89 Audi 100 - No Start, Battery OK, What next?

Old May 30th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default Mechanic says there is nothing wrong

radiator fan

Old May 30th 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Stephen Clark[_2_]

Yep, I agree, Dave, the radiator fan is a high-current draw, and if it runs
for too long, it'll bring down the battery for sure. I have to go see the
mechanic tomorrow for other reasons, and I'll have him check out the
components. You may win the prize yet!

stc

t...

Old May 30th 07, 08:39 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Stephen Clark[_2_]

Old May 31st 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Stephen Clark[_2_]

Default Mechanic still says there is nothing wrong....

He looked a the car today, says that after-run switch on the back of the
head could be the culprit, but recommends not changing it unless the
incident happens again. After-run circuit can be disabled by pulling a wire
on this switch.

His contention is that the after-run switch is programmed to run the
radiator fans for 15 minutes max. I wasn't in the grocery store that long,
so even if it had run full speed for 8-10 minutes, that should not have
brought the battery down.

What do you guys think?

--
Stephen Clark
Houston, Texas USA

Old May 31st 07, 10:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Depends on the battery condition, fully charged before the incident and a
good battery, charging system, etc.

If the battery was in good condition with a full charge............then the
vehicle should probably have started after 15 minutes. That is a powerful
fan though! ;-)

Has this happened since?

Old May 31st 07, 11:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_10_]

The after run should run at fan speed one which is much less draw than
speeds two or three. Still if it is acting up there may be other issues
with it.

It seems like a good evaluation by your mechanic.

Old June 1st 07, 12:15 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Stephen Clark[_2_]

Hasn't happened since, but see update below...

Old June 1st 07, 12:17 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Stephen Clark[_2_]

Default Update - I may have found the problem - driver's door jamb harness!

Started the car to check the trans fluid level, and heard some "popping"
noises from the accordion boot in the drivers door jamb. Listened carefully
as I moved the door back and forth, with engine both on and off. When the
engine is off, the popping noises stop, leading me to believe that there is
a short, or broken wires, inside the boot.

Everything electrical that is controlled from the driver's door operates
properly: all four windows, seat adjustment memory, etc. I pulled back the
boot, and didn't see any evidence of shorting, or broken insulation on the
wires. However there are a lot of wires in there, and I couldn't see all of
them. I have had a couple of times lately a problem with the driver's window
not wanting to go down, but that is working ok at the moment.

Those of you that have experienced this problem - do these symptoms sound
familiar?
--
Stephen Clark
Houston, Texas USA

Old June 1st 07, 02:59 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default Update - I may have found the problem - driver's door jamb harness! '89 100

possibility
look at the insulation very carefully. I have seen & repaired a lot of
breaking/broken wiring at the doors.

I still don't think that would have discharged the battery in 15 minutes
though!

Old June 1st 07, 07:53 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Stephen Clark[_2_]

Default Never mind.. I must be hearing things

Took another listen and decided what I was hearing was just the door trim
squeaking. The reason it stopped with the engine off was simply engine
vibrations in the door. With the engine off, but key on, there is no noise.
And, those circuits are live with the key on, and engine off - so I should
be hearing any arcing. Plus, there is no smell, and no discoloration.

So I'm going to stop trying to invent explanations, and simply wait for a
hard failure like my mechanic suggested.

Have a nice weekend, Dave!

--
Stephen Clark
Houston, Texas USA