Alignment Question

Old February 16th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Alignment Question

Q: If the Left-Rear wheel is toed IN too much, which way will the car
"pull"?

-ChrisCoaster

Old February 16th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> Q: If the Left-Rear wheel is toed IN too much, which way will the car
> "pull"?
>

> -ChrisCoaster

left.

nate

Old February 16th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> Q: If the Left-Rear wheel is toed IN too much, which way will the car
> "pull"?
>

> -ChrisCoaster

Right.

--
Thank you,

Old February 16th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Yes, left, because it will be pushing the rear of the car right.

Like on a rear-wheel steer forklift, to turn left, the rear wheels
point to the right, the ass-end goes right, pointing the front of the
vehicle to the left.

Dave

Old February 16th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"ChrisCoaster" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Q: If the Left-Rear wheel is toed IN too much, which way will the car
> "pull"?
>

> -ChrisCoaster

Rear toe being out of spec will not cause a pull. Just how far IN is
*too much* ? What problem(s) are you having with the vehicle ?

Old February 16th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> ChrisCoaster wrote:
> > Q: If the Left-Rear wheel is toed IN too much, which way will the car
> > "pull"?
> >

> > -ChrisCoaster

> left.

Well, we now have every possible answer. It seems to me that if one side
of the car (the left) has more rolling resistance than the other, it will
pull
toward the side with the resistance, just as Nate says.

A little extra toe in on the left side would also make the rear of the car
wander
to the right, wouldn't it? This would make the front inch toward the left.

Or am I completely caught off base.

My stepdaughter had a problem with a GM rear axle, and the only thing she
noticed was that the tires wore to the belts in a few months. The shop
aligned
the FRONT wheels and sent her on her way. I didn't buy into this, and when
I talked to them, they checked the rear, and found a bent rear axle.

Old February 16th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Agreed, the wheel would have to way out, visibly out to cause a pull, not
likely. I assume this is a live axle, nice to know what kind of rear
suspension this is. Also when trying to get the st wheel straight the
thrust angle would be way off and getting the wheel straight would require
manual adjustments to comp for the thrust angle.

Old February 16th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Well, like a complete suitcase face(!) I backed my '05 Malibu sedan up
rather *briskly* out of the parking space while I had the steering
wheel over to the left. With all the snow we've had up here I didn't
see the raised island and backed my left rear up over it. Put a small
chip in the rim too. And since then the car's been pulling left and
there's also a "roar" coming from the back that varies with speed. No
vibration, just a roaring sound.

Old February 16th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article .com>,
"ChrisCoaster" > wrote:

> Well, like a complete suitcase face(!) I backed my '05 Malibu sedan up
> rather *briskly* out of the parking space while I had the steering
> wheel over to the left. With all the snow we've had up here I didn't
> see the raised island and backed my left rear up over it. Put a small
> chip in the rim too. And since then the car's been pulling left and
> there's also a "roar" coming from the back that varies with speed. No
> vibration, just a roaring sound.

Bent axle and/or schmucked bearing, I'd guess.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info