Problem - 95 Mustang

Old April 3rd 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Falcon Guy

Default Problem - 95 Mustang

Hi.

95 Mustang - Base package. 3.8L V6 and 5speed. 127,000km's
What has happened is the car stopped running? It will start, and run for
a moment and then quit. Fine. Mechanic checked fuel pressure and found
bad pump. Replaced with new pump (not rebuild) and replace fuel filter
at the same time. Got the car back. Ran for a day and then the same
problem came back. Towed to same mechanic. Checks out the car and the
electrical's. Fuse for the pump circuit is blown.

He suspects that the first repair ( bad pump ) may have damaged the
fuse and this caused the second failure. Anyways I am now carrying a
spare fuse.

Any opinions on what to look at next, if this occurs again. The car is
well maintained. Maybe CCRM ?
Also once in awhile the Air Bag light will come on, 2 times this winter,
but it has done this for a long time, so I don't think it is related.

Thanks in Advance
Shawn
Old April 3rd 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kruse

On Apr 2, 8:41 pm, Falcon Guy > wrote:

> He suspects that the first repair ( bad pump ) may have damaged the
> fuse and this caused the second failure. Anyways I am now carrying a
> spare fuse.
>

> Also once in awhile the Air Bag light will come on, 2 times this winter,
> but it has done this for a long time, so I don't think it is related.

How reputable was the brand of fuel pump? I was talking to a shade
tree mechanic a few days ago who put in three
fuel pumps in a row from a "lifetime warranty" chain store. The first
one lasted a month, the second a week and the
third one ran for about a minute. Of course this was one where you had
to pull the gas tank.
After biting the bullet and spending a little more money the last fuel
pump he put in has been going 2+ years now.
Could have been a run of bad fuel pumps I guess, but......

I have a Ford that will blink the Air Bag light whenever the battery
is getting up there in age. Probably because the initial voltage is
low right after the car starts. It happens whenever it's cold and the
car has been sitting for a few days. After running a minute or two,
you can shut the car off and restart it and the light never comes back
on. In the summer I have no problems.
Just something to think about when you start to diagnose this.