Cop who did 126 MPH and Killed Two Teens -- WILL BE CHARGED

Old January 25th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Default Cop who did 126 MPH and Killed Two Teens -- WILL BE CHARGED

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22822347/

Ill. police want trooper charged in crash deaths
Two teen sisters killed after trooper lost control of car at 126 mph

updated 9:10 a.m. MT, Thurs., Jan. 24, 2008

BELLEVILLE, Ill. - Illinois State Police asked a prosecutor to charge one
of its troopers with reckless homicide in a crash that killed two teenage
sisters after he lost control of his cruiser at 126 mph.

The state police request Wednesday to the St. Clair County state's attorney
came just hours after a coroner's jury ruled the Nov. 23 collision
involving Trooper Matt Mitchell was reckless homicide.

Mitchell was on Interstate 64 en route to another accident site when his
car swerved across the median and slammed into an oncoming car, state
police have said. The occupants, Jessica Uhl, 18, and her sister Kelli, 13,
died at the scene.

A state police expert in accident reconstruction told the coroner's jury
that Mitchell was driving 126 mph when he lost control of his car, and that
Mitchell's car hit the sisters' vehicle at 102 mph, the coroner's office
said.

(snip)

---------------------

He oughta be charged with murder but i'm surprised to see him charged with
anything. Apparently this was in the line of duty but there is no excuse
for ever doing 126 mph.
Old January 25th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22822347/
>
> Ill. police want trooper charged in crash deaths
> Two teen sisters killed after trooper lost control of car at 126 mph
>
> updated 9:10 a.m. MT, Thurs., Jan. 24, 2008
>
> BELLEVILLE, Ill. - Illinois State Police asked a prosecutor to charge one
> of its troopers with reckless homicide in a crash that killed two teenage
> sisters after he lost control of his cruiser at 126 mph.
>
> The state police request Wednesday to the St. Clair County state's attorney
> came just hours after a coroner's jury ruled the Nov. 23 collision
> involving Trooper Matt Mitchell was reckless homicide.
>
> Mitchell was on Interstate 64 en route to another accident site when his
> car swerved across the median and slammed into an oncoming car, state
> police have said. The occupants, Jessica Uhl, 18, and her sister Kelli, 13,
> died at the scene.
>
> A state police expert in accident reconstruction told the coroner's jury
> that Mitchell was driving 126 mph when he lost control of his car, and that
> Mitchell's car hit the sisters' vehicle at 102 mph, the coroner's office
> said.
>
> (snip)
>
> ---------------------
>
> He oughta be charged with murder but i'm surprised to see him charged with
> anything. Apparently this was in the line of duty but there is no excuse
> for ever doing 126 mph.

Of course. Anyone traveling over 110 MPH is just askin' for it.

*snort*

Gotta love those arbitrary, pulled-from-the ass numbers, don't you? I'm
not saying that the officer may not have been at fault for some reason,
but there's quite a few people who routinely travel faster than that
(yes, in vehicles that bear more than a passing resemblance to a regular
road car) without ever killing anyone. Some of them on public roads.
Legally.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 25th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc
Rich Piehl[_2_]

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> ---------------------
>
> He oughta be charged with murder but i'm surprised to see him charged with
> anything. Apparently this was in the line of duty but there is no excuse
> for ever doing 126 mph.

You complain that everyone is a criminal coddler. They when someone
does get charged you whine that you're surprised they got charged. You
are just a chronic whiner

And tell ya' what...

Next time you see someone going that fast you have my permission to jump
out in front of his car and tell him to stop.

Take care,
Rich

God bless the USA

--
That's one of the problems in this country
The nuts don't know they're nuts.

--Jeff Foxworthy
Old January 25th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc
EAST COAST HIVE MIND[_3_]

Rich Piehl wrote:
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>
>> ---------------------
>>
>> He oughta be charged with murder but i'm surprised to see him charged
>> with anything. Apparently this was in the line of duty but there is no
>> excuse for ever doing 126 mph.

> You complain that everyone is a criminal coddler. They when someone
> does get charged you whine that you're surprised they got charged. You
> are just a chronic whiner
>
> And tell ya' what...
>
> Next time you see someone going that fast you have my permission to jump
> out in front of his car and tell him to stop.
>
> Take care,
> Rich
>
> God bless the USA

Shame on you. You want someone to mess up a nice car mowing down this
sod? Now if it's an articulated with a stout set of roo bars on the
front, then that's okay.

--
Comrade Otto The Duke Of Yamamoto
http://mryamamoto.50megs.com
Old January 25th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
tiny dancer[_3_]

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote in
message .70...

> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22822347/
>
> Ill. police want trooper charged in crash deaths
> Two teen sisters killed after trooper lost control of car at 126 mph
>
> updated 9:10 a.m. MT, Thurs., Jan. 24, 2008
>
> BELLEVILLE, Ill. - Illinois State Police asked a prosecutor to charge one
> of its troopers with reckless homicide in a crash that killed two teenage
> sisters after he lost control of his cruiser at 126 mph.
>
> The state police request Wednesday to the St. Clair County state's
> attorney
> came just hours after a coroner's jury ruled the Nov. 23 collision
> involving Trooper Matt Mitchell was reckless homicide.
>
> Mitchell was on Interstate 64 en route to another accident site when his
> car swerved across the median and slammed into an oncoming car, state
> police have said. The occupants, Jessica Uhl, 18, and her sister Kelli,
> 13,
> died at the scene.
>
> A state police expert in accident reconstruction told the coroner's jury
> that Mitchell was driving 126 mph when he lost control of his car, and
> that
> Mitchell's car hit the sisters' vehicle at 102 mph, the coroner's office
> said.
>
> (snip)
>
> ---------------------
>
> He oughta be charged with murder but i'm surprised to see him charged with
> anything. Apparently this was in the line of duty but there is no excuse
> for ever doing 126 mph.

We had a similar one here in N.C. last month, only the cop wasn't the one
who hit the sisters, it was the guy he was chasing. Doesn't really matter
though, these two poor girls are still dead.

Sisters, Suspect Die in High-Speed Police Chase

Updated: Dec. 2, 2007

Franklinton - Two sisters were killed Saturday afternoon after they were
caught in the middle of a high-speed police chase that spanned two counties.

The man fleeing police also died in the crash.

The 15-mile chase started in Franklinton on N.C. Highway 56 and proceeded
north on U.S. Highway 15 near Creedmoor into Granville County - where it
ended.

Franklinton police officer Michael Dunlap observed Guy Christopher Ayscue,
38, of Henderson, driving very erratically in a Pontiac, according to
police. Dunlap tried to stop Ayscue using his lights and siren, but Ayscue
drove off, and Dunlap pursued.

Ayscue was traveling north and went to pass another vehicle in a no-passing
zone on a hill when he hit a 1999 Kia head-on, according to police.

Linsay Erin Lunsford, 18, was driving the Kia with her little sister, Maggie
Rose Lunsford, 9, in the passenger seat. The sisters were driving to their
father's house after a shopping trip at Wal-Mart.

They were wearing seat belts, according to police, but they did not survive
the crash.

Police estimate Ayscue was driving 90 mph when he hit the sisters' car. He
also died in the crash.

"There were no skid marks," said patrol Sgt. R.P. Hargrove. "No time to
brake."

The sisters were two of six children in their family. Linsay was a student
at UNC-Greensboro and was studying to become a teacher, family members said.
Maggie, a fourth-grader at Mount Energy Elementary School, won a trophy at a
karate tournament earlier in the day Saturday.

Family members of the sisters said they want to know how the chase went so
far and why police pursued such a long distance.

"We've lost our family members. [The police] felt the need to chase
somebody. We don't even know why they were chasing him, but they killed her.
They took my sisters, and I'll never get to touch them again," said Liz Lee,
the girls' sister.

Franklinton police said an investigation into the chase is under way.

Franklinton Police Chief Ray Gilliam said Dunlap, who joined the department
in 2005 and is the agency's traffic and K-9 officer, was placed on
administrative leave with pay, per standard procedure when civilians are
seriously injured during police activity.

Franklinton has a police pursuit policy, and they will be checking to make
sure that policy was properly followed, Gilliam said. Police said they wish
they knew why Ayscue would not just pull over.

Ayscue was to face misdemeanor charges of speeding in court in Vance County
on Jan. 3, 2008. Court records show he was charged under state statute
20-141(J1), which covers driving 15 mph over the speed limit or above 80
mph.

The sisters' family members are trying to find out why a shopping trip had
to end so tragically.

"I can't even describe the loss my mother's going through right now over
something so senseless," Lee said. "And to take away two people who had so
much life and so much ambition and dreams . there just aren't words."

http://www.localtechwire.com/news/local/story/2112099/

Old January 25th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime

Nate Nagel wrote:

>Of course. Anyone traveling over 110 MPH is just askin' for it.
>
>*snort*
>
>Gotta love those arbitrary, pulled-from-the ass numbers, don't you? I'm
>not saying that the officer may not have been at fault for some reason,
>but there's quite a few people who routinely travel faster than that
>(yes, in vehicles that bear more than a passing resemblance to a regular
>road car) without ever killing anyone. Some of them on public roads.
>Legally.

I'm not certain those numbers are arbitrary. First off, as it's a
police cruiser, there's a very reasonable chance there's a "black box"
in it to report figures just like this.

Also, for radar purposes, the system has to be wired into the police
officer's speedo to be able to compensate for the officer's vehicle's
velocity when running mobile radar. Last time I was in a patrol
vehicle receiving a ticket to the policeman's ball, I noticed the read
out on the radar unit not only had my speed, but the patrol vehicle's
speed as well.

--

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
Old January 25th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Nate Nagel wrote:
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22822347/
>>
>> Ill. police want trooper charged in crash deaths
>> Two teen sisters killed after trooper lost control of car at 126 mph
>>
>> updated 9:10 a.m. MT, Thurs., Jan. 24, 2008
>>
>> BELLEVILLE, Ill. - Illinois State Police asked a prosecutor to charge one
>> of its troopers with reckless homicide in a crash that killed two teenage
>> sisters after he lost control of his cruiser at 126 mph.

So, to all the resident trolls and those who think I wasn't telling the
truth about how IL state troopers drive, there ya go.

> Gotta love those arbitrary, pulled-from-the ass numbers, don't you? I'm
> not saying that the officer may not have been at fault for some reason,
> but there's quite a few people who routinely travel faster than that
> (yes, in vehicles that bear more than a passing resemblance to a regular
> road car) without ever killing anyone. Some of them on public roads.
> Legally.

If he was driving like many of the IL state troopers I've seen in
action, he was driving unsafely. IL state troopers are unsafe at any
speed. I've seen them make everything from 35 to 110mph needlessly
dangerous.

Old January 25th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, richard wrote:

>>Gotta love those arbitrary, pulled-from-the ass numbers, don't you? I'm
>>not saying that the officer may not have been at fault for some reason,
>>but there's quite a few people who routinely travel faster than that
>>(yes, in vehicles that bear more than a passing resemblance to a regular
>>road car) without ever killing anyone. Some of them on public roads.
>>Legally.

> Those numbers aren't arbitrary. They can calculate the speed at impact
> fairly accurately. Since that speed was lower than actual, it probably
> means he had his foot on the brake in an attempt to regain control.
> Which was totally stupid.

I think Nate is refering to the resident troll's numbers. Not the ones
caclulated for the collision.

> Uh well. I can plead guilty to a bit of high speed pursuit of
> happiness myself.
> Vehicle was a 1963 Plymouth Belvidere 318 with no modifications.
> On I-275 in Cincinnati I just wanted to see what I could do with it.
> The speedometer showed 110mph when I felt the fan belt slip and backed
> off.

> At the ripe old age of 16, in a 1966 ford fairlane, I had the speed up
> at 100mph. Years later, In a 1969 dodge coronet stationwagon { yes I
> said stationwagon } 383 holly 750 quad, I had it at over 100 mph
> several times.

Fastest I'll ever admit going on a public road is 118mph in Audi A4 in
Northern Germany. Safest driving I've ever done. Disciplined KRETP is
just wonderful.

Old January 25th 08, 06:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Steve Sobol

["Followup-To:" header set to misc.transport.road.]
On 2008-01-25, richard > wrote:

> officers want to see the man tried. Usually they put the officer on
> administrative leave, which means desk duty, paid vacation or total
> suspension. But rarely prosecuted.

126 MPH.

That's beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned...

Doesn't matter if you have your lights and sirens on, you are still breaking
the law if you are not driving safely. And killing someone at 100 MPH after
having SLOWED DOWN from almost 130? If the officer wasn't going to be
prosecuted, there'd probably be a riot. And rightfully so, I believe.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA PGP:0xE3AE35ED www.SteveSobol.com
Geek-for-hire. Details: http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevesobol

Old January 25th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc
Rich Piehl[_2_]

EAST COAST HIVE MIND wrote:
> Rich Piehl wrote:
>> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>>
>>> ---------------------
>>>
>>> He oughta be charged with murder but i'm surprised to see him charged
>>> with anything. Apparently this was in the line of duty but there is
>>> no excuse for ever doing 126 mph.

>> You complain that everyone is a criminal coddler. They when someone
>> does get charged you whine that you're surprised they got charged.
>> You are just a chronic whiner
>>
>> And tell ya' what...
>>
>> Next time you see someone going that fast you have my permission to
>> jump out in front of his car and tell him to stop.
>>
>> Take care,
>> Rich
>>
>> God bless the USA
>>

> Shame on you. You want someone to mess up a nice car mowing down this
> sod? Now if it's an articulated with a stout set of roo bars on the
> front, then that's okay.

LOL! Or a snow plow?

Take care,
Rich