Help.... Lights in my '86 dash went out.

Old October 7th 04, 04:05 AM
MILF Lover

Default Help.... Lights in my '86 dash went out.

I have an '86 Vette automatic.

Over the last year, about once a week, my lights in my dash would go out and
come back on in 1-3 seconds. Never long enough to cause any problems and
not long enough to find the problem.

Well, drove the car to work today and it rained. Don't know if that makes a
difference... But when I started the car to drive home. No Dash Lights.
And they seem to be out permanently.

Now I can define the problem.....

The lights only effect the instrument cluster.....

When the Headlints are off ....The 4 peanuts lights behind are out and, the
Turn signal indicators and bright indicator are one constantly. And if you
signal a turn, the corresponding light will start blinking.

If you turn on the Headlights.... The only difference is that the high beam
indicators works....

The cluster still works.... I shine a flashlight on it, I can read it.

I figure it's a grounding problems... But where to look?

Roy
'86 Vette

Old October 7th 04, 04:20 AM
Jon Smith

Roy,

If you have the aptitude you can take it apart and correct the problem.
You will have to get the four bulbs from the dealer to get the
correct ones or if you can read the markings you can get them from radio
shack. I had an 85 and ended up taking the whole thing apart. There
are two circuit boards that have to come out to get to the display. Get
a new #2 pencil and use that to clean the contact areas for the bulbs.
This is where they screw in. The bulbs press into the socket and the
socket does the turn into the circuit board. Just taking a piece of
hose and trying to get them out the front will not fix the connectivity
problem. That is Why you have to take the back cover off to gain access
to the mother and daughter board. Well, once you get the thing taken
apart you will see how easy it is. Just be patient and use a nice cloth
to protect the front of the display. Oh, to get the display out you
will have to remove the headlight knob. It has a tang on the back of
the knob that you pull towards you as you pull on the knob. Then undo
the screws on the side and you will also have to take the center console
cover off to get the instrument cover off. The harness is a tight fit
but with a screwdriver you can depress the clip to get it off on the
right side of the unit. I unscrew the display first and then with the
left side pulled out a bit I get access to the harness.

Old October 7th 04, 04:20 AM
Jon Smith

Old October 7th 04, 05:49 PM

Had them go out on my 84. Checked all ground wires and still had the
same problem. Finally got a volt ohm meter and found the ground side
of the bulb socket and ran a ground wire to it. 8 years later and
they haven't gone out again.

Old October 7th 04, 05:49 PM

Old October 8th 04, 04:57 AM
Roy Rezabek

Thanks for the info....

I probably didn't explain it quite right. I put in 2 bulbs last year. And
this isn't a bulb problem. It's more extensive than that. I think it's a
ground wire problem. Just want to know if this is common and a possible
places to look.

I can read the display during the day. At night I can read it by shining a
flashlight on it.

Thanks

Roy

Old October 8th 04, 04:57 AM
Roy Rezabek

Old October 8th 04, 05:00 AM
Roy Rezabek

Thank you....

If I understand you... All your lights went out and you solved the problem
by taping into the ground of one of the bulb sockets, you created a new
ground and it started to work? Sounds logical.

Roy

Old October 8th 04, 05:00 AM
Roy Rezabek

Old October 10th 04, 09:20 PM

Thats what I did. Had display unit completely apart once and they
have metal fingers that slide from display through the circuit board.
believe one of them was corroded and was causing the problem. Didn't
want to mess around in there too much so did the ground to bulb. Never
had any problems after that.....

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:00:02 -0500, "Roy Rezabek"
> wrote:

>Thank you....
>
>If I understand you... All your lights went out and you solved the problem
>by taping into the ground of one of the bulb sockets, you created a new
>ground and it started to work? Sounds logical.
>
>Roy

.. .