Power Steering Hoses

Old July 20th 04, 01:23 AM
Simon

Default Power Steering Hoses

Sigh,

It seems that my A4 has developed a leak in the power steering hoses.
My car is an A4 1.8T right hand drive manufactured in September 2000.
The car is now at 71,000 Kilometers.

Q1: Can these leaks be repaired or do I have to change the hoses?

Q2: If I have to change the hoses can I use a hose from a US spec car
in my UK spec auto? My Dealer says that the US and UK hoses are
different because are designed to accommodate the right hand and left
hand drive steering setups.

Q3: If I can not use the US hose can someone recommend a good online
UK parts dealer?

Q4: What is a reasonable price for the hose? I know there are
several hoses. My dealer did not specify but I am assuming that it is
the - pump to rack - hose as this is the unit that seems to operate
at highest pressure.

As Always - Many Thanks To All.

Simon
Old July 20th 04, 05:47 PM
The Al Bundy

"Simon" > wrote
om...
> Sigh,
>
> It seems that my A4 has developed a leak in the power steering hoses.
> My car is an A4 1.8T right hand drive manufactured in September 2000.
> The car is now at 71,000 Kilometers.
>
> Q1: Can these leaks be repaired or do I have to change the hoses?

If a joint is leaking it can possibly fixed by replacing the seal between.
If the hose is broken it is better to replace it because of the high
pressure.

> Q2: If I have to change the hoses can I use a hose from a US spec car
> in my UK spec auto? My Dealer says that the US and UK hoses are
> different because are designed to accommodate the right hand and left
> hand drive steering setups.

No, there is a difference between LHD and RHD.

> Q3: If I can not use the US hose can someone recommend a good online
> UK parts dealer?

I dont know.

> Q4: What is a reasonable price for the hose? I know there are
> several hoses. My dealer did not specify but I am assuming that it is
> the - pump to rack - hose as this is the unit that seems to operate
> at highest pressure.

look here for the hose, click on the audi part nr and see the price roughly.
http://www.elcats.ru/audivw/vag5.asp...422-60&cid=223
Some 170$ for the hose.

Al

Old July 20th 04, 07:58 PM
Chris Bartram

Simon wrote:
> Sigh,
>
> It seems that my A4 has developed a leak in the power steering hoses.
> My car is an A4 1.8T right hand drive manufactured in September 2000.
> The car is now at 71,000 Kilometers.
>
> Q1: Can these leaks be repaired or do I have to change the hoses?

Change the hoses :-(

> Q2: If I have to change the hoses can I use a hose from a US spec car
> in my UK spec auto? My Dealer says that the US and UK hoses are
> different because are designed to accommodate the right hand and left
> hand drive steering setups.

No, you'll need RHD hoses.

http://www.gsfcarparts.com
http://www.eurocarparts.com

> Simon

Radio Controls on Steering Wheel 147 Paul Woodsford Alfa Romeo 0 October 31st 04 05:56 PM
Power Windows ('98 A6) Question eBob.com Audi 1 June 8th 04 02:20 AM
Mysterious drops in power Ernest Audi 1 June 3rd 04 01:08 PM
Loss of Power Whilst Towing Caravan Stuart Thomson Audi 6 June 1st 04 09:46 PM
Power loss at 4000 rpm GTV 2.0L steve Alfa Romeo 1 May 9th 04 07:36 AM