97 ZJ remote problem

Old June 14th 11, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default 97 ZJ remote problem

The #1 remote on my '97 ZJ Limited is having problems. It was working
intermittently, I changed the batteries, and now it seems to be dead.
The Number 2 is working fine.

I've torn it down and cleaned everything that I can find that looks like
a contact. Still no joy.

Time to see the dealer? Or is there some trick I've overlooked?

Old June 14th 11, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

J. Clarke wrote:
> The #1 remote on my '97 ZJ Limited is having problems. It was working
> intermittently, I changed the batteries, and now it seems to be dead.
> The Number 2 is working fine.
>
> I've torn it down and cleaned everything that I can find that looks
> like a contact. Still no joy.
>
> Time to see the dealer? Or is there some trick I've overlooked?

Just the few. Batteries the right type and in the correct way?
Contacts touching and not bent, loose, or shorting across the battery.

Sometimes the buttons just give up. I generally take them apart
and give a quick swish in contact cleaner, then let dry.

Fairly sure they don't need to be reprogrammed, but then again I ripped
the 93 Infrared based system out and put in a clifford. longer range,
remote start, window control, and aux output I use to open the garage
door.

Thought about a newer/better system? If you can live without all the
doodads they aren't that expensive.

--
DougW

Old June 14th 11, 12:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On 6/13/2011 8:46 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> The #1 remote on my '97 ZJ Limited is having problems. It was working
> intermittently, I changed the batteries, and now it seems to be dead.
> The Number 2 is working fine.
>
> I've torn it down and cleaned everything that I can find that looks like
> a contact. Still no joy.
>
> Time to see the dealer? Or is there some trick I've overlooked?

Also consider that the new battery may well be 'dead'... Happens,
especially with the cheap Chinese versions.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old June 14th 11, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

PeterD wrote:
> On 6/13/2011 8:46 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
>> The #1 remote on my '97 ZJ Limited is having problems. It was
>> working intermittently, I changed the batteries, and now it seems to
>> be dead. The Number 2 is working fine.
>>
>> I've torn it down and cleaned everything that I can find that looks
>> like a contact. Still no joy.
>>
>> Time to see the dealer? Or is there some trick I've overlooked?
>>

> Also consider that the new battery may well be 'dead'... Happens,
> especially with the cheap Chinese versions.

I had a package of chinese *spit* aaa batteries that came with a cheap
ass led flashlight. Paid 25c for it and just wanted the LEDs anyway.
Went to open them up the usual way (by twisting and splitting the package).

and get this.

... bent the friggin batteries ...

--
DougW

Old June 15th 11, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

On 6/13/2011 18:46, J. Clarke wrote:
> The #1 remote on my '97 ZJ Limited is having problems. It was working
> intermittently, I changed the batteries, and now it seems to be dead.
> The Number 2 is working fine.
>
> I've torn it down and cleaned everything that I can find that looks like
> a contact. Still no joy.
>
> Time to see the dealer? Or is there some trick I've overlooked?

EBay.
Old June 15th 11, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

On 6/14/2011 16:33, DougW wrote:
> PeterD wrote:
>> On 6/13/2011 8:46 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
>>> The #1 remote on my '97 ZJ Limited is having problems. It was
>>> working intermittently, I changed the batteries, and now it seems to
>>> be dead. The Number 2 is working fine.
>>>
>>> I've torn it down and cleaned everything that I can find that looks
>>> like a contact. Still no joy.
>>>
>>> Time to see the dealer? Or is there some trick I've overlooked?
>>>

>> Also consider that the new battery may well be 'dead'... Happens,
>> especially with the cheap Chinese versions.

> I had a package of chinese *spit* aaa batteries that came with a cheap
> ass led flashlight. Paid 25c for it and just wanted the LEDs anyway.
> Went to open them up the usual way (by twisting and splitting the package).
>
> and get this.
>
> ... bent the friggin batteries ...

Unless the OPs remote is different, it should have LED indicator when
you pusha da button. If that LED is nice and bright when the button is
pushed, it is more likely to be the xmitter is hosed. If no LED, then
look for batteries and check the small switches to make sure they havent
cracked loose from the circuit board. Is repairable if you have good
soldering skills. Would be mystified if it were to need reprogramming
since the code is built into the unit, and I'd be disinclined to trust a
remote that ever needed reprogramming UNLESS someone messed with the
sensor and computer.

Dealer prices suck, eBay has all sorts of them.

Old June 15th 11, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

J. Clarke wrote:
> Well turns out that I'm an idiot. I put the batteries in backwards.

PEBKAC

Been there, done that.

--
DougW

Old June 15th 11, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On 6/14/2011 6:33 PM, DougW wrote:
> PeterD wrote:
>> On 6/13/2011 8:46 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
>>> The #1 remote on my '97 ZJ Limited is having problems. It was
>>> working intermittently, I changed the batteries, and now it seems to
>>> be dead. The Number 2 is working fine.
>>>
>>> I've torn it down and cleaned everything that I can find that looks
>>> like a contact. Still no joy.
>>>
>>> Time to see the dealer? Or is there some trick I've overlooked?
>>>

>> Also consider that the new battery may well be 'dead'... Happens,
>> especially with the cheap Chinese versions.

> I had a package of chinese *spit* aaa batteries that came with a cheap
> ass led flashlight. Paid 25c for it and just wanted the LEDs anyway.
> Went to open them up the usual way (by twisting and splitting the package).
>
> and get this.
>
> ... bent the friggin batteries ...

I have the best Chinese crap story of all...

Was installing something in the trunk of a car while on vacation at my
mother's in Florida. She had my sister's drill and bits. Black bits,
no-name plastic box.

Figured no matter how bad, they'd drill the two holes I needed to mount
the thing.

Chucked up the first bit, and started, and bang, it *bent* at a 90
degree angle! Holy crap, Batman, it bent! Figured "a fluke" and grabbed
the next bigger bit in the box.

It too immediately bent at a 90 degree angle!

The only time I've ever bent drill bits at a right angle!

--
I'm never going to grow up.