Quick question

Old August 5th 11, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default Quick question

I have an 88 Cherokee (4.0, BA10/5) and I can't find a sticker for the
correct fuel octane.

I've been using 87 octane in it but I wonder if that's correct.

Thanks!

Budd

Old August 5th 11, 07:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

Budd Cochran wrote:
> I have an 88 Cherokee (4.0, BA10/5) and I can't find a sticker for the
> correct fuel octane.
>
> I've been using 87 octane in it but I wonder if that's correct.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Budd

It could be in the owner's manual.

Unless you have 10:1 or greater compression, you don't need high octane gas.
Old August 6th 11, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"Scott in Baltimore" > wrote in message
> Budd Cochran wrote:
>> I have an 88 Cherokee (4.0, BA10/5) and I can't find a sticker for the
>> correct fuel octane.
>>
>> I've been using 87 octane in it but I wonder if that's correct.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Budd

> It could be in the owner's manual.
>
> Unless you have 10:1 or greater compression, you don't need high octane
> gas.

Bought the XJ very used (330,000+ miles) ... no manual.

And I've been a mechanic, heavy equipment and small engine, so I do
understand that I don't need higher octane than recommended ...

and that's why I asked.

I just thought someone here might know but I'll just search for a manual on
the 'net.

Budd

Old August 6th 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Budd Cochran wrote:

> I have an 88 Cherokee (4.0, BA10/5) and I can't find a sticker for the
> correct fuel octane.
>
> I've been using 87 octane in it but I wonder if that's correct.

The manual (and compression both new and as read) for my 88 MJ indicate that
87 is acceptable. In the 100k miles I've put on it, it has never seen
anything higher.

--
WHonea

Old August 6th 11, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

From my 1997 Jeep book, looking at Cherokee 4.0:

HP net brake @ rpm 190 @ 4600
Tq net lb-ft @ rpm 225 @ 3000
Displacement cc(cu) 3956(242)
Bore & stroke mm 98.4 x 86.7
Bore $ stroke in 3.88 x 3.41
Compression ratio 8.8:1
Old August 7th 11, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Will Honea wrote:
> Budd Cochran wrote:
>
>> I have an 88 Cherokee (4.0, BA10/5) and I can't find a sticker for
>> the correct fuel octane.
>>
>> I've been using 87 octane in it but I wonder if that's correct.

> The manual (and compression both new and as read) for my 88 MJ
> indicate that 87 is acceptable. In the 100k miles I've put on it, it
> has never seen anything higher.

Depends on altitude.
Use the lowest one that doesn't ping and adjust up if it does.
The biggest issue you might have is with 10% corn-juice blends.
My 82 C-10 chevy handled 10% fairly well, but some makers are more
suceptable than others.

--
DougW

Old August 7th 11, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"Will Honea" > wrote in message
> Budd Cochran wrote:
>
>> I have an 88 Cherokee (4.0, BA10/5) and I can't find a sticker for the
>> correct fuel octane.
>>
>> I've been using 87 octane in it but I wonder if that's correct.

> The manual (and compression both new and as read) for my 88 MJ indicate
> that
> 87 is acceptable. In the 100k miles I've put on it, it has never seen
> anything higher.
>
> --
> WHonea

> ---

Thanks, Will.

I use 87 octane and my altitude (5400 feet) actually allows an octane or two
drop so I'm good.

Budd

Old August 7th 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

On 8/6/2011 21:24, Budd Cochran wrote:
> "Will > wrote in message
>> Budd Cochran wrote:
>>
>>> I have an 88 Cherokee (4.0, BA10/5) and I can't find a sticker for the
>>> correct fuel octane.
>>>
>>> I've been using 87 octane in it but I wonder if that's correct.

>> The manual (and compression both new and as read) for my 88 MJ indicate
>> that
>> 87 is acceptable. In the 100k miles I've put on it, it has never seen
>> anything higher.
>>
>> --
>> WHonea

>> ---

> Thanks, Will.
>
> I use 87 octane and my altitude (5400 feet) actually allows an octane or two
> drop so I'm good.

And it if does ping, take your foot out of it, and add a gallon or so of
the next higher grade. Mine used to ping very slightly on regular at
sea level, but at current altitude of 5-10000 feet it could probably run
peanut butter.

Old August 7th 11, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Budd Cochran wrote:

> I use 87 octane and my altitude (5400 feet) actually allows an octane or
> two drop so I'm good.

Sounds right. I was over Cottonwood Pass (12,000+) a couple of weeks back
and noticed no issues - or at least nothing not expected up there. Lots of
mud and snow for July made the beast struggle a bit.

--
WHonea

Quick question BradandBrooks Ford Mustang 8 May 26th 06 04:15 PM
quick question adrianrgagne Dodge 4 December 13th 05 11:35 PM
Quick question Dennis Wik VW air cooled 2 June 20th 05 02:09 AM
quick question ice cube VW water cooled 0 November 15th 04 04:51 AM
Quick Question Drink Corvette 2 October 9th 04 02:44 PM