for Ethanol Gas?

Jim Ed wrote:

> What could it be?

Another common point of failure is the set of valves (controlling
the direction of fuel flow - tank to carby) built in to the
fuel pump upper body.

The upper fuel pump body is/was available as a separate part.

John
Old January 18th 11, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

On Jan 15, 7:09*pm, Jim Ed > wrote:
> My Beetle’s engine stalled today while I was on the highway.
>
> First I thought it was caused by vapor lock.
>
> *I waited for it to cool off.
>
> In an attempt to cool it off, I even squirted some yellow liquid on it
> when no vehicles were coming .
>
> Fuel was getting to the fuel pump but, it would not pump.
>
> Maybe the fuel pump push rod had worn down and there was not enough
> pressure to pump the gas.
>
> Maybe the ethanol gas had worn a hole in the fuel pumps’ diaphragm.
>
> Maybe I will start carrying a spare fuel pump, block, and push rod
> and replace it every three years and check the fuel pump pressure once
> a year.
>
> What could it be?
>
> What about the electric fuel pumps? Are they any more reliable?
> I suppose they would wear out just as fast with the ethanol gas.
>
> Any help is appreciated!

Today I ordered a replacement mechanical fuel pump from
aircooled.net.
They recommend packing it with universal grease.
What is a good brand to get?
TIA!