Help with GPL Kyalami

Old October 1st 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

Default Help with GPL Kyalami

My goal is to get a sub 1:20.50, but my best so far is a 1:20.75, and I seem to vary betwen low 1:21's to 1:22's.
Looking for help or advice. I using a setup very similar to the GH1 setup for Kyalami. I've been messing with this for
about 3 days and seem to have hit a wall. It's a struggle just to get low 1:21's.

Here is a link to a zip of my setup, the fast lap replay, and a typical practice run (where best lap is 1:21.29).

http://jeffareid.net/gpl/jrkl.zip

Old October 1st 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Jeff Reid wrote:
> My goal is to get a sub 1:20.50, but my best so far is a 1:20.75, and I seem to vary betwen low 1:21's to 1:22's.
> Looking for help or advice. I using a setup very similar to the GH1 setup for Kyalami. I've been messing with this for
> about 3 days and seem to have hit a wall. It's a struggle just to get low 1:21's.

You don't say which car (I haven't seen the replay)

The biggest gain I ever got in GPL was after several years of league
racing to take a year or so out doing FDs and F2s. On return to F1s I
took a chunk of time out of my PBs having spent ages flogging away at
them before. My Ferrari times went from low 21s to high 19s at Kyalami
running the same setup.

I couldn't tell you what I did differently though. I think it is
possible that once you have become really familiar with a track it is
hard to unlearn it and do anything different. After driving the lower
powered cars you have to relearn braking, turn in and gear change points
and when you can get back on full throttle. For it to work I guess it
needs to become second nature in the other formulae first.

Not the quickest solution though!

Cheers
Tony
Old October 1st 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> You don't say which car (I haven't seen the replay)

Lotus.

> The biggest gain I ever got in GPL was after several years of league

Ok, so maybe after several years, I'll get this. Was hoping for something
shorter.

Old October 1st 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Peter[_1_]

In article <qZJTg.2404$ef2.1449@fed1read09>,
says...
> My goal is to get a sub 1:20.50, but my best so far is a 1:20.75, and I seem to vary betwen low 1:21's to 1:22's.
> Looking for help or advice. I using a setup very similar to the GH1 setup for Kyalami. I've been messing with this for
> about 3 days and seem to have hit a wall. It's a struggle just to get low 1:21's.
>
> Here is a link to a zip of my setup, the fast lap replay, and a typical practice run (where best lap is 1:21.29).

http://jeffareid.net/gpl/jrkl.zip

Have you had a look at some of the hotlap replays (if they're still
around). Plus, there used to be a program (forget its name) that used
to allow you to compare 2 or more saved laps together. This could then
show you where you're losing the most time compared to say an alien
hotlap, or even a different one of your own. It's surprising sometimes
how an overall slower lap can have been faster in some corners than your
best lap.

--
Pete Ives
Old October 1st 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> Have you had a look at some of the hotlap replays (if they're still
> around). Plus, there used to be a program (forget its name) that used
> to allow you to compare 2 or more saved laps together. This could then
> show you where you're losing the most time compared to say an alien
> hotlap, or even a different one of your own. It's surprising sometimes
> how an overall slower lap can have been faster in some corners than your
> best lap.

I'm using replay analyzer, comparing my laps and the reference lap. My
main problem is the last 35% of the lap.

In the replay of the 1:20.751 lap, I get a good (for me) 25% and 50% time,
mostly because at the end of the straight, I get the next two rights
good, especially the 2nd one, where I brake late and hard right into a
good line and speed for that second right. Then I get a good run on the
next left where you use all of the track.

After dozens of laps, I'm getting better on the last part of the track,
so it's just a case of combining the best parts of various laps into
a single lap, or "miracle happens here". As I learn the trak, I'm
braking further into the the corner entry, but I don't really trail
brake, instead I just use the coast side differential, sometimes
downshifting to control entry speeed, then upshifting to exit.

Old October 1st 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Jeff Reid wrote:

>> The biggest gain I ever got in GPL was after several years of league

> Ok, so maybe after several years, I'll get this. Was hoping for something
> shorter.

The point being the gain was made after several years of F1 by switching
to FD/F2 and then back. *Immediately* after switching back I was over 1
sec faster. It is the switch rather than the several years that is
important

Cheers
Tony
Old October 1st 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> The point being the gain was made after several years of F1 by switching to FD/F2 and then back. *Immediately* after
> switching back I was over 1 sec faster. It is the switch rather than the several years that is important

Ok, I never tried those cars. I'm starting to get more consistent in getting low
1:21's, and if I can just put the best parts of different laps into a single lap,
I'll get there. For me improving my time at Nurburg Ring (Nordschleife) was a bit
easier, because I've used that track on so many other games, and it only took a
few days to join the 500 second club, with a 8:15.32, which accounts for about
1/2 of my negative GPL Rank of -12.

Old October 2nd 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

Making some progress, a 1:20.90, then a 1:20.79, with a more conservative
approach, trying to get the apexes, especially the last 30% of the track.

May get a sub 1:20.50 within a week, depending on how much time I have.

Old October 2nd 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes[_1_]

Lowering the acc ramp and raising the decelleration ramp makes you go
faster. Takes a little getting used to but lap times come down.

Old October 2nd 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

A few more sub 1:21's but still losing almost 1/2 second to the
reference replay after about the 50% point. Looking at merged
replays, the reference car takes the turns just after the hairpin
a bit faster. I can do hotlaps for about 1/2 hour or so, then
I start getting worse, not sure what's going on. Anyway,
I updated my zip file with the setup and 4 of my sub 1:21 runs.

http://jeffareid.net/gpl/jrkl.zip