GTL - StarForce Issues?

Old May 2nd 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default GTL - StarForce Issues?

Dave Henrie wrote:

> Does this sound like a Starforce issue? :
>
> I have had GTR on since it's USA release and it's fully patched. I also
> have a DVD recorder that uses Nero Software. Nero worked fine in the past.
> But after not using it for some time, I have recently tried to back up all
> my rFactor tracks and run into some complications. If I use the Nero
> StartSmart icon, my system goes into some sort of shutdown, IMMEADIATELY.
> The system leds are still lit but the screen goes black and in a very short
> time the monitor shuts down. No set of key presses that I have tried can
> break this odd lockup.
> I have to hit the Reset or Power Off button on the box to reboot and
> reload windows(SP Pro SP2) If I choose the start menu for the Nero
> SmartStart program(kinda like a Nero menu system for all the various Nero
> utilities) that too will STOP My system cold. And another reboot.
> However, if I choose an individual Nero program like Nero Express, THEN
> and ONLY THEN can I run the program and burn a data disc.
>
> Starforce? or just a klutzed up system?

Certainly seems in line with issues raised. There is a dilemma for users
mixing games and sims with media tasks that Starforce can cause issues
with DVD burning it seems. The answer may be to have multiple partitions
but this is a bit of a pain. I am fortunate that my racing machine is
physically a different box than my general utility PC, but that is
hardly an answer. A great shame when some of the best sims use this.

Personally I have never had an issue, even when I did have a starforce
protected game on my main machine, but that doesn't mean it doesn't -
all the symptoms sound right for it to be a starforce issue
unfortunately Dave.

Cheers
Tony
Old May 3rd 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

The karge majority of people have no problems. The majority of people
with problems have fixed them by removing the game. The possibility of
actual damage is, I believe, small.

Old May 3rd 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Many people have bought GTL. Most have no problems. Some people take
Starforce as a personal insult and get quite exercised about it. I
wouldn't pass up a great sim because a few people scream about
Starforce. In fact, I didn't. No problems here.

Old May 3rd 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

My choice is to not buy any game with StarForce in it. I actually research
it before buying.

It's my decision. The publishers can care or not care that they lose a
customer.

I WOULD have bought GTL by now if it weren't for StarForce.

-Larry

oups.com...

Old May 3rd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Larry" > wrote in news:AB36g.39523$_z2.6266@dukeread02:

> My choice is to not buy any game with StarForce in it. I actually
> research it before buying.
>
> It's my decision. The publishers can care or not care that they lose
> a customer.
>
> I WOULD have bought GTL by now if it weren't for StarForce.
>
> -Larry
>
> "Bob" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Many people have bought GTL. Most have no problems. Some people take
>> Starforce as a personal insult and get quite exercised about it. I
>> wouldn't pass up a great sim because a few people scream about
>> Starforce. In fact, I didn't. No problems here.

Here is a pipe dream...Simbin has already stated publicly their
intention to abandon SF. Wouldn't it be cool if they then provided some
utility that would allow GTR and GTL to operate without SF kludging up our
systems? (I was about to dream that it would eliminate SF completely, but
too many other companies bought into the SF concept, that would break those
titles)

dave henrie
Old May 3rd 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Im glad. GTL isn;t Nascar2003 on Ovals so Starforce did us all a favor not
having to hear yet again how Larry feels NR2003 is "The Best" sim out and
how ISI stuff "just doesnt feel right" to him.

Thank god for Starforce <vbseg>.

Mitch

Old May 3rd 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Mitch" > wrote in news:uC46g.64786$_S7.43258
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

> <vbseg>.

I had to think for a moment or two...lol!

dh
Old May 3rd 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Yeah, what Mitch said. I still don't think NR2003 has been superceeded.

Yet.

I know you hate it. That's fine.

-Larry

. com...

Old May 3rd 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

No hate involved. I give NR2003 it's full and deserved due. IMO it's time
as a competitive SIM has long since past is all. It's been fully exploited
to the point a regular guy gets smoked unless he uses exlpoits. Despite
your nearly delusional idea that aids and roofriding doesnt give a
wear/fuel/situational advantage.

From what Ive seen lately I don't think we will ever again have the
communtity we did with both GPL and NR2003. Things are just to spread out
now. Too many choices has all but ruined online racing. If you can find 5
guys that want to run the same thing you are doing VERY well. And once you
do find a few that want to run similar events you always get the 1-2 that
want to run the slowest class car just cause they prefer it. Mixed class
racing with less than 15 racers on a 3 mile road course verges on crazy imo
but it seems to be the norm lately

Mitch

Old May 3rd 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Larry" > wrote in news:9B66g.19455$fG3.7497@dukeread09:

> Yeah, what Mitch said. I still don't think NR2003 has been superceeded.
>
> Yet.
>
> I know you hate it. That's fine.
>
> -Larry

As I posted somewhere recently(it all merges together 5 seconds after I
post) There is still a cadre of SCGT beleivers. Doesn't make'm wrong, but
doesn't make'm right either.

dave henrie

Starforce again mike Simulators 0 January 11th 06 04:15 AM
Starforce Mike Beauchamp Simulators 1 October 17th 04 11:55 PM
FS-Automotive Industries --Several issues 1937 and 1938 Mike Petty Antique cars 0 July 14th 04 01:22 AM
Article: GPS Vehicle Tracking System Issues for the Buyer Johann Blake General 0 January 16th 04 11:42 AM