$74,000

Old May 15th 04, 02:46 AM
Tha Ghee

Default $74,000

"Toby Groves" > wrote in message
> In article >, Tha Ghee
> > writes
> >>
> >> Well, then again the A8 compares to the S-class, not the E-class.

> >Compare the A6 to the E-class to be fair...
> >>
> >> Randy

> >but the A-8 has no V-12 so how can it compare to the S-class??

> You mean the S-Class has no W-16, so how can it compare to the A-8?
> --
> Toby

the A8 doesn't have a W-16 here, only the V-8

Old May 16th 04, 03:12 AM
Avantium

"Tha Ghee" > wrote in message >...
> "Toby Groves" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Tha Ghee
> > > writes

> Compare the A6 to the E-class to be fair...

> > >but the A-8 has no V-12 so how can it compare to the S-class??

> > You mean the S-Class has no W-16, so how can it compare to the A-8?
> > --
> > Toby

> the A8 doesn't have a W-16 here, only the V-8

the A8 has or will very soon have a 12 cylinder engine in the US
it should be clear that the poster of the "W-16" comment made an
honest mistake

[kinda big and piggish, but nevertheless, it will have a 12 cylinder,
I believe a "W" configuration, which is two VR6s together...]
Old May 16th 04, 09:27 AM
Steve Grauman

>the A8 has or will very soon have a 12 cylinder engine in the US
>it should be clear that the poster of the "W-16" comment made an
>honest mistake

However, a "W16" has been developed for the new Bugatti supercar.

>[kinda big and piggish, but nevertheless, it will have a 12 cylinder,
>I believe a "W" configuration, which is two VR6s together...]

Yupp. It's essentially two 24 valve VR6s mated at the crank. VW found the
benefits of this engine years ago with the Corrado SLC.
Old May 16th 04, 09:28 AM
Toby Groves

In article >, Avantium
> writes
>the A8 has or will very soon have a 12 cylinder engine in the US
>it should be clear that the poster of the "W-16" comment made an
>honest mistake

Sorry about that.

>[kinda big and piggish, but nevertheless, it will have a 12 cylinder,
>I believe a "W" configuration, which is two VR6s together...]

Yeah, my comments were somewhat tongue-in-cheek. The comment was made
that since the S-class had a V12 available and the A8 did not, then it
must be a better car. I was simply responding to this by saying the A8
has a W12 available/coming, so does this make it a better car than the
Merc?
--
Toby
Old May 17th 04, 08:29 AM
Bram

"Tha Ghee" > wrote:

> a new A8-L stickers for $74k wow that's more than an E500,
> I see why VW/Audi is in trouble.

Wow that's a frigging BARGAIN!! In the Netherlands they go for
the equivalent of US$201k.. but than again you yanks get every
car virtually for free so maybe $74k is considered expensive
over there...
Old May 20th 04, 10:21 PM
Mike Smith

Avantium wrote:

> [kinda big and piggish, but nevertheless, it will have a 12 cylinder,
> I believe a "W" configuration, which is two VR6s together...]

"Big and piggish"? The whole point of the W design is its compactness -
it's only about as long as a V8.

--
Mike Smith

Old May 29th 04, 01:03 AM
Tha Ghee

"Avantium" > wrote in message
om...
> "Tha Ghee" > wrote in message

> > "Toby Groves" > wrote in message
> > > In article >, Tha Ghee

E-class.
> > Compare the A6 to the E-class to be fair...

> > > You mean the S-Class has no W-16, so how can it compare to the A-8?
> > > --
> > > Toby

> > the A8 doesn't have a W-16 here, only the V-8

> the A8 has or will very soon have a 12 cylinder engine in the US
> it should be clear that the poster of the "W-16" comment made an
> honest mistake
>
> [kinda big and piggish, but nevertheless, it will have a 12 cylinder,
> I believe a "W" configuration, which is two VR6s together...]

you do realize that a W-12 will never be as smooth as a V-12

Old May 29th 04, 01:05 AM
Tha Ghee

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> >the A8 has or will very soon have a 12 cylinder engine in the US
> >it should be clear that the poster of the "W-16" comment made an
> >honest mistake

> However, a "W16" has been developed for the new Bugatti supercar.
>
> >[kinda big and piggish, but nevertheless, it will have a 12 cylinder,
> >I believe a "W" configuration, which is two VR6s together...]
> >

> Yupp. It's essentially two 24 valve VR6s mated at the crank. VW found the
> benefits of this engine years ago with the Corrado SLC.

I think they should have ponied up a little money and made a true V-12.
with this config what are the true benefits??

Old May 29th 04, 01:06 AM
Tha Ghee

"Bram" > wrote in message
m...
> "Tha Ghee" > wrote:
>
> > a new A8-L stickers for $74k wow that's more than an E500,
> > I see why VW/Audi is in trouble.

> Wow that's a frigging BARGAIN!! In the Netherlands they go for
> the equivalent of US$201k.. but than again you yanks get every
> car virtually for free so maybe $74k is considered expensive
> over there...

not expensive but it's missing a few things like V-12, snob appeal. it does
have AWD.

but I think you get a few cars we don't.

Old May 29th 04, 11:30 PM
Steve Grauman

>I think they should have ponied up a little money and made a true V-12.

You're potentially talking hundreds of millions of dollars in development
costs.

>with this config what are the true benefits??

It's "footprint". The VR/W configurations make the engines narrower and allows
VW/Audi to squeeze them into places were an engine that size normally would not
fit. The 2.8 Litre VR6 fitted to the Golf/GTi/Jetta is an example of this, as
is the W8 in the Passat.