01 C5 Service Active Handling Soon - warning

Old February 14th 06, 02:16 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 01 C5 Service Active Handling Soon - warning

I had a "Service Active Handling Soon" DIC warning and it cleared itself
overnight. Two days later I had the same warning so I took it to the
dealer. My car is still covered by GMPP. By the time I got to the
dealer the warning disappeared. They ran some checks and said there may
have been communications error. They reset everything and ask me to try
it. So far it has not showed up again. The service manager wants to be
sure there is a really a problem before going into the handling system.
Replacing the sensor on the steering column can be nasty even if GM is
paying the bill.

Anybody ever had the Service Active Handling Soon warning? If so what
was the fix?

aRKay
2001 BK/bb/6-spd Coupe
Old February 14th 06, 04:29 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"aRKay" > wrote in message
>I had a "Service Active Handling Soon" DIC warning and it cleared itself
> overnight. Two days later I had the same warning so I took it to the
> dealer. My car is still covered by GMPP. By the time I got to the
> dealer the warning disappeared. They ran some checks and said there may
> have been communications error. They reset everything and ask me to try
> it. So far it has not showed up again. The service manager wants to be
> sure there is a really a problem before going into the handling system.
> Replacing the sensor on the steering column can be nasty even if GM is
> paying the bill.
>
> Anybody ever had the Service Active Handling Soon warning? If so what
> was the fix?
>
> aRKay
> 2001 BK/bb/6-spd Coupe

A guy I work with had the same thing and when the light came on he drove it
to the dealer and did not shut the car off. It was there two other times for
the same problem and the dealer CND (could not duplicate) it. When he showed
up again with the car running they found the steering sensor fault and it
was an active fault (because the car was not shutdown since the fault was
declared.) Not really sure why they didn't act on this code the previous
times (even though the code was old.) The finally changed out the sensor.

Old February 14th 06, 09:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

It could be something as simple as a loose connection.

Check the codes stored in the DIC (assuming the dealer didn't clear
them) and post them at www.c5forum.com or www.corvettemechanic.com for
more help. The dealer may have put the codes on your service sheet as
well. The procedure to check the codes is he
http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

Old February 14th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

In article <70dIf.5830$MJ.2106@fed1read07>, "JG" >
wrote:

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
> >I had a "Service Active Handling Soon" DIC warning and it cleared itself
> > overnight. Two days later I had the same warning so I took it to the
> > dealer. My car is still covered by GMPP. By the time I got to the
> > dealer the warning disappeared. They ran some checks and said there may
> > have been communications error. They reset everything and ask me to try
> > it. So far it has not showed up again. The service manager wants to be
> > sure there is a really a problem before going into the handling system.
> > Replacing the sensor on the steering column can be nasty even if GM is
> > paying the bill.
> >
> > Anybody ever had the Service Active Handling Soon warning? If so what
> > was the fix?
> >
> > aRKay
> > 2001 BK/bb/6-spd Coupe

> A guy I work with had the same thing and when the light came on he drove it
> to the dealer and did not shut the car off. It was there two other times for
> the same problem and the dealer CND (could not duplicate) it. When he showed
> up again with the car running they found the steering sensor fault and it
> was an active fault (because the car was not shutdown since the fault was
> declared.) Not really sure why they didn't act on this code the previous
> times (even though the code was old.) The finally changed out the sensor.

JG,

Thanks for sharing the other guy's experience. Changing the sensor is a
big deal. they have to remove the entire steering column to get to the
maybe suspect sensor. My dealer is willing to do it if the DIC warning
comes on again. I worry about other things that might get screwed up
while they are changing the sensor. Ask the guy you work with if they
confirmed the bad sensor and did it FIX the problem?

aRKay

arkay at qsl.net
Old February 14th 06, 09:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> In article <70dIf.5830$MJ.2106@fed1read07>, "JG"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "aRKay" > wrote in message
>> >I had a "Service Active Handling Soon" DIC warning and it cleared
>> >itself
>> > overnight. Two days later I had the same warning so I took it to
>> > the
>> > dealer. My car is still covered by GMPP. By the time I got to
>> > the
>> > dealer the warning disappeared. They ran some checks and said
>> > there may
>> > have been communications error. They reset everything and ask me
>> > to try
>> > it. So far it has not showed up again. The service manager wants
>> > to be
>> > sure there is a really a problem before going into the handling
>> > system.
>> > Replacing the sensor on the steering column can be nasty even if
>> > GM is
>> > paying the bill.
>> >
>> > Anybody ever had the Service Active Handling Soon warning? If so
>> > what
>> > was the fix?
>> >
>> > aRKay
>> > 2001 BK/bb/6-spd Coupe

>> A guy I work with had the same thing and when the light came on he
>> drove it
>> to the dealer and did not shut the car off. It was there two other
>> times for
>> the same problem and the dealer CND (could not duplicate) it. When
>> he showed
>> up again with the car running they found the steering sensor fault
>> and it
>> was an active fault (because the car was not shutdown since the
>> fault was
>> declared.) Not really sure why they didn't act on this code the
>> previous
>> times (even though the code was old.) The finally changed out the
>> sensor.

> JG,
>
> Thanks for sharing the other guy's experience. Changing the sensor
> is a
> big deal. they have to remove the entire steering column to get to
> the
> maybe suspect sensor. My dealer is willing to do it if the DIC
> warning
> comes on again. I worry about other things that might get screwed
> up
> while they are changing the sensor. Ask the guy you work with if
> they
> confirmed the bad sensor and did it FIX the problem?
>
> aRKay
>
> arkay at qsl.net

Both of these stories sound strange, if the light was on any length of
time it will take a hard set and the dealer should be able to diagnose
and deal with the problem if there is one. What was the code, or did
you open the computer and check it while it was on?

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 15th 06, 03:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

> Both of these stories sound strange, if the light was
> on any length of time it will take a hard set and the
> dealer should be able to diagnose and deal with the
> problem if there is one. What was the code, or did
> you open the computer and check it while it was on?

The story is the way it happens, at least for me. Even
if you leave the 'vette running and the guy who writes
you up sees the lights, they'll turn it off while it
waits for service and the mechanic won't find a
problem. As was said in an earlier post, check all
the connections. My loose connection was in the
connector to the passenger door. Pat Goss mentioned
the loose connection problem a few years ago on Motor
Week (PBS).

Tip, '99 6spd coupe

Old February 15th 06, 03:08 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

I ran into this problem about a year ago. I would get that message
about once a week. At about that same time my battery died, so I
replaced it. I have not seen the "service active handling soon"
message since then.

Dude

Old February 15th 06, 04:11 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Tip" > wrote in message
>> Both of these stories sound strange, if the light was on any length
>> of time it will take a hard set and the dealer should be able to
>> diagnose and deal with the problem if there is one. What was the
>> code, or did you open the computer and check it while it was on?

> The story is the way it happens, at least for me. Even if you leave
> the 'vette running and the guy who writes you up sees the lights,
> they'll turn it off while it waits for service and the mechanic
> won't find a problem. As was said in an earlier post, check all
> the connections. My loose connection was in the connector to the
> passenger door. Pat Goss mentioned the loose connection problem a
> few years ago on Motor Week (PBS).
>
> Tip, '99 6spd coupe

You didn't answer the question, maybe because I didn't ask it
correctly. Did you open the computer and read the code while system
(ignition) was on, (not the engine)? Next question is if you know how
to open the computer? We all know how to identify a light, you need
the code number. Personally I fail to see how a loose connection in
the passengers door will trigger an active handling message but I'd
never question public television.

Once again you need to kill the engine to display the DTC codes. To
enter the onboard diagnostics, ignition on, engine off, press reset to
acknowledge any warning messages present. Press options button and
hold, and press the fuel button 4 times in 10 seconds. DTC system will
enter automatic mode and then go to manual mode when complete.

Stay tuned and if you get it open I'll tell you how to close it or you
can read your manual. The fuel, gages, trip options, E/M, and reset
buttons allow you to navigate forward and back and remove codes from
the DTC.

Yes, I have the list of codes and their function if you can retrieve
it I give it to you.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 15th 06, 12:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> > arkay at qsl.net

> Both of these stories sound strange, if the light was on any length of
> time it will take a hard set and the dealer should be able to diagnose
> and deal with the problem if there is one. What was the code, or did
> you open the computer and check it while it was on?

Dad,

I failed to get the error codes before I went to the dealer. I was told
they found a communications error that had something to do with a sensor
in the steering column. They noted the condition and reset or cleared
the error code and ask me to try it. It has been several days and I
have not seen the problem again. It could be a bad connection as
suggested but I don't recall the dealer saying anything about checking
connections.
Old February 15th 06, 12:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> Personally I fail to see how a loose connection in
> the passengers door will trigger an active handling message but I'd
> never question public television.

Interesting comment in that I carried the car in for two reasons. The
primary reason was the Service Active Handling Soon message on the DIC
and the second reason that I did not mention was the passenger window
stopped working. The dealer fixed he passenger window by replacing the
motor and just reset the communications error code associated with the
DIC warning message. I did not think the two item were related but
they did mention the window motor may have failed due to something with
a wire. I really did not pay too much attention to why it failed. I
just checked that is was working.

aRKay