Help with GPL Kyalami

Old October 2nd 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andreas Davour

Default Help with GPL Kyalami

"Jeff Reid" > writes:

> > You don't say which car (I haven't seen the replay)

> Lotus.
>
> > The biggest gain I ever got in GPL was after several years of league

> Ok, so maybe after several years, I'll get this. Was hoping for something
> shorter.

Kya is regarded as the toughest benchmark time. Take your time.

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old October 3rd 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> Kya is regarded as the toughest benchmark time. Take your time.

I'm already negative, but just barely. Was just trying to shave
another .25 off my old time, but so far it's just .004.

Old October 3rd 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> Lowering the acc ramp and raising the decelleration ramp makes you go faster. Takes a little getting used to but lap
> times come down.

I raised coast ramp, was running 85/45/5, switched to 85/60/5, time down
to a 1:20.61, so at least an improvement.

Old October 3rd 06, 09:48 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes[_1_]

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in message
>> Lowering the acc ramp and raising the decelleration ramp makes you go
>> faster. Takes a little getting used to but lap times come down.

> I raised coast ramp, was running 85/45/5, switched to 85/60/5, time down
> to a 1:20.61, so at least an improvement.

The target to shoot for at any track is 30/85 with 1 clutch.

The 85 decelleration ramp with 1 clutch allows maximum turn in
capability - this is obviously dependent on your control/driving ability

The 30 acceleration ramp makes the rear end work as one piece (almost).
This makes the car turn better (test thru Escari at Monza for example). The
other huge benifit of this is that you dont spin the inside tire coming off
corners (like Parabolica). This does make the car a little more prone to
snap oversteer but once again, how good are you?

Old October 3rd 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Greg Campbell

Byron Forbes wrote:

> "Jeff Reid" > wrote in message

>>I raised coast ramp, was running 85/45/5, switched to 85/60/5, time down
>>to a 1:20.61, so at least an improvement.

> The target to shoot for at any track is 30/85 with 1 clutch.

> The 85 decelleration ramp with 1 clutch allows maximum turn in
> capability - this is obviously dependent on your control/driving ability

> The 30 acceleration ramp makes the rear end work as one piece (almost).
> This makes the car turn better (test thru Escari at Monza for example). The
> other huge benifit of this is that you dont spin the inside tire coming off
> corners (like Parabolica). This does make the car a little more prone to
> snap oversteer but once again, how good are you?

30 drive is gross overkill for many tracks. Trying to navigate
something like the Mexico esses with that level of spool induced
understeer is silly. If you need a 30 to make the pig turn, the car's
chassis is way underbalanced, IMO.

Agree with the 85 coast, although some tracks, like the Ring, really
want the extra stability of a 60.

Jeff, try a smaller step, and aim for something like 60/60/1. Move the
brake bias forward if you're loosing the rear on corner entry.

-G
Old October 3rd 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

What the hell are you people talking about!

Just adjust the damned wedge

-Larry

Old October 4th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes[_1_]

"Greg Campbell" > wrote in message
> Byron Forbes wrote:
>
>> "Jeff Reid" > wrote in message

>>>I raised coast ramp, was running 85/45/5, switched to 85/60/5, time down
>>>to a 1:20.61, so at least an improvement.

>> The target to shoot for at any track is 30/85 with 1 clutch.

>> The 85 decelleration ramp with 1 clutch allows maximum turn in
>> capability - this is obviously dependent on your control/driving ability

>> The 30 acceleration ramp makes the rear end work as one piece
>> (almost). This makes the car turn better (test thru Escari at Monza for
>> example). The other huge benifit of this is that you dont spin the inside
>> tire coming off corners (like Parabolica). This does make the car a
>> little more prone to snap oversteer but once again, how good are you?

> 30 drive is gross overkill for many tracks. Trying to navigate something
> like the Mexico esses with that level of spool induced understeer is
> silly. If you need a 30 to make the pig turn, the car's chassis is way
> underbalanced, IMO.
>
> Agree with the 85 coast, although some tracks, like the Ring, really for
> want the extra stability of a 60.
>
> Jeff, try a smaller step, and aim for something like 60/60/1. Move the
> brake bias forward if you're loosing the rear on corner entry.
>
> -G

Yes, no doubt a track with a lot of slower corners would prefer less acc
ramp for the reasons you mentioned. Not that I've tested for this though.

What I really meant was to shoot for 30/85/1 at most places (obviously
you need to make substantial adjustment to the rest of the setup at each
variation of diff config) since it will normally be the fastest config. Then
you go back from there taking into account your own skill level and less
usually the number of slower corners as you've mentioned. A lot of the
30/85/1 configs were used by those using a lot of simultaneous gas and brake
pedal driving techniques. A lot of my setups are in the 45/60/1 zone with
monza a definite 30/85/1 setup.

I am pretty sure that more than 1 clutch is a no no except for perhaps
ovals.

So any top 50 GPL Rankers around to weigh in? I think this is about
right.

Old October 4th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> What I really meant was to shoot for 30/85/1 at most places

There are times of 1:18.xx with a conservative 85/60/5 setup,
GH got a time of 1:18.25 with a 85/45/5 setup.

I'm just trying to get a sub 1:20.5. Problem is I can't find any
of the old replays with the older differential settings.

Old October 5th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Malc

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in message
> > What I really meant was to shoot for 30/85/1 at most places

> There are times of 1:18.xx with a conservative 85/60/5 setup,
> GH got a time of 1:18.25 with a 85/45/5 setup.
>
> I'm just trying to get a sub 1:20.5. Problem is I can't find any
> of the old replays with the older differential settings.

Byron is just saying to aim towards 30/85/1 ie use the stiffest (lowest
number) power ramp you can get away with & the ditto loosest coast ramp,
make small changes in that direction rather than going straight to the
extreme. More than one clutch is only useful for an 85 power ramp, any
stiffer & the steps between each clutch are too large (60 power with 2
clutches is stiffer than 30 power with 1 clutch, but 85 power with 5
clutches is still softer than 60 with 1).

GH's times with any given setup are not representative of the general trend,
you will learn more by comparing your setup to a driver who is closer to
your natural level. In general faster times can be achieved by tending
towards the opposite end of the LSD settings range that you are currently
at, simply because it makes the car more directionally unstable - the car
will rend to want to keep turning once you have started turning. There is no
short-cut though, the whole setup is just a bunch of compromises to make the
car as willing to do what you want it to.

Most of my setups use 60/45/1. Use a tighter coast ramp & a higher gear to
get less engine braking while maintaining stability.

Malc.

Malc.

Old October 5th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dan Leach[_1_]

My rank is -76 (no idea wher that puts me in rank anymore ) and i have a
1.18.1 at kya and pretty much all my setups are 70/45 1 or 2