Logitech G25: is it easily removable?

Old January 13th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Hans de Heer

Default Logitech G25: is it easily removable?

Since my Logitech Momo has gone bad (gas pedal floored only results in 80%
throttle or so.. have to see if cleaning will help) I might be looking for
an upgrade soon.
The G25 sounds really good, but I would like to know if it's easy to remove
the thing from my desktop when not in use. Is it like my Logitech Momo, the
screw on the bottom and the two clamps from the top? Since I do not have a
dedicated simracing box, this is important to me. I really don't wanna type
emails with the wheel attached in front of me... and I'm pretty sure my wife
is even more opposed to doing so...

Thanks for any help, Hans

Old January 13th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Steven Foster

Have a look at this video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB_kWmbmX6I

Some good shots of the clamp in there.

Old January 13th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Hans de Heer

Steven Foster wrote:
> Have a look at this video review:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB_kWmbmX6I
>
> Some good shots of the clamp in there.

Thanks. Looks like it is indeed quite easy to uninstall. Although there is
of course the extra unit with the gearshifter, and the cable hub might be
somewhat more of a hassle than the cabling of my current Momo.

Cheers, Hans

Old January 14th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rod[_2_]

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:59:17 +0100, "Hans de Heer"
> wrote:

>Since my Logitech Momo has gone bad (gas pedal floored only results in 80%
>throttle or so.. have to see if cleaning will help) I might be looking for
>an upgrade soon.
>The G25 sounds really good, but I would like to know if it's easy to remove
>the thing from my desktop when not in use. Is it like my Logitech Momo, the
>screw on the bottom and the two clamps from the top? Since I do not have a
>dedicated simracing box, this is important to me. I really don't wanna type
>emails with the wheel attached in front of me... and I'm pretty sure my wife
>is even more opposed to doing so...

Very easy and painless. 2 thumbscrews at the top of each device and
the clamping mechanism is surprisingly good.

Cheers,
Rod.
Old January 14th 07, 09:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> Is it like my Logitech Momo, the screw on the bottom and the two clamps
> from the top?

I have a momo racing wheel and pedals, but because of the setup time, I
almost always use twin joysticks, the left one for throttle/brake, and the
right for steering (like the old rc transmitter for cars, although I only
use rc for aircraft). The sticks just sit on a clipboard, which I wedge
into a partially opened center drawer. I set them to the left when not in use.

http://jeffareid.net/game/cr04.jpg

Old January 14th 07, 10:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andre Warringa

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:59:17 +0100, "Hans de Heer"
> wrote:

>Since my Logitech Momo has gone bad (gas pedal floored only results in 80%
>throttle or so.. have to see if cleaning will help) I might be looking for
>an upgrade soon.
>The G25 sounds really good, but I would like to know if it's easy to remove
>the thing from my desktop when not in use. Is it like my Logitech Momo, the
>screw on the bottom and the two clamps from the top? Since I do not have a
>dedicated simracing box, this is important to me. I really don't wanna type
>emails with the wheel attached in front of me... and I'm pretty sure my wife
>is even more opposed to doing so...

It's not, and for me it's the biggest flaw of the G25. There are 4
cables coming out of the G25. If you want to remove the unit, you have
to pick up the pedals, the steer and the shifter unit all at once.
This isn't really an option if you want to handle the units a bit
carefully.

So you have to remove the cables from the wheel so that you can remove
the units one by one. Thing is, the cables are connected to the bottom
and inside of the wheel. There is very little space there to connect
the cables, and if you remove and reconnect the cables each time, you
will surely damage the cables in no-time.

Luckily I have a long desk, so I simply loosen the clamps of the wheel
and shifter, and I shift the whole unit to the left. But thanks to the
4 cables and the cable to the pedals which is WAY too short, I have to
do that carefully too.

It would have been a lot better if you could plug in the cables on the
outside of the wheel, just like with the Momo.
For the rest the wheel is totally fantastic though

Cheers
Andre
Old January 14th 07, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Hans de Heer

Andre Warringa wrote:
> It's not, and for me it's the biggest flaw of the G25. There are 4
> cables coming out of the G25. If you want to remove the unit, you have
> to pick up the pedals, the steer and the shifter unit all at once.
> This isn't really an option if you want to handle the units a bit
> carefully.

Hmm, okay.. I was kinda worried about that too.

> Luckily I have a long desk, so I simply loosen the clamps of the wheel
> and shifter, and I shift the whole unit to the left. But thanks to the
> 4 cables and the cable to the pedals which is WAY too short, I have to
> do that carefully too.

My desk is long enough to do that too. So is it possible to shift wheel and
gearshifter units 50cm to (in my case) the right without removing the
cabling?

Cheers, Hans

Old January 14th 07, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Hans de Heer

Rod wrote:
> Very easy and painless. 2 thumbscrews at the top of each device and
> the clamping mechanism is surprisingly good.

Okay, so the problem might be the cabling, see Andre's reply. Thanks for
your input!

Cheers, Hans

Old January 14th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> The G25 sounds really good, but I would like to know if it's easy to remove the thing from my desktop when not in use.

If I left a wheel clamped onto my desk and my wife wanted to use the
computer, I'm sure she'd find the G25 easily removable, but I'd never be
able to use it again.

Old January 14th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Hans de Heer

Jeff Reid wrote:
>> Is it like my Logitech Momo, the screw on the bottom and the two
>> clamps from the top?

> I have a momo racing wheel and pedals, but because of the setup time,
> I almost always use twin joysticks

I have a Momo Racing and I don't find the setup time a problem. The cables
are easily plugged into and out of the back of the wheel unit. Loosen the
two clamps and center screw in the bottom of the unit and I can put the
wheel aside.

Cheers, Hans