Help selecting tires?

Old August 20th 04, 08:34 PM
Garth Vader

Default Help selecting tires?

Hi,

I posted a question last week about tire sizes, but didn't get any response.
I don't think my title was appropriate.

I have a 1995 Ford Windstar and I need new tires. I've narrowed down my
selection to the Michelin Harmony or HydroEdge. The tire size for this van
(according to the placard in the door) is 215/70-15.

(1) Is the HydroEdge worth the extra money? I will be driving in snow as
well.
(2) Should I go with a narrower tire? 205/75-15 or ??? I understand that a
narrower tire gives better snow handling.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Old August 20th 04, 08:52 PM
ray

Garth Vader wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posted a question last week about tire sizes, but didn't get any response.
> I don't think my title was appropriate.
>
> I have a 1995 Ford Windstar and I need new tires. I've narrowed down my
> selection to the Michelin Harmony or HydroEdge. The tire size for this van
> (according to the placard in the door) is 215/70-15.
>
> (1) Is the HydroEdge worth the extra money? I will be driving in snow as
> well.
> (2) Should I go with a narrower tire? 205/75-15 or ??? I understand that a
> narrower tire gives better snow handling.
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

1) If you're replacing all 4 tires changing tire sizes is fine - if
you're only doing two I'd keep the same size all the way around.

2) I don't think I'd worry too much about deviating from stock size to
increase handling or snow capability - one size up/down is only 10mm
(less than a 1/2 inch) and I think to really notice any handling
differences you'd need a bigger change than that. Like from 205/75 to a
235/60 you'd notice some change - probably more based on the fact a
235/60 would be more of a performance tire... my motto - regular car,
regular tires, regular size. Makes things simpler. (Performance and
race cars are a different story.)

Lastly, you have a _minivan_ - how often are you cornering at >.5G
anyway?

Ray

Old August 20th 04, 10:11 PM
ray

Garth Vader wrote:
>>Lastly, you have a _minivan_ - how often are you cornering at >.5G
>>anyway?

> Not too much. All I really want is a quality tire that will handle well in
> rain & snow. ie - good traction for _reasonable_ driving.

From Tirerack.
215/70-15's

Price:
Harmony: $84
HydroEdge: $100
(so that's $64 extra for 4 tires... + taxes)

Wear:
HydroEdge: 760
Harmony: 680

Honestly, it seems like a tossup. I'd probably spring the extra few
bucks for the HydroEdge - they'll last a bit longer (10% in theory.)
But the Harmonys get good reviews and are cheaper.

fwiw, tirerack.com is offering $40 rebate if you buy 4 HydroEdge tires
which makes them almost the same price. According to Michelin's website
they are their "premium" all-season radial vs the Harmony.

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/index_4.html

Ray

Old August 20th 04, 10:15 PM
Garth Vader

Old August 21st 04, 01:23 AM
Ray

Garth Vader wrote:
>>Lastly, you have a _minivan_ - how often are you cornering at >.5G
>>anyway?

> Not too much. All I really want is a quality tire that will handle well in
> rain & snow. ie - good traction for _reasonable_ driving.

crap. I had posted a good response at work before going home... no sign
of it. Short answer - the HydroEdge are one step up according to
Michelin, and tirerack.com is offering a $40 rebate if you buy 4, so the
price ends up being $90 per instead of $84 per for a better tire. I'd
spring the extra $6 per tire. (slightly better tire and 10k better
treadlife. (90k vs 80k))

Ray
Old August 21st 04, 03:16 AM
Garth Vader

I have the response here in the newsgroup! Thanks very much; I'll likely go
for the HydroEdge in the stock 215/70-15 size, then.