Removing headlight glazing?

Old November 24th 04, 02:18 PM
Alan Chapman

Default Removing headlight glazing?

Is it possible to polish out the glazing on the plastic headlight covers?
I'm buying a '99 V6 for my daughter (it's a suprise for her birthday this
Saturday). It looks brand new except that the headlights look like frosted
glass. This is the newer style body that has the clear plastic covers (not
fluted). If anyone has successfully done it can you please post what you
used and how long it took? Thanks!

Old November 24th 04, 02:52 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Alan Chapman opined in :

> Is it possible to polish out the glazing on the plastic headlight covers?
> I'm buying a '99 V6 for my daughter (it's a suprise for her birthday this
> Saturday). It looks brand new except that the headlights look like frosted
> glass. This is the newer style body that has the clear plastic covers (not
> fluted). If anyone has successfully done it can you please post what you
> used and how long it took? Thanks!

do a google search on this group using glazing polishing and headlight as
terms

I use mapei unsanded tile grout (Lowes) in a paste and a sponge and it works
great ... thoguh evidently most dont agree with me because it's "too cheap,
thus couldnt possibly work".

Cuts the "frost" fast... if you see micro-scratching THEN use a polish.

Then a UV resistant plastic wax
Old November 24th 04, 10:51 PM
Chief_Wiggum

I've used the 3m white polishing compound on a foam drill bonnet, and they
look like NEW!

Only problem is that they will revert back to "frosted" much sooner than
they originally did because there is no UV protection.

Haven't tried waxing them as BYM suggests, but is makes sense that it would
work.

Actually, though.. Mustang headlights are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP on ebay.
There's lots of aftermarkets, and there's lots of OEM's from the folks
INSTALLING aftermarkets..

Old November 24th 04, 11:39 PM
dbird

Alan Chapman wrote:

> Is it possible to polish out the glazing on the plastic headlight covers?
> I'm buying a '99 V6 for my daughter (it's a suprise for her birthday this
> Saturday). It looks brand new except that the headlights look like frosted
> glass. This is the newer style body that has the clear plastic covers (not
> fluted). If anyone has successfully done it can you please post what you
> used and how long it took? Thanks!

this is what i did to my 96 Ford Contour head lights....
open the hood and took duct tape and covered the bottom and sides of
the headlight lenses so you dont remove any paint from the fenders and
bumper... the i took a can of $1.79 Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and a
glass of water and two old face cloths... wet the cloths and ring them
out and then apply some of the polishing compound onto the rag.. rub
each lense for about 5 minutes each with the damp rags and the
plolishing compond on it... i then took the other wet rag and kept
wiping off the polishing compound.. i had some head mounted magnifiers
so i could see what was going on..(to see if it was doing anyting... and
yes it did.. the old hazy coat was coming off. it took some time but i
could tell where to work on the lenses... i then used a polishing bonnet
on an electric drill and worked on each lense for about 5 minutes each..
then lenses looked new.. but it does not last more than a few months and
then you have to start all over again... i think its the plastic gassing
off some chemicals that lets it get dull????? hope this helps.
Old November 25th 04, 12:33 AM

Where'd ya get the foam drill bonnet... ? And the polishing compound? :P
Wal-mart?

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

:

Old November 25th 04, 02:48 AM
Chip Stein

dbird > wrote in message >...
> Alan Chapman wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible to polish out the glazing on the plastic headlight covers?
> > I'm buying a '99 V6 for my daughter (it's a suprise for her birthday this
> > Saturday). It looks brand new except that the headlights look like frosted
> > glass. This is the newer style body that has the clear plastic covers (not
> > fluted). If anyone has successfully done it can you please post what you
> > used and how long it took? Thanks!

> this is what i did to my 96 Ford Contour head lights....
> open the hood and took duct tape and covered the bottom and sides of
> the headlight lenses so you dont remove any paint from the fenders and
> bumper... the i took a can of $1.79 Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and a
> glass of water and two old face cloths... wet the cloths and ring them
> out and then apply some of the polishing compound onto the rag.. rub
> each lense for about 5 minutes each with the damp rags and the
> plolishing compond on it... i then took the other wet rag and kept
> wiping off the polishing compound.. i had some head mounted magnifiers
> so i could see what was going on..(to see if it was doing anyting... and
> yes it did.. the old hazy coat was coming off. it took some time but i
> could tell where to work on the lenses... i then used a polishing bonnet
> on an electric drill and worked on each lense for about 5 minutes each..
> then lenses looked new.. but it does not last more than a few months and
> then you have to start all over again... i think its the plastic gassing
> off some chemicals that lets it get dull????? hope this helps.

wet sand them with a palm sander, you'll cut right through it. it
does need to be protected then.
Chip
Old November 25th 04, 04:55 PM
Paul

at 24 Nov 2004, ] wrote in
. com:

> Where'd ya get the foam drill bonnet... ? And the polishing
> compound? :P Wal-mart?

Walmart carries the ploishing compound alright. Auto aisle, where the
waxes and polishes are. :-) Dunno about the bonnet, you may want to try
www.harborfreight.com

--
_ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)

Old November 26th 04, 01:41 AM
Chuck

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:18:24 GMT, "Alan Chapman" >
wrote:

>Is it possible to polish out the glazing on the plastic headlight covers?
>I'm buying a '99 V6 for my daughter (it's a suprise for her birthday this
>Saturday). It looks brand new except that the headlights look like frosted
>glass. This is the newer style body that has the clear plastic covers (not
>fluted). If anyone has successfully done it can you please post what you
>used and how long it took? Thanks!

I bought a pair of headlights for my 96 mustang from 1A auto for $70
for the pair. http://www.1aauto.com/
I found them on ebaymotors.com
Their prices are better if you can find it on ebaymotors rather than
their "regular" website. I didn't see any listed for your car other
than smoked lenses. You may call them and ask..
Old November 28th 04, 04:45 AM
Alan Chapman

Thanks for all the replies. I tried elbow grease and the drill polisher
with rubbing compund and even grout (yes someone suggested grout) and
nothing worked. Was a lot of mess and trouble eventually leading nowhere.
I guess the 99 & up headlights don't take to this fix. Course if I had an
AC powered drill it might have helped. Looks like I'm going hunting for
headlights on ebay. Thanks for being helpful though.

Alan

Old November 28th 04, 07:29 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

Alan Chapman wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies. I tried elbow grease and the drill polisher
> with rubbing compund and even grout (yes someone suggested grout) and
> nothing worked. Was a lot of mess and trouble eventually leading nowhere.
> I guess the 99 & up headlights don't take to this fix. Course if I had an
> AC powered drill it might have helped. Looks like I'm going hunting for
> headlights on ebay. Thanks for being helpful though.
>
> Alan

My 89 didn't either. I polished the hell out of them and they
only looked marginally good and turned again really quick. I replaced
them.

--
YOU are the real piece of work in this post. I think you are
a couple of drumsticks short of a picnic there bud. - SVTKate