2.7T Gas Mileage

Old January 27th 08, 04:52 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Benjamin Gawert

Default 2.7T Gas Mileage

* Pete:

> Are you saying all Audis sold in the US have to be modified in order to
> run reliably here?

I assume "here" for you means the US? If so then yes. The fuel quality
in the US is much lower than in western Europe. The Audis (and VWs and
BMWs and Mercedes) that are made for the US contain specific
modifications to run reliable with that low fuel quality.

Benjamin
Old January 27th 08, 07:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_10_]

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote
> The fuel quality in the US is much lower than in western Europe. The
> Audis (and VWs and BMWs and Mercedes) that are made for the US contain
> specific modifications to run reliable with that low fuel quality.

Can you provide links to some documentation on this subject? It's not
that I don't trust you. It's just that I'd like to find a valid source
if this information.

Thanks,
Pete

Old January 28th 08, 12:26 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
H.D.

Hello Pete

>> The fuel quality in the US is much lower than in western Europe. The
>> Audis (and VWs and BMWs and Mercedes) that are made for the US contain
>> specific modifications to run reliable with that low fuel quality.

>Can you provide links to some documentation on this subject? It's not
>that I don't trust you. It's just that I'd like to find a valid source
>if this information.

In European Union, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland diesel fuel must meet
EN-590.
More he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_590

I know for gas[oline], there is also such a norm, but have to look up
the EN number first.
Old January 29th 08, 03:09 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bruce W. Ellis

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:12:38 -0500, "Ken K" >
wrote:

>I am a recent owner of a 03 2.7T and am getting about 18 mpg. I am running
>premium gas and most of the driving is highway. The computer claims I am
>getting an average of 21.6. Does this sound right? If not, what can I do to
>improve the mileage?
>Thanks, K

My 2000 A6 2.7T generally gives in the low 20's when at highway speed
(~ 70). City driving in the upper teens. The nice thing about a
relatively small V6 is that it will do well with gas mileage at
cruising. The MPG depends on how much you engage the loud pedal
(turbos). The power is there when you need it (to pass, etc.) but a
large displacement engine is not being pumped when not needed. Your
mileage may vary..
Old January 29th 08, 04:23 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_10_]

"Bruce W. Ellis" wrote
> My 2000 A6 2.7T generally gives in the low 20's when at highway speed
> (~ 70). City driving in the upper teens. The nice thing about a
> relatively small V6 is that it will do well with gas mileage at
> cruising.

You call low 20s good gas mileage at cruising? Maybe for a 5-liter V10
engine. Most modern V6 and I6 engines can do much better these days.

Don't get me wrong, I know this 2.7tt is not your ordinary V6 and it
lots of fun, but good gas mileage is not one of it's strong points.

Pete

Old January 29th 08, 07:18 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >, "Pete" >
wrote:

> "Bruce W. Ellis" wrote
> > My 2000 A6 2.7T generally gives in the low 20's when at highway speed
> > (~ 70). City driving in the upper teens. The nice thing about a
> > relatively small V6 is that it will do well with gas mileage at
> > cruising.

> You call low 20s good gas mileage at cruising? Maybe for a 5-liter V10
> engine. Most modern V6 and I6 engines can do much better these days.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I know this 2.7tt is not your ordinary V6 and it
> lots of fun, but good gas mileage is not one of it's strong points.
>
> Pete

VWs lack the high top gear that gives Japanese cars their good milage.
It makes them more responsive but it costs dearly in cruising efficiency.

--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.
Old January 29th 08, 05:27 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_8_]

"Kevin McMurtrie"
> VWs lack the high top gear that gives Japanese cars their good milage.
> It makes them more responsive but it costs dearly in cruising efficiency.

Add to that the permanent awd system in that A6 2.7T which also negatively
affects mpg, both from the mechanical and added weight perspectives. My
530i gets 30 mpg (US) if I cruise at 70 mph.

Pete

Old January 31st 08, 02:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Benjamin Gawert

* Pete:

> "Benjamin Gawert" wrote
>> The fuel quality in the US is much lower than in western Europe. The
>> Audis (and VWs and BMWs and Mercedes) that are made for the US contain
>> specific modifications to run reliable with that low fuel quality.

> Can you provide links to some documentation on this subject? It's not
> that I don't trust you. It's just that I'd like to find a valid source
> if this information.

I don't have a link by hand. There once were some articles on a oil
company website that discussed that stuff but I can't remember the link.

You can for example compare the European fuel standards (EN228 for
gasoline and EN590 for Diesel) with the equivalent US standards and
you'll see that the European standards are much tighter.

Besides that, if you have access to maintenance/part documentation you
can compare the specifications for US and European models of certain
cars. I.e. the last Volkswagen Passat with 1.8l Turbo engine (20 valve)
was sold in the US with 130hp while the European version had 150hp. This
was done because of the lower fuel quality.

There are other differences as well. German-made cars sold in Western
Europe usually conform to the German standard which means the car must
run reliable even when driving at maximum speed for a long time.
Overseas versions which rarely get driven faster than 55-80 mp/h often
come with downsized cooling systems, brake systems and other things
which save the manufacturer money and have no influence on safety or
reliability in countries with general speed limits.

Benjamin
Old February 1st 08, 01:35 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_8_]

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote
> I.e. the last Volkswagen Passat with 1.8l Turbo engine (20 valve) was sold
> in the US with 130hp while the European version had 150hp. This was done
> because of the lower fuel quality.

The 1.8T never had 130hp in the US. It had 150hp initially, and then 170hp
in later years.

Pete

Old February 1st 08, 05:36 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
No Spam Please

I call bull****....

"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
>* Pete:
>>
>> "Benjamin Gawert" wrote
>>> The fuel quality in the US is much lower than in western Europe. The
>>> Audis (and VWs and BMWs and Mercedes) that are made for the US contain
>>> specific modifications to run reliable with that low fuel quality.

>> Can you provide links to some documentation on this subject? It's not
>> that I don't trust you. It's just that I'd like to find a valid source
>> if this information.

> I don't have a link by hand. There once were some articles on a oil
> company website that discussed that stuff but I can't remember the link.
>
> You can for example compare the European fuel standards (EN228 for
> gasoline and EN590 for Diesel) with the equivalent US standards and you'll
> see that the European standards are much tighter.
>
> Besides that, if you have access to maintenance/part documentation you can
> compare the specifications for US and European models of certain cars.
> I.e. the last Volkswagen Passat with 1.8l Turbo engine (20 valve) was sold
> in the US with 130hp while the European version had 150hp. This was done
> because of the lower fuel quality.
>
> There are other differences as well. German-made cars sold in Western
> Europe usually conform to the German standard which means the car must run
> reliable even when driving at maximum speed for a long time. Overseas
> versions which rarely get driven faster than 55-80 mp/h often come with
> downsized cooling systems, brake systems and other things which save the
> manufacturer money and have no influence on safety or reliability in
> countries with general speed limits.
>
> Benjamin

even with low mileage [email protected][_1_] VW air cooled 0 December 19th 06 03:20 AM
Gas Mileage mike113 Chrysler 4 February 8th 06 07:31 PM
Mileage Ellen L Hawley 4x4 0 January 22nd 06 07:47 PM
High Mileage VW Bug Mileage Paul Regal VW air cooled 51 April 5th 05 07:36 AM
What gas mileage do you get? BananaRepublican VW air cooled 59 April 3rd 05 09:12 PM