Mustangs and law enforcement

Old December 28th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dick R.

Default Mustangs and law enforcement

Back in the late 80s early 90s, Mustang 5.0s were popular
with some law enforcement agencies. The Minnesota highway
patrol had a number of unmarked, black Mustang 5.0s. People
soon became aware of these vehicles, and would always watch
of them. It was amazing how courteous other drivers would be
when I was driving my black Capri 5.0!

Dick
Old December 30th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ND

Capri's were 4 eyed hatchbacks. I am surprised, I never saw a SSP hatch only
notchbacks and most were aero lights '87-93. Kudo's to you. I love the fox
body Stang's and Capri's.

I bet we see another Police vehicle on the newer model Mustang.

Nick

Old December 30th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dick R.

ND wrote:

> Capri's were 4 eyed hatchbacks. I am surprised, I never saw a SSP hatch only
> notchbacks and most were aero lights '87-93. Kudo's to you. I love the fox
> body Stang's and Capri's.
>
> I bet we see another Police vehicle on the newer model Mustang.

Hi Nick,
My Capri is what some folks would call a "bubble back" - a hatchback
with a large rear window. It still fooled a lot of motorists.
I remember driving on a 2 lane road in Wisconsin, when some kid made
an very unsafe pass. I hit the brakes because I saw the oncoming car.
The oncoming car was a police 5.0 Mustang, and he made an immediate
u-turn and caught up with, and stopped the kid. As I drove by, I gave the
officer a thumbs-up!

Dick
Old January 12th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:17:46 -0600, "Dick R." > wrote:

>Back in the late 80s early 90s, Mustang 5.0s were popular
>with some law enforcement agencies. The Minnesota highway
>patrol had a number of unmarked, black Mustang 5.0s. People
>soon became aware of these vehicles, and would always watch
>of them. It was amazing how courteous other drivers would be
>when I was driving my black Capri 5.0!
>
>Dick

Ford got a LOT of PR mileage out of those cop cars. Calif paid $7K per
unit. Ford wrote off the rest as advertising. And it worked. People
were buying 5.0s left and right. Of course, most of those buyers
didn't realize the difference between a simple 5.0 and an SSP.
--

Vintage Burgundy 65 Fastback 2+2, 289 OEM 4bbl, Custom C4,
OEM front disc/rear drum P/R&P, 16x8" V40s, BFG gForce
Old January 14th 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:11:22 -0800, wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:17:46 -0600, "Dick R." > wrote:
>
>>Back in the late 80s early 90s, Mustang 5.0s were popular
>>with some law enforcement agencies. The Minnesota highway
>>patrol had a number of unmarked, black Mustang 5.0s. People
>>soon became aware of these vehicles, and would always watch
>>of them. It was amazing how courteous other drivers would be
>>when I was driving my black Capri 5.0!
>>
>>Dick

>Ford got a LOT of PR mileage out of those cop cars. Calif paid $7K per
>unit. Ford wrote off the rest as advertising. And it worked. People
>were buying 5.0s left and right. Of course, most of those buyers
>didn't realize the difference between a simple 5.0 and an SSP.

I doubt they were selling them for $7K. Lots of state patrols were
buying those vehicles. And the SSP, which I assume you mean the
police package, on those cars didn't amount to much at all. In terms
of performance it was no different then any other Mustang 5.0. There
were a few extras you could order for the SSP like Silicone hoses and
perhaps a higher output alternator. The seats were not even extra
reinforced and most of them broke from the weight of the officers. The
basic car in any form was very dependable and could easily stay in
service to 150K.
Old January 14th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:57:14 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:11:22 -0800, wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:17:46 -0600, "Dick R." > wrote:
>>
>>>Back in the late 80s early 90s, Mustang 5.0s were popular
>>>with some law enforcement agencies. The Minnesota highway
>>>patrol had a number of unmarked, black Mustang 5.0s. People
>>>soon became aware of these vehicles, and would always watch
>>>of them. It was amazing how courteous other drivers would be
>>>when I was driving my black Capri 5.0!
>>>
>>>Dick

>>Ford got a LOT of PR mileage out of those cop cars. Calif paid $7K per
>>unit. Ford wrote off the rest as advertising. And it worked. People
>>were buying 5.0s left and right. Of course, most of those buyers
>>didn't realize the difference between a simple 5.0 and an SSP.

>I doubt they were selling them for $7K. Lots of state patrols were
>buying those vehicles. And the SSP, which I assume you mean the
>police package, on those cars didn't amount to much at all. In terms
>of performance it was no different then any other Mustang 5.0. There
>were a few extras you could order for the SSP like Silicone hoses and
>perhaps a higher output alternator. The seats were not even extra
>reinforced and most of them broke from the weight of the officers. The
>basic car in any form was very dependable and could easily stay in
>service to 150K.

I believe you are correct. California paid $4K per unit.

Old January 15th 09, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

wrote:

>>>Ford got a LOT of PR mileage out of those cop cars. Calif paid $7K per
>>>unit. Ford wrote off the rest as advertising. And it worked. People
>>>were buying 5.0s left and right. Of course, most of those buyers
>>>didn't realize the difference between a simple 5.0 and an SSP.

>>I doubt they were selling them for $7K. Lots of state patrols were
>>buying those vehicles. And the SSP, which I assume you mean the
>>police package, on those cars didn't amount to much at all. In terms
>>of performance it was no different then any other Mustang 5.0. There
>>were a few extras you could order for the SSP like Silicone hoses and
>>perhaps a higher output alternator. The seats were not even extra
>>reinforced and most of them broke from the weight of the officers. The
>>basic car in any form was very dependable and could easily stay in
>>service to 150K.

>I believe you are correct. California paid $4K per unit.

$4K each is even more difficult to believe. I suppose they made it up
in volume.
Old June 22nd 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
tyndareus

Default 2010 Mustang

Hi all--

I looking to buy 2010 mustang. Based on my budget I am limiting my
choices to a V6 premium or a base GT. What options would you advise to
include and exclude on both models?

Thanks very much.
Old June 22nd 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mach1

Buy it the way you want, not what someone else wants. A better way is to
ask a question about a specific option or option package.