Build it they will come....

Old March 17th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ND

Default Build it they will come....

I just finished reading a small article on the new Hyundai Genesis which is
considered a new pony car they are about to release. The article was to
small to bother posting the link and you can easily find better sources to
find out more information.

My point I wanted to make is this. When the original Mustang was released it
filled a void in the auto industry with an affordable performance vehicle
creating a new bread of cars we call the Pony Cars. With this new Hyundai
packing 306 hp from a 6 cylinder at a more affordable price I am betting
that it will change the automotive scene once again. Perhaps it will
encourage Ford to get back to basics of being a more affordable sports car.
I think thats were many of us feel let down with the so called "fair market
value" over pricing and the likes of the Shelby, a vehicle that no way is
considered afFORDable. If Ford were smart make the Mustang what it was to us
all best bang for the buck and then bring back the GT40 or a real Cobra to
fight off the Corvette's, Vipers, and such. Whats your opinions?

Nick

Old March 17th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Scott W.

"ND" > wrote
> With this new Hyundai packing 306 hp from a 6 cylinder at a more
> affordable price I am betting that it will change the automotive scene
> once again.

I'd read that it was going to be a 4.6L V8, obviously not the Ford engine
but a new Hyundai V8.

Scott W.

Old March 17th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Coel

"ND" > wrote in message
>I just finished reading a small article on the new Hyundai Genesis which is
>considered a new pony car they are about to release. The article was to
>small to bother posting the link and you can easily find better sources to
>find out more information.
>
> My point I wanted to make is this. When the original Mustang was released
> it filled a void in the auto industry with an affordable performance
> vehicle creating a new bread of cars we call the Pony Cars. With this new
> Hyundai packing 306 hp from a 6 cylinder at a more affordable price I am
> betting that it will change the automotive scene once again. Perhaps it
> will encourage Ford to get back to basics of being a more affordable
> sports car. I think thats were many of us feel let down with the so called
> "fair market value" over pricing and the likes of the Shelby, a vehicle
> that no way is considered afFORDable. If Ford were smart make the Mustang
> what it was to us all best bang for the buck and then bring back the GT40
> or a real Cobra to fight off the Corvette's, Vipers, and such. Whats your
> opinions?
>
> Nick

It probably is only automatic, no manual trans.
Hyundai used to have poor quality, but they have improved in the last few
years.

Old March 17th 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_61_]

"Scott W." <69ta_mustangatcomcastdotcom> wrote in
:

> "ND" > wrote
>> With this new Hyundai packing 306 hp from a 6 cylinder at a more
>> affordable price I am betting that it will change the automotive
>> scene once again.

> I'd read that it was going to be a 4.6L V8, obviously not the Ford
> engine but a new Hyundai V8.
>
> Scott W.

Indeed. Same displacement as the Mustang, but with "close to
375 horses" as per the article:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._genesis_sedan
Old March 17th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Bob Willard

ND wrote:

> I just finished reading a small article on the new Hyundai Genesis which is
> considered a new pony car they are about to release. The article was to
> small to bother posting the link and you can easily find better sources to
> find out more information.
>
> My point I wanted to make is this. When the original Mustang was released it
> filled a void in the auto industry with an affordable performance vehicle
> creating a new bread of cars we call the Pony Cars. With this new Hyundai
> packing 306 hp from a 6 cylinder at a more affordable price I am betting
> that it will change the automotive scene once again. Perhaps it will
> encourage Ford to get back to basics of being a more affordable sports car.
> I think thats were many of us feel let down with the so called "fair market
> value" over pricing and the likes of the Shelby, a vehicle that no way is
> considered afFORDable. If Ford were smart make the Mustang what it was to us
> all best bang for the buck and then bring back the GT40 or a real Cobra to
> fight off the Corvette's, Vipers, and such. Whats your opinions?
>
> Nick

Yet another Mustang "competitor" without a manual tranny. Yawn.
--
Cheers, Bob
Old March 17th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

ND wrote:
> I just finished reading a small article on the new Hyundai Genesis which is
> considered a new pony car they are about to release. The article was to
> small to bother posting the link and you can easily find better sources to
> find out more information.
>
> My point I wanted to make is this. When the original Mustang was released it
> filled a void in the auto industry with an affordable performance vehicle
> creating a new bread of cars we call the Pony Cars. With this new Hyundai
> packing 306 hp from a 6 cylinder at a more affordable price I am betting
> that it will change the automotive scene once again. Perhaps it will
> encourage Ford to get back to basics of being a more affordable sports car.
> I think thats were many of us feel let down with the so called "fair market
> value" over pricing and the likes of the Shelby, a vehicle that no way is
> considered afFORDable. If Ford were smart make the Mustang what it was to us
> all best bang for the buck and then bring back the GT40 or a real Cobra to
> fight off the Corvette's, Vipers, and such. Whats your opinions?

The Hyundai pony car needs a V-8 to succeed, IMO. We have seen the
concept of a sports car with a strong V-6 time and again from Toyota,
Nissan etc. and it has failed. If the car has a large bang-for-the-buck
quotient like the Mustang GT then it will sell. Hyundai has come leaps
and bounds from its early days and is now one of the best made car
brands sold. The new Genesis shows me they can read the market here in
the USA and provide an excellent car for a very good price. Look for
that car to sell like hot cakes.
Old March 17th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Mar 16, 6:30 pm, "ND" > wrote:

> My point I wanted to make is this. When the original Mustang was released it
> filled a void in the auto industry with an affordable performance vehicle
> creating a new bread of cars we call the Pony Cars. With this new Hyundai
> packing 306 hp from a 6 cylinder at a more affordable price I am betting
> that it will change the automotive scene once again. Perhaps it will
> encourage Ford to get back to basics of being a more affordable sports car.
> I think thats were many of us feel let down with the so called "fair market
> value" over pricing and the likes of the Shelby, a vehicle that no way is
> considered afFORDable. If Ford were smart make the Mustang what it was to us
> all best bang for the buck and then bring back the GT40 or a real Cobra to
> fight off the Corvette's, Vipers, and such. Whats your opinions?

Opinions? On the Usenet?

Mine:

First, you are talking about the Genesis coupe, not the sedan as other
posters have linked to. The coupe was originally rumored to have a V8
but the packaging won't work so it will be a six. Here's a Car &
Drive link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ept_auto_shows

Mustangs must always have V8's. The Probe thing settled that. If
they pull the V8 from the Mustang they will lose the market they now
monopolize and they will not attract any rice boys.

A Hyundai does not need a V8. The rice boys actually disdain V8's. An
actual conversation I had with a couner monkey at the local Kragens:
He and another monkey and another customer were talking about some
damn Honda build and I merely stated the obvious, that it costs a lot
of money to get power out of small fours and the same performance is a
lot cheaper with a V8. Monkey #1 says, yes but you can get more from
a Honda. "It's called pressurized induction," says he. I guess this
guy never considered that you can also throw a blower on a V8 and the
more all-motor hp you start with the more blown hp you'll end up with.
I did not share this insight. It's a lost cause. Point being, these
guys -- who are the target market for this new Hyundai -- have this
incurable blind spot, that somehow big cubes are a bad thing.

Another ricer story: I'm down at my neighborhood horse track and the
ricers are running an autocross in the parking lot. A guy comes over,
mainly to tell me I'm parked in a bad spot. But he also mentions about
a Civic 2-door that's going by on the course, that it's got an Acura
engine and it's owned by a Honda tech and it's got 280 hp at the
wheels. Well that's pretty impressive from a 2-liter, and one pulling
less than 3000 lbs. But still, 280 rwhp is hot stuff? Yawn.
Probably cost more than a 450 rwhp small block.

This new Hyundai will not make much of a splash. The WRX and the EVO
are at the same performance level and while they're in the $30,000
range they still are selling nowhere near the levels of the original
Mustang. A Hyundai for $5000 less will do no better. Ford sold 1.2
million Mustangs in the first two years of production, when the US had
about one-half the population it has today. I did this calculation
once and found that one of seven (or maybe it was one in 11) new cars
sold in '65-'66 was a Mustang.

I would not advise Ford or anyone to stop producing a product (the
GT500) that is selling for $5000 over MSRP, in favor of a small volume
GT40 or Shelby Cobra sportscar. I wonder if Ford made money on the
GT? Gussied up Mustangs, however, are a guaranteed money-maker. If
your customers are buying a performance variant of a mass-produced
model, at prices of two to four times the price of the base V6 model,
why would you want to deny them that opportunity?

Car buyers are such babies today that you can't make money with a low
price, low weight de-contented sports coupe. Everything must have a
bank vault feel, no rattles, crashing sounds, or ride harshness, and
65 dbA road noise at 75 mph. So you either settle for low price and
low weight and with a mild motor that doesn't require big weight to
deliver the bank vault feel, or if you want the high torque high hp
you've get the big weight and the big price tag. I have a '65 Mustang
fastback and believe me no one would accept such a POS today.

180 Out
Old March 18th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ND

"Joe" > wrote in message
> "Scott W." <69ta_mustangatcomcastdotcom> wrote in
> :
>

>> "ND" > wrote
>>> With this new Hyundai packing 306 hp from a 6 cylinder at a more
>>> affordable price I am betting that it will change the automotive
>>> scene once again.

>> I'd read that it was going to be a 4.6L V8, obviously not the Ford
>> engine but a new Hyundai V8.
>>
>> Scott W.

> Indeed. Same displacement as the Mustang, but with "close to
> 375 horses" as per the article:
> http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._genesis_sedan

They wont be using the 8 cylinder in Hyundai's PonyCar according to the
latest releases. One reason was keeping costs down.

Old March 18th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

ND wrote:
> "Joe" > wrote in message
>> "Scott W." <69ta_mustangatcomcastdotcom> wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> "ND" > wrote
>>> I'd read that it was going to be a 4.6L V8, obviously not the Ford
>>> engine but a new Hyundai V8.
>>>
>>> Scott W.

>> Indeed. Same displacement as the Mustang, but with "close to
>> 375 horses" as per the article:
>> http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._genesis_sedan

> They wont be using the 8 cylinder in Hyundai's PonyCar according to the
> latest releases. One reason was keeping costs down.

Well then it's not really a Pony car now then is it....

--

h4x0r5 0n teh yu0r pC??
OH NOS!!! Yu0r MEGAHURTZ HAEV BEEN ST0LED!!!!11!

http://tinyurl.com/yjm842
Old March 18th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ND

"WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote in message
> ND wrote:
>> "Joe" > wrote in message
>>> "Scott W." <69ta_mustangatcomcastdotcom> wrote in
>>> :

>>> Indeed. Same displacement as the Mustang, but with "close to
>>> 375 horses" as per the article:
>>> http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._genesis_sedan

>> They wont be using the 8 cylinder in Hyundai's PonyCar according to the
>> latest releases. One reason was keeping costs down.

> Well then it's not really a Pony car now then is it....

By your definition nor is the Mustang SVO, Sprints, 1989 Turbo Trans Am, all
4 and 6 cylinder Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, etc...

Build Sheet goodnigh Ford Mustang 3 March 18th 08 08:17 PM
Build date by #VIN lib Corvette 2 October 9th 05 09:42 PM
How NOT to build VW engines Jan Andersson VW air cooled 2 June 5th 05 02:24 PM
Build your own ferraii... Dom Alfa Romeo 14 May 12th 05 10:48 PM
Will BMW build a 7-8 seater SUV? Jason BMW 16 January 6th 05 10:09 PM