Premature timing belt failures

Old December 12th 05, 09:27 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Premature timing belt failures

wrote:

> past 60-70K miles..." Yeah, me too. However, my belief is that the
> cracks at Audi should have advised me 13,000 miles ago. I may be naive,
> but as a consmer I don't feel the need to research and validate what
> the manufacturer of a product tells me. I simply don't have the time to
> do this.

Just a general thing as far I am concerned: I do some research, because
it's my money and my life. Things sometimes break before their predicted
lifetime is over.

>Anyhow, I'll never buy another Audi product after this.

Well, I can fully understand you. I just don't think it's Audi specific.

But YMMV.

Wolfgang
Old December 13th 05, 12:08 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
> Ronny wrote:
>
>> If it happened to me, I would not buy another Audi car either. The dealer
>> is resposible for all maintence on the car as scheduled by the service
>> booklet,

> They did, and it still failed. That's his issue. So, is it the dealers
> fault?
>
> Wolfgang

Did they?

All his posts seem to suggest the dealer never said a thing, but after it
failed he then noticed more and more people telling him it should have been
changed at 60k miles.

Even if Audi do "suggest" it should be changed at 60k this is no comfort to
people who religiously stick to the service schedule, if Audi are saying the
belt "may" fail before 80k miles, then they NEED to change the service
booklet to accompany this.

The reason they don't, is it sells cars, if they said change the belts
(which is a big job) every 60k miles it might make you think twice about
buying the car, but saying 80k or 90/100k like my manual states, means no
big bills for while.

And yes it is the dealers fault imo.

Old December 13th 05, 10:18 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Ronny wrote:

> It's Audis responsibility to inform the user that the cam belt may break at
> 60k miles, and this needs to be written down as an advisory, this would then
> cover their ass and cover yours.

I accept that point, I'm just pretty sure, the same discussion will
start then when a belt breaks at 40k, i.e. before the 60k recommendation.

It's just a matter of statistics IMO. You'll have a certain amount of
belt failures at various mileages. The manufacturer recommends changing
belts before the majority breaks. The rest is statistical exceptions.

Sure, I wouldn't be happy about it either, but I can truly say, that
Audi here in Europe is obviously and most interestingly MUCH more
inclined to cover problems or at least contribute significantly.

Might be a result of the significantly higher price we pay.

Wolfgang
Old December 13th 05, 10:25 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Ronny wrote:

> Did they?

Well, as I read it, the dealer stuck to the Audi service maintenance.
That's what he's supposed to do.

> All his posts seem to suggest the dealer never said a thing, but after it
> failed he then noticed more and more people telling him it should have been
> changed at 60k miles.

Let me quote two sentences from his original post:

"Despite the fact that I have maintained the vehicle per Audi's
spec's at the dealership, they are taking no responsibility whatsoever.
The owner's manual for my car requires replacement at 80K miles."

This for me indicates the car has been maintained 'by the book'.

"Looking back, I find it strange that my service advisor reccomended
that I should "think about replacing my belt" even though he did not say
there were any signs that it would suddenly fail."

So, the dealer did mention it.

> Even if Audi do "suggest" it should be changed at 60k this is no comfort to
> people who religiously stick to the service schedule, if Audi are saying the
> belt "may" fail before 80k miles, then they NEED to change the service
> booklet to accompany this.

Right, but if it may fail before 40? Or before 30? Belts may fail
anytime. So do chains.

> And yes it is the dealers fault imo.

Well, I don't think so. I don't think it's the customers fault either.
As much as I regret to say: Sometimes it's just bad luck. Things break.

JM2C

Wolfgang
Old December 14th 05, 12:52 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a...d39993f41cdb09

>Although the posting was from 2003, I'd like to inform everyone that
>this problem is still very much an issue today.
>
>I own a 2001 Audi TT Roadster and just experienced belt failure at 73K
>miles. Despite the fact that I have maintained the vehicle per Audi's
>spec's at the dealership, they are taking no responsibility whatsoever.
>The owner's manual for my car requires replacement at 80K miles.
>
>>From the research I've done, it seems clear that Audi knows about this

>problem and is not acknowledging it. Looking back, I find it strange
>that my service advisor reccomended that I should "think about
>replacing my belt" even though he did not say there were any signs that
>it would suddenly fail. I'm seeing this repeated all over various
>postings on the web.
>
>I have talked with a number of shops that specialize in Audi's and the
>common knowledge in this community is that Audi belts fail early. I've
>also found a number of informative sources on the matter and would
>appreciate it if anyone out there who knows more could reply to this
>group, especially related to the class action case.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Eric Davis
>
>Link to a news article in the Boston Globe (posted 7-17-2005) about a
>class action lawsuit that Audi settled related to early belt failures:
>http://www.boston.com/business/artic...gine_of_change
>
>Link to a helpful shop in LA that has experience with these failures:
>http://stuttgartauto.com/Stuttgart%2...tive%20Inc.htm

I have an 87 Audi 5000s.

The original timing belt broke after 17 years.

My fault, should have replaced it sooner!

Old December 18th 05, 09:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

>> A quick update on the timing belt thing...
>>
>> I received a copy of the New Jersey class action settlement, which I'll
>> be glad to send to anyone who desires it. (Just e-mail me directly at
>> ). The bottom line is that Audi agreed to pay
>> claims, etc to the defined settlement class which is A4 owners from
>> years 98-00.
>>
>> Although I'm not part of the settlement class, I do have the same base
>> engine 1.8L w/ TC, so I brought this to the attention of the dealer as
>> well as Audi of America and the *best* treament I received from them
>> was a credit for the cost of the timing belt repalcement (~$1500). I'll
>> still be pursuing compensation from Audi of America for the balance.
>>

>I'd be grateful for a copy of the suit, thanks.
>
>And please let me know how your negotiations
>proceed. I'm looking at 60K mi. on my 2000 A4,
>(actually made late 1999) and will need to make
>a decision this Spring on how to proceed with this
>'major surgery'.

I had mine replaced on my 2001 Audi A4 (2.8L V6) with 72,000 miles and
I have to tell you, the belt looked to be in excellent shape, as did
the water pump, tensioner and related parts.

The tech indicated the belt/associated parts could have easily gone
much longer. He actually showed me each part and where they usually
see a lot of wear.

I am not sure it would have made it to 105,000 miles (the Audi
recomended interval), but it certainly had more life beyond 72,000
miles!

But, I didn't want to take any chances, so I spent the $800 to have it
all replaced (rather than $4000 for a new engine!).