US/Canada timing belt interval scam?

Old October 22nd 04, 11:41 PM
jbourgeois

I am wondering if there are any warning signs before a timing belt breaks.
My 1998 Honda Accord has 118k and has never had the timing belt changed. I
want to know if I should do it immediately or just very soon!

Old October 22nd 04, 11:53 PM
SoCalMike

jbourgeois wrote:

> I am wondering if there are any warning signs before a timing belt breaks.

none at all. it just snaps.
Old October 23rd 04, 12:11 AM
motsco_ _

jbourgeois wrote:
> I am wondering if there are any warning signs before a timing belt breaks.
> My 1998 Honda Accord has 118k and has never had the timing belt changed. I
> want to know if I should do it immediately or just very soon!
>
> ====================

Read this, from "The unofficial rec.autos.makers.honda

FAQ PAGE"

http://honda.lathi.net/faq.html#interference

Old October 23rd 04, 01:50 AM

jbourgeois > wrote:
> I am wondering if there are any warning signs before a timing belt breaks.
> My 1998 Honda Accord has 118k and has never had the timing belt changed. I
> want to know if I should do it immediately or just very soon!

Long, long ago, on a Pinto far away, I offered to change the belt for my
sister, since she was way over the mileage. My dad and I had the car in
the driveway, pulled off some covers, and we were trying to turn the engine
with a wrench on the driveshaft pulley to line something up when the belt
broke. I may have been fussing with the tension, I don't remember, but i
pulled a broken belt off the engine that had been drive to that spot with
no indication of any impending doom.

---

Old October 23rd 04, 02:08 AM
John Ings

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:11:55 -0600, "motsco_ _" <"motsco_
> wrote:

>jbourgeois wrote:
>> I am wondering if there are any warning signs before a timing belt breaks.
>> My 1998 Honda Accord has 118k and has never had the timing belt changed. I
>> want to know if I should do it immediately or just very soon!
>>
>> ====================

>Read this, from "The unofficial rec.autos.makers.honda
>
>FAQ PAGE"
>
>http://honda.lathi.net/faq.html#interference

Good gosh! Is that still up?

Here's the URL for the new one. I've moved to the west coast.

http://www3.telus.net/public/johnings/FAQ-intro.html

Old October 23rd 04, 08:01 PM
Saintor

No, my booklet indicated 168000km (104000 miles) in normal conditions.

To the original, I agree; it is a kind of scam. I am at 140000km and will
change it soon at 6 years. 100000km / 4yrs is too early. I never heard of
premature TB failure for Accord, but for a few Civic, yes.

> No, the interval is 90,000 miles under "normal" conditions, or 60,000

miles

Old October 24th 04, 02:26 AM
Jafir Elkurd

He asked about a 91 accord....

YOUR car may very well have the 105,000 mile timing belt interval.