Audi 4 vs. Bmw 3 Series

Old December 14th 04, 01:39 AM
chris

Dan J.S. wrote:
> "Cam Newton" > wrote in message

>>>The IS is rear wheel drive... and the new one will be AWD...
>>>

>>I am thinking too much weight for the frame with a new AWD system.
>>Everybody is onto AWD but Audi was there first.
>>
>>Why not an Volvo S40? Or save loadsadough and go with the Mazda 3.

> Mazda has problems with the rotary engines... Volvo, I guess, but that has
> an old man image, like a Cadillac...

The Mazda 3 does not have a rotary engine. Only the RX8.
Old December 14th 04, 03:50 AM
Mike Smith

Dan J.S. wrote:

> "Cam Newton" > wrote in message
>

>>Why not an Volvo S40? Or save loadsadough and go with the Mazda 3.

> Mazda has problems with the rotary engines... Volvo, I guess, but that has
> an old man image, like a Cadillac...

The Mazda 3 uses regular inline-4 engines. Nice ones, too.

--
Mike Smith
Old December 14th 04, 05:05 AM
Steve Grauman

>The Mazda 3 uses regular inline-4 engines. Nice ones, too.

I test drove a 3 with my brother, nice little car. For around $23k you can get
leather seats, navigation with premium sound, the bigger engine, etc...it's a
hell of a deal. I'd probably think about one to replace my GTI if I wasn't dead
set on waiting another year to year and 1/2 for either an MKV S3 or a BMW
1-series.
Steve Grauman
Old December 14th 04, 09:04 PM
Cam Newton

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:19:49 -0600, "Dan J.S." > wrote:

>"Cam Newton" > wrote in message

>>>The IS is rear wheel drive... and the new one will be AWD...
>>>

>> I am thinking too much weight for the frame with a new AWD system.
>> Everybody is onto AWD but Audi was there first.
>>
>> Why not an Volvo S40? Or save loadsadough and go with the Mazda 3.

>Mazda has problems with the rotary engines... Volvo, I guess, but that has
>an old man image, like a Cadillac...

I was being facetious about the Volvo. The S40 is a tarted up Mazda 3
with a bigger marketing budget, nothing more. And Ford quality to
boot. Volvo is not anywhere near where it was nor where it thinks it
is. When i went to kick tires at the local Volvo shop the guy said the
S60 was = to an A8. I guess he had never seen an A8. The S60 on a good
day is an A6 stripper.
Old December 15th 04, 03:15 AM
Mike Smith

Cam Newton wrote:

> I was being facetious about the Volvo. The S40 is a tarted up Mazda 3
> with a bigger marketing budget, nothing more.

Actually, it's a tarted-up Ford Focus.

> Volvo is not anywhere near where it was nor where it thinks it
> is. When i went to kick tires at the local Volvo shop the guy said the
> S60 was = to an A8. I guess he had never seen an A8. The S60 on a good
> day is an A6 stripper.

I would say more like S80 ~= A6. The A8 is equaled only by other
top-notch Germans.

--
Mike Smith
Old December 15th 04, 06:04 PM
Cam Newton

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:15:56 -0500, Mike Smith
> wrote:

>Cam Newton wrote:
>>
>> I was being facetious about the Volvo. The S40 is a tarted up Mazda 3
>> with a bigger marketing budget, nothing more.

>Actually, it's a tarted-up Ford Focus.

Indeed. And the Foucs has such good optics. Not too many recalls, the
work is not that shoddy, the final assembly is pretty OK, fit and
finish is ... Ford-like.

> > Volvo is not anywhere near where it was nor where it thinks it
>> is. When i went to kick tires at the local Volvo shop the guy said the
>> S60 was = to an A8. I guess he had never seen an A8. The S60 on a good
>> day is an A6 stripper.

>I would say more like S80 ~= A6. The A8 is equaled only by other
>top-notch Germans.

Agreed.

Old December 16th 04, 03:43 AM
Steve Grauman

>The S40 is a tarted up Mazda 3

Sure, if you forget about the bigger, better engines (especially the T5), the
avaliablility if AWD on the S40 or the much nicer interior the Volvo enjoys.

>Volvo is not anywhere near where it was nor where it thinks it
>is.

Well, I'd mostly agree with that. I know that the C70 and S80 have both been
extremely problematic vehicles. However, the S60, which was the first Volvo
sedan designed under Ford, is in fact the most reliable car/wagon they've built
in several years - the S40 notwisthsatdning because it's so new and the XC90
because it's....not a car, well, not entirely a car, it is S80 based.

> When i went to kick tires at the local Volvo shop the guy said the
>S60 was = to an A8.

They'll make all kinds of bull**** claims to sell their cars. The local BMW
dealer swears his cars are superior to Porsches and that the "toyish" X3 is
superior to the Touraeg.
Steve Grauman
Old December 16th 04, 03:48 AM
Steve Grauman

>I appreciate the economic necessity to re-use various bits of h/w by
>car assemblers and lord knows, there is a bit in my B6 A4 that started
>as a VW product (mostly in the engine, I believe)

Audi/VW do this quite a bit. The Golf, Jetta, New Beetle, TT and A3 are all on
the same platform. The B5 A4 and B5/5.5 Passat were on the same platform and
shared *2* engines, the 1.8T and 2.8 V6. Not to mention that Seat and Skoda
models are really just VWs with new badging. The 4.2 litre V8 is used by Audi
in the A8, A6, S4 and Allroad and by VW in the Toureag and Pheaton. The 2.7T
started in the B5 S4 and ended up in the (outgoing) A6 and Allroad.

>So why would I buy a G35X if I can
>get a Maxima (RWD) for a bunch less?

The Maxima is FWD, actually and the G35 is built on the Altima's platform, not
the Maxima's. Plus the G35 is nicer inside and (oddly) more reasonablly priced
for what you get. The G35 is getting a new interior for 2006 models, looks
nicer.
Steve Grauman

Audi All Road reliability LIW Audi 2 November 3rd 04 09:39 PM
audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
audi cd for pc news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 1 October 7th 04 09:51 PM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM