E39/528i/Manual/98 - Engine accelerates by itself - idle revs@5000

Old November 27th 04, 11:14 PM
Pierre-Marc Bonneau

Default E39/528i/Manual/98 - Engine accelerates by itself - idle revs@5000

Hi;

my 1998 528i has started to do some "vroom vroom" when hot, since a month.
When accelerating after a few minutes of engine warm-up, it seems to "fail"
and just does some vroom...vroom (changing from -100rpm to +100rpm) and then
goes on.

I went to pick it up from the paint shop this morning (it's been sitting
there for two weeks), my battery was dead so I had to be jumpstarted by the
mechanic's rig; All went ok until after 20 minutes of riding.
It started to do does "vroom vroom" things; and when going on a stop or red
lite, idled around 5000 to 6000 rpm. And now, everytime it's hot, (well
normal running temp) it does that, there is no way of getting around it.

Anyone has an idea ?

pmb

Old November 28th 04, 12:13 AM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Pierre-Marc Bonneau" > wrote in message
> Hi;
>
> my 1998 528i has started to do some "vroom vroom" when hot, since a month.
> When accelerating after a few minutes of engine warm-up, it seems to
> "fail"
> and just does some vroom...vroom (changing from -100rpm to +100rpm) and
> then
> goes on.
>
> I went to pick it up from the paint shop this morning (it's been sitting
> there for two weeks), my battery was dead so I had to be jumpstarted by
> the
> mechanic's rig; All went ok until after 20 minutes of riding.
> It started to do does "vroom vroom" things; and when going on a stop or
> red
> lite, idled around 5000 to 6000 rpm. And now, everytime it's hot, (well
> normal running temp) it does that, there is no way of getting around it.
>
> Anyone has an idea ?
>
> pmb

Could you clarify a few things for us? For instance, what do you mean by "
Does some vroom-vroom"? When you say "changing from -100rpm to +100rpm" I
assume you mean the swing in RPM as 100RPM is pretty slow and I'm not sure
what would happen if you got the engine to do -100RPM. Some sort of time
warp perhaps ;-) Also, are you sure that your idle speed is 5000 to 6000
RPM? Normal is usually around 600-700RPM.

Kyle.

Old November 28th 04, 12:46 AM
Pierre-Marc Bonneau

Thanks for the concern;

By vroom vroom I mean that the engines burps a little bit, let's say I'm
driving at 3000 rpm; well it goes down to 2900 and then up to 3100 a couple
of times before accelerating (happens only when I try to accelerate);

and yes, id idles at 5000-6000RPM (would probably go higher but I don't have
the courage to let it go up there, I usually turn it off when I'm at 6000)

As you can see, because of this last problem the car is quite unusable in a
safe fashion; and probably those two problems are linked.

thanx!

pmb

"

Old November 28th 04, 02:48 AM
Michael Low

"Pierre-Marc Bonneau" > wrote in message m>...
> Hi;
>
> my 1998 528i has started to do some "vroom vroom" when hot, since a month.
> When accelerating after a few minutes of engine warm-up, it seems to "fail"
> and just does some vroom...vroom (changing from -100rpm to +100rpm) and then
> goes on.
>
> I went to pick it up from the paint shop this morning (it's been sitting
> there for two weeks), my battery was dead so I had to be jumpstarted by the
> mechanic's rig; All went ok until after 20 minutes of riding.
> It started to do does "vroom vroom" things; and when going on a stop or red
> lite, idled around 5000 to 6000 rpm. And now, everytime it's hot, (well
> normal running temp) it does that, there is no way of getting around it.
>
> Anyone has an idea ?

Was it running fine before it went to the paintshop? How long have you had the car?

Michael

Old November 28th 04, 07:29 PM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Pierre-Marc Bonneau" > wrote in message
> It was only doing the "vroom vroom" part for about a month prior to go
> paintshopping;
>
> I've had it for 3 years and it has always runned perfect
>
> pmb
>
> "Aldo Larrabiata" > wrote in message
>> Drunk ?
>> Do paint solvents contain alchool ?
>> Troll ?
>>
>> "Michael Low" > a écrit dans le message news:
>> > "Pierre-Marc Bonneau" > wrote in message

>> m>...

>> month.

>> "fail"

> and
>> then

> sitting

> by
>> the

> or
>> red

> (well

> it.

>> > Was it running fine before it went to the paintshop? How long have you

>> had the car?
>> >

>> > Michael

When its idling at 5000 and you engage 1st gear to drive away, what happens
to the engine speed? Does it do this as soon as the clutch is pushed, only
in neutral or both?

Kyle.

Old November 29th 04, 12:55 AM
Pierre-Marc Bonneau

it goes to 5000 (and going on...) even when engaged in a gear;
which makes it difficult to drive away without drawing too much attention

My thought is on the obd2 or something computer-like like that; but might
not be

pmb

Old November 29th 04, 09:19 AM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Pierre-Marc Bonneau" > wrote in message
.. .
> it goes to 5000 (and going on...) even when engaged in a gear;
> which makes it difficult to drive away without drawing too much attention
>
> My thought is on the obd2 or something computer-like like that; but might
> not be
>
> pmb
>
> "Kyle and Lori Greene" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Pierre-Marc Bonneau" > wrote in message
>> > It was only doing the "vroom vroom" part for about a month prior to go
>> > paintshopping;
>> >
>> > I've had it for 3 years and it has always runned perfect
>> >
>> > pmb

>> > and

>> > sitting

> jumpstarted
>> > by

> stop
>> > or
>> > (well

> around
>> > it.

> you

>> When its idling at 5000 and you engage 1st gear to drive away, what

> happens
>> to the engine speed? Does it do this as soon as the clutch is pushed,

> only
>> in neutral or both?
>>
>> Kyle.

It sounds like the throttle is stuck open. Also check around the foot
pedal. Make sure the carpet or anything else is not stuck on or behind it.

Kyle.

Old November 29th 04, 10:01 PM
Pierre-Marc Bonneau

Thanks!

I brought it this morning to my dealer (Canbec in MTL,qc), and the mechanic
just told me the throttle assembly needed a severe clean, it that it might
be all. But, he let undergo that this might not be it...

Still, you aimed good thanks!
Hopes this will work though (2 hours of labor @90+...)!

pmb

"Kyle and Lori Greene" > wrote in message

> "Pierre-Marc Bonneau" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > it goes to 5000 (and going on...) even when engaged in a gear;
> > which makes it difficult to drive away without drawing too much

attention

> > My thought is on the obd2 or something computer-like like that; but

might
> > not be
> >
> > pmb

go

since

seems

> > jumpstarted

> > stop

hot,

> > around

have
> > you

> >> When its idling at 5000 and you engage 1st gear to drive away, what

> > happens
> >> to the engine speed? Does it do this as soon as the clutch is pushed,

> > only
> >> in neutral or both?
> >>
> >> Kyle.
> >>

> It sounds like the throttle is stuck open. Also check around the foot
> pedal. Make sure the carpet or anything else is not stuck on or behind

it.

> Kyle.

Driving with disconnected ISV? Yvan Audi 38 January 26th 05 08:31 PM
protect your car's engine Waltervw Audi 3 November 30th 04 01:53 AM
protect your car's engine Waltervw Alfa Romeo 0 November 23rd 04 03:00 PM
1990 520i engine probs Work Hard BMW 3 October 28th 04 05:01 PM
New A3.. low volume whistling noise when engine is idle eko Audi 7 September 17th 04 01:54 AM