rack and pinion

Old February 3rd 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
limehand[_2_]

Default rack and pinion

My '87 Golf has been diagnosed as having R&P damage (sticks on turns
and clunks when steering wheel is turned while stationary) I have told
this is not worth fixing as it is too expensive ...Iam wondering just
how difficult it is to exchange the R&P ...

thanks

Michael
Old February 3rd 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

For an experienced shop I would guess a few hours. On my 84 with
manual steering I think it was 4 bolts on the rack to get it loose
from the body. A bolt at the U-joint which is the steering input.
Measure the tie rods, unbolt. I happened to do new tie rods.
reassemble and align. With power steering I would guess two more lines
so you have to add fluid and purge of air to the task. I had already
replaced the rack boots a few years prior so I re-used them.

Note that the Rabbit has a different frame assembly so the 87 may be a
bit more challenging. I see a picture of the rack in this web article.
It does not look all that different from the Rabbit rack. Mounts in a
different place but otherwise the same concept. If you have already
pressure cleaned all around the rack it is not such a horrid job. Just
lots of words said trying to contort to reach bolts.
http://www.vwclub.co.za/vwforum/view...253c 629c959f

Old February 3rd 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default rack and pinion '87 Golf

I think the hardest part is working those hydraulic lines off and on without
breaking them.

"limehand" > wrote in message
> My '87 Golf has been diagnosed as having R&P damage (sticks on turns
> and clunks when steering wheel is turned while stationary) I have told
> this is not worth fixing as it is too expensive ...Iam wondering just
> how difficult it is to exchange the R&P ...
>
> thanks
>
> Michael

1995 Infiniti J35 rack & pinion Steve Walker[_1_] Technology 0 November 4th 06 11:32 AM
rack and pinion? JHI Dodge 1 October 18th 05 11:03 AM
rack and pinion prices for a LH car Zentraleinheit Chrysler 12 June 30th 05 06:59 PM
Rack & Pinion ironrod Ford Mustang 9 February 1st 05 04:45 PM
Rack and Pinion failure Tom B Chrysler 8 January 29th 05 04:52 PM