1999 Audi A6 Quattro Check Engine Light

Old November 29th 05, 04:55 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default 1999 Audi A6 Quattro Check Engine Light

I own a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro that has about 78k miles on it. Just
recently the check engine light has come and stayed on and at times
flashes (flashes mostly when I accelerate). The car is driving a bit
shaky upon acceleration ans start up, almost like its not gettin enough
gas to the engine. The Audi manual says the check engine light is
related to emmissions control and when it flashes its an indicator of
the catalytic converters needing to be replaced. I have tried some
fuel injector cleaner, not sure what else to do. I would love to avoid
taking the car to a shop as I'm sure we all know how expensive that can
be. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old November 29th 05, 05:33 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

On 28 Nov 2005 19:55:17 -0800, " >
wrote:

>I own a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro that has about 78k miles on it. Just
>recently the check engine light has come and stayed on and at times
>flashes (flashes mostly when I accelerate). The car is driving a bit
>shaky upon acceleration ans start up, almost like its not gettin enough
>gas to the engine. The Audi manual says the check engine light is
>related to emmissions control and when it flashes its an indicator of
>the catalytic converters needing to be replaced. I have tried some
>fuel injector cleaner, not sure what else to do. I would love to avoid
>taking the car to a shop as I'm sure we all know how expensive that can
>be. Any help would be great.
>
>Thanks

Take it by Autozone and have them read out the codes. They will do
that for free.

I am going from memory, but I am pretty sure the Audi service advisor
told me when the check engine light blinks, you need to get it in for
service sooner rather than later.

At the time, mine was on solid, but he was warning me to watch for
that.

YMMV.
Old November 29th 05, 08:35 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Curtis Newton wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2005 19:55:17 -0800, " >
> wrote:
>

>>I own a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro that has about 78k miles on it. Just
>>recently the check engine light has come and stayed on and at times
>>flashes (flashes mostly when I accelerate). The car is driving a bit
>>shaky upon acceleration ans start up, almost like its not gettin enough
>>gas to the engine. The Audi manual says the check engine light is
>>related to emmissions control and when it flashes its an indicator of
>>the catalytic converters needing to be replaced. I have tried some
>>fuel injector cleaner, not sure what else to do. I would love to avoid
>>taking the car to a shop as I'm sure we all know how expensive that can
>>be. Any help would be great.
>>
>>Thanks

> Take it by Autozone and have them read out the codes. They will do
> that for free.
>
> I am going from memory, but I am pretty sure the Audi service advisor
> told me when the check engine light blinks, you need to get it in for
> service sooner rather than later.

Actually, it indicates serious conditions that can ruin the engine if driven
further. You are suppose to stop and have it towed to get service.

Now, that is taking things to an extreme to protect AoA from owners who are
clueless. Some of the conditions are bad but you can drive, carefully, to
service and if you are quite sure of what problem is causing the code, and it is
not fatal, you can take your time getting service.

It can indicate problems such as total loss of oil or coolant. Obviously, if
this is the cause you would coast to a stop and tow it to service.

OTOH, you said that the light is flashing and then stops. You probably have the
option of driving to get service rather than towing. The alternative could cost
more money that you would want to spend.

Old November 29th 05, 10:55 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I own a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro that has about 78k miles on it. Just
> recently the check engine light has come and stayed on and at times
> flashes (flashes mostly when I accelerate). The car is driving a bit
> shaky upon acceleration ans start up, almost like its not gettin enough
> gas to the engine. The Audi manual says the check engine light is
> related to emmissions control and when it flashes its an indicator of
> the catalytic converters needing to be replaced. I have tried some
> fuel injector cleaner, not sure what else to do. I would love to avoid
> taking the car to a shop as I'm sure we all know how expensive that can
> be. Any help would be great.
>
> Thanks

What engine is it?

Sounds like a faulty coilpack, you need to read the codes, then it will tell
you what is wrong

Old November 30th 05, 12:25 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

> fuel injector cleaner, not sure what else to do. I would love to avoid
> taking the car to a shop as I'm sure we all know how expensive that can
> be. Any help would be great.
>
> Thanks

This problem will not be solved without a shop of some kind, and the more
you delay solving it the more chances you're introducing more problems, like
fouling the injectors and the exhaust system. You need to pull the fault
code from the computer before you go stabbing in the dark.