New brakes on a 08 Accord with 27K miles???

Old November 10th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
zonie

Default New brakes on a 08 Accord with 27K miles???

I can. We have an '04 Acoord EX. The rear pads were gone at 28000 mi. We
are older and do not abuse this car and no the handbrake was never left
on. The car now has 49000 and the original front pads look about 50% worn
the replacement rear pads look to be about 40% worn this time. This set
seems to be lasting longer than the original rear pads. And I did use
genuine Honda parts. Hard to figure why the rears wear out first, but then
again cars have changed. Other thab this the car is trouble free and a
pleasure to own.
Scott

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/....makers.honda/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Old November 10th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dale Toms

I am fuming! I just picked up my 2008 Honda Accord from the dealership and
they stuck me with a $476.00 brake job bill..........

The reason I took it in is because I was getting a "screeching" noise while
I was driving down the road - not braking, but driving, not all the time,
just intermittent. Sometimes, not all the time, when braking I would also
get this noise. It started on Friday and I took it in this morning (Friday).

This car only has 27, 000 miles on it. they told me the rear brakes were
completely shot and the front brakes were about half - they suggested I have
the rotors turned and $476.00 later, I picked up the car. I told the
dealership I wanted to see the old parts and was shocked..........the new
brakes looked new and the rear brakes looked like they had 100k miles on
them.

they told me to expect to change brake pads every 30k miles............this
is unbelievable - only getting 30K miles (actually 27K) on a set of brakes.

does this sound reasonable to anyone?? I think I have an issue with the rear
brakes, but can't prove it - has anyone heard of Honda having an issue?

Please Help!

Thank You
Dale

Old November 11th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
zonie

The man said his REAR pads were worn out , not front. But seems to be
normal for late Honda's as far as rear pad wear out.
scott

Old November 11th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:31:57 -0500, Dale Toms > wrote:
>I am fuming! I just picked up my 2008 Honda Accord from the dealership and
>they stuck me with a $476.00 brake job bill..........

>The reason I took it in is because I was getting a "screeching" noise while
>I was driving down the road - not braking, but driving, not all the time,
>just intermittent. Sometimes, not all the time, when braking I would also
>get this noise. It started on Friday and I took it in this morning (Friday).

>This car only has 27, 000 miles on it. they told me the rear brakes were
>completely shot and the front brakes were about half - they suggested I have

You need to quit driving like such an asshole. You don't have come to a
screaching halt at every stop.
Old November 11th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
zonie

Very rude of you to say something like that. Like I said mine wore out at
28000 and they were never screeched as you say.
Scott

Old November 11th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bentracer and Bentrider[_2_]

On Nov 10, 5:31*pm, "Dale Toms" > wrote:
> I am fuming! I just picked up my 2008 Honda Accord from the dealership and
> they stuck me with a $476.00 brake job bill..........
>
> The reason I took it in is because I was getting a "screeching" noise while
> I was driving down the road - not braking, but driving, not all the time,
> just intermittent. Sometimes, not all the time, when braking I would also
> get this noise. It started on Friday and I took it in this morning (Friday).
>
> This car only has 27, 000 miles on it. they told me the rear brakes were
> completely shot and the front brakes were about half - they suggested I have
> the rotors turned and $476.00 later, I picked up the car. I told the
> dealership I wanted to see the old parts and was shocked..........the new
> brakes looked new and the rear brakes looked like they had 100k miles on
> them.
>
> they told me to expect to change brake pads every 30k miles............this
> is unbelievable - only getting 30K miles (actually 27K) on a set of brakes.
>
> does this sound reasonable to anyone?? I think I have an issue with the rear
> brakes, but can't prove it - has anyone heard of Honda having an issue?
>
> Please Help!
>
> Thank You
> Dale

Hello:
calm down,getting those amount of miles and doing front brake job is
about normal for front brakes.
at time you will a front brake 3 to 1 vs the rear.
and $476.00 is a bit steep you can find front pads at about $45.00-
$65.00 cutting rotors and installing the pads does take only about an
hour to do but dealerships charges you for book time, not the true
time that it really takes to do the job.
the hardest thing when doing a front brake job on a lot front FWD cars
is putting the car up on the service rack and removing the wheels.
Old November 11th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"Dale Toms" > wrote in
:

> I am fuming! I just picked up my 2008 Honda Accord from the dealership
> and they stuck me with a $476.00 brake job bill..........
>
> The reason I took it in is because I was getting a "screeching" noise
> while I was driving down the road - not braking, but driving, not all
> the time, just intermittent. Sometimes, not all the time, when braking
> I would also get this noise. It started on Friday and I took it in
> this morning (Friday).
>
> This car only has 27, 000 miles on it. they told me the rear brakes
> were completely shot and the front brakes were about half - they
> suggested I have the rotors turned and $476.00 later, I picked up the
> car. I told the dealership I wanted to see the old parts and was
> shocked..........the new brakes looked new and the rear brakes looked
> like they had 100k miles on them.
>
> they told me to expect to change brake pads every 30k
> miles............this is unbelievable - only getting 30K miles
> (actually 27K) on a set of brakes.
>
> does this sound reasonable to anyone?? I think I have an issue with
> the rear brakes, but can't prove it - has anyone heard of Honda having
> an issue?

Unfortunately, this is quite normal for rear disc brakes on a FWD car.

Rear disc brakes on a FWD car have hardly anything to do, so it's difficult
to get them warmed up. For this reason automakers make the rear pads small
and soft, so they'll manage to warm up and thus burn off corrosion-causing
moisture.

I have rear discs as well. I happen to think rear discs are a stupid idea
for road-going FWD vehicles. Rear drums are dull and boring, but far more
practical. And just as effective as rear discs.

You can save a bundle by changing the rear pads yourself, if you're so
inclined. Keep on top of them and the job will cost you less than $100 each
time.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 11th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"zonie" <sjemoomaw@nospam> wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> The man said his REAR pads were worn out , not front. But seems to be
> normal for late Honda's as far as rear pad wear out.

Normal for ALL rear-disc Hondas since the late '80s at least.

Old November 11th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dale Toms

That comment was really uncalled for..............enough said.
Thanks for your input.
Dale

Old November 11th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dale Toms

Zonie,
Thanks for your support - I was only trying to vent some steam and hopefully
learn from some other people what I should expect. I think I have deducted
the fwd vehicles with rear disc brakes are going to have this type of brake
life cycle. I don't feel like I "screech" either, mostly interstate driving.
Thanks
Dale

lkaboutautos.com...