No Vacuum in EGR valve #16 hose

Old November 29th 05, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default No Vacuum in EGR valve #16 hose

Hi All....

I have a little problem with my 1993 Honda Accord EGR system. The car
has 171K miles. The Engine runs fine at idle except for a slight,
inconsistant miss. Then the car has a slight hesitiation at about
1500-1800 RPM. Other than that, the car runs fine.

I checked the hose (#16) that goes to the EGR value and I determined
that it has NO vacuum in it (at idle or above 2000RPM).

What would cause NO vacuum to the line to the EGR valve?

A previous post said it might be the EGR solenoid.

How can I tell if the EGR solenoid is faulty?

I will admit to knowing very little about Hondas, but I really want to
learn.

Can someone please offer me advice to fix this problem?

Hondas are great cars and I would like to keep this one running for a
long time :-)

Old November 29th 05, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Wavy wrote:
> Hi All....
>
> I have a little problem with my 1993 Honda Accord EGR system. The car
> has 171K miles. The Engine runs fine at idle except for a slight,
> inconsistant miss. Then the car has a slight hesitiation at about
> 1500-1800 RPM. Other than that, the car runs fine.
>
> I checked the hose (#16) that goes to the EGR value and I determined
> that it has NO vacuum in it (at idle or above 2000RPM).
>
> What would cause NO vacuum to the line to the EGR valve?
>
> A previous post said it might be the EGR solenoid.
>
> How can I tell if the EGR solenoid is faulty?
>
> I will admit to knowing very little about Hondas, but I really want to
> learn.
>
> Can someone please offer me advice to fix this problem?
>
> Hondas are great cars and I would like to keep this one running for a
> long time :-)

you need to check the manual to be sure about this, but i don't think
there should be vacuum on that line all the time - only when the ecu
considers the load appropriate. besides, the actuators for that stuff
are /very/ reliable. first likelihood is that the egr valve is getting
clogged. take it off & clean it up. use a wooden spatula to remove the
gunk from the moving plug contraption, not metal - avoids scraping & gas
leakage. and the gasket will likely fall apart on removal of the egr
assembly, so buy a replacement before you start.
Old November 29th 05, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thanks for the reply Jim. Do I just have to clean the EGR valve?
Or, do I also have to clean the EGR passages under the brass plugs?
Also, if I have to clean the EGT passages, how do you take out the
plugs?? There is no way to grip them in order to take them out.
Seems like the only way to remove them is to drill them out. Am I
correct??

Thanks again!!!

Old November 30th 05, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Idle problems would be caused by an open EGR, either one that is
clogged or getting vacuum at all times.

Old November 30th 05, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Wavy wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Jim. Do I just have to clean the EGR valve?
> Or, do I also have to clean the EGR passages under the brass plugs?
> Also, if I have to clean the EGT passages, how do you take out the
> plugs?? There is no way to grip them in order to take them out.
> Seems like the only way to remove them is to drill them out. Am I
> correct??
>
> Thanks again!!!

try the valve first. if that's insufficient, do the plugs/passages.
google this group for a great pdf on the [small] drill/screw/slide
hammer technique for plug removal. DO NOT try to drill the whole plug
in one go - unless you have a source of bigger plugs.